Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chow Chow

Options
  • 15-10-2010 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,
    Does any one know were I can get A Chow Chow? At A reasonsble price? My son and I have been lookin noe for some time. I would consider adoption of one.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, you will find it very hard to source one of these dogs in ireland as they arent very popular so not many breeders around.

Do you know much about these dogs and their temperaments?

They really arent a dog for your average person and as a family pet as they are very stubborn and not very affectionate and really arent a dog for the novice owner. They arent playful and are quite reserved.
    Im a dog lover and i would never recommend these unless you really know the breed.

They are high maintenance with their coat so you need to be prepared to put in a lot of work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know a lady in Scotland with two; they are difficult to train, aloof, don't really want to be petted and cuddled, and have cost her about £10,000 in vet's bills in the last couple of years due to various hereditary illnesses, and that's not counting cost of the special food because of, again hereditary, digestive problems. When you think of the constant washing (dogs with fluffy coats and dodgy digestive systems need a lot of bathing) I can't really imagine why anyone would want one (even my friend says that she'll never have another one).

If you're serious about getting one I'd recommend getting in touch with a breed club in the UK, since the population of Chows here is so small, and really shopping around to get the dam and sire with the best health possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 erem

A woman I work with has a couple of Chow Chows, one is quite a bit older than the other. She had to go to the UK to get the younger one a couple of years ago because as mentioned already, there are very few breeders here. On top of that, they have very small litters, most dogs will only have a single pup per pregnancy so they are quite difficult to get hold of. She tried to breed from her female several times and all attempts failed, from what she tells me they are a complicated breed and you will end up investing a lot of time and money into one if you do get hold of one. Obviously due to their 'exclusivity', they are very, very expensive to buy.

Advertisement