Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Charity really a Charity?

• 15-10-2010 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hope this is correct forum to post this. Just wanted some opinions or people in the know...

I give money to a charity every month. A guy calls to door and I give him cash. I recently got curious about it because one of the beneficiaries is CRC and I read an article on how much the CEO is paid(it's in hundreds of thousands per annum). The fund raising 'charity' is called The Care Trust. I looked them up and the fundraisers are paid quite handsomely according to themselves. They get pension benefits, commission and "excellent pay".

My question to you is do you know anything about this 'charity'? Do you think/know if they are deserving? I mean how much of the money I give gets to those in need?

I would love to know your opinions! I remember hearing of a scale that was going to be set up to measure how charitable a charity was so that you could tell how much of your money got to the cause. Was that ever set up?

I don't mean to belittle the work of those involved. I'm curious and just want to ensure those in need are getting the most benefit!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ald wrote: »
    I give money to a charity every month. A guy calls to door and I give him cash.

Bad idea, and tbh I don't know of any charities that do this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

A guy calls to door and I give him cash.
    Oh dear... Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

OH DEAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Next time he calls, tell him you are claiming the donations against your tax and you need a receipt with their registered charity number on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My question to you is do you know anything about this 'charity'? Do you think/know if they are deserving? I mean how much of the money I give gets to those in need?

Seems to be on the up. As for how much money gets to those in need, good question, depends on the work they are doing on behalf of the beneficiaries I would imagine.

Either way do not do this..
    I give money to a charity every month. A guy calls to door and I give him cash.

Tbh I'd be getting in touch with them directly to check this guy out. Then ask to be put on a Direct Debit scheme or to be able to make donations by credit/debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Their registered charity number is on their website. If you want to check whether they're legit or not I guess you need to follow up on that. If you wanna check whether the dude's legit or not you'll need to follow up with them.

It's pretty normal for CEOs of charities to receive such wages. Fundraisers are paid too, though I don't know in what amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A guy calls to door and I give him cash.

I can't even think of a facepalm image suitable enough to post for stupidity of this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

whats your address, if i call around will you give me cash too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Ald

Just to respond to the comments of it being a bad idea to give cash on the door.

I have looked into it though their offices and we are entered into a competition every month on the back of that donation. So, as far as I am aware, it is above board. It is legit. The Care Trust is owned 50/50 by CRC and Rehab.

But is my money used to its maximum potential? Do you think it's right to give it to a charity with such large sums going to CEO and fundraisers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Just to respond to the comments of it being a bad idea to give cash on the door.

I have looked into it though their offices and we are entered into a competition every month on the back of that donation. So, as far as I am aware, it is above board. It is legit. The Care Trust is owned 50/50 by CRC and Rehab.

But is my money used to its maximum potential?
    The reason I responded negatively is because you give him €20, he pockets €10, €10 is donated, He gets €9 as part of his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

But is my money used to its maximum potential? Do you think it's right to give it to a charity with such large sums going to CEO and fundraisers?

You're are this months winner!

Here's your prize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Depends what he does. He could be working his arse off fundraising for the big donations which goes directly to the beneficiaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have looked into it though their offices and we are entered into a competition every month on the back of that donation.
    So how many times have you won? or heard of a winner?
    But is my money used to its maximum potential?
    I'm sure it is.... every Saturday night in coppers by the fella you give it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

all registered charities have a number beginning in CY XXXXXXX etc

You can check these against the registered charities on the Revenue website to see if they are a registered charity.

My guess is that they are not.

Incorrect.

From their site:
    The origins of The Care Trust lie in the foundation by Rehab of the "RTB Pools and Enterprises" in 1959 and the foundation by the Central Remedial Clinic (CRC) of the "CRC Help Society" in 1960.

Pretty ambiguous terminology but it certainly doesn't state that it is a 50/50 venture or in anyway owned by either parties.

I would advise you to ring them and seek clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Ald

To quote from the leaflet I receive from donating every month:

"The Care Trust is a registered national charity, CHY 13691, supporting the excellent and necessary work of our beneficiaries; the Central Remedial Clinic, Rehab and the Mater Hospital. We are owned on a 50/50 basis by Rehab and CRC. For more information please see our website...."

Having thought for a while that the guy, who I admit seems like a genuine fella and I usually am good judge of character, was fundraising for free I will probably try find a charity that I know for certain the money is going as directly to the cause as I can possibly tell. Any suggestions? I was thinking The Simon?

Having thought for a while that the guy, who I admit seems like a genuine fella and I usually am good judge of character, was fundraising for free I will probably try find a charity that I know for certain the money is going as directly to the cause as I can possibly tell. Any suggestions? I was thinking The Simon?

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

TheZohan wrote: »

Your right, the wages are pretty poor.

Advertisement