Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi in Galway

Options
  • 15-10-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Available anywhere apart from the market (which is very nice I might add)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Also at M&S as well as the fishmonger's next to Tesco in GSC.

I've found M&S to be the nicest of all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's some on sales in Topaz garages, can't hold a candle to fresh sushi but will do in an emergency :)

Cafe Wa on Dock Road serves sushi.
    More here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The sushi at the Market is from Wa Cafe. Kappa Ya does fresh sushi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Most of the places don't have a 'raw fish' license, so the sushi is limited to cooked fish, veg etc. The guys in the fisherman *can* do fish but usually stick to smoked salmon etc due to demand. They have said that their guy will do up the 'proper' stuff if people request it for a party platter if people want. I *so* miss proper sit down sushi as an eating out treat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was in Yamamori in Dublin last weekend. If there was one of them in Galway I'd be in there all the time. I was in Kappa Ya once I thought it was dear for what I got really.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was in Yamamori in Dublin last weekend. If there was one of them in Galway I'd be in there all the time. I was in Kappa Ya once I thought it was dear for what I got really.

I will confess to getting the gobus to Dublin once, heading for Yammamori on The Quays (not mad on the George's St one), having a big sushi feast with a friend, and grabbing the bus back to Galway!!! :)

inisboffin wrote: »
    Most of the places don't have a 'raw fish' license, so the sushi is limited to cooked fish, veg etc. The guys in the fisherman *can* do fish but usually stick to smoked salmon etc due to demand. They have said that their guy will do up the 'proper' stuff if people request it for a party platter if people want. I *so* miss proper sit down sushi as an eating out treat.

Do you need a raw fish licence?

Wa Cafe often do raw fish as their daily special, I guess they can't get fresh enough fish in everyday so it's not on their regular menu. But I've had sashimi and rolls with raw fish in them there.

moonflower wrote: »
    Do you need a raw fish licence?

Wa Cafe often do raw fish as their daily special, I guess they can't get fresh enough fish in everyday so it's not on their regular menu. But I've had sashimi and rolls with raw fish in them there.

Really? I will go check them out again so. Yes, it is a
    different licence. Only ever seen salmon skin etc, but would be delighted if they now do sashimi etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Das Kitty wrote: »

Yamamori could potentially be the sexyest thing iv ever put in my mouth....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

ive often seen the fish place at tescos with sushi, is it nice? and more importantly does it contain tuna?

• Advertisement

ive often seen the fish place at tescos with sushi, is it nice? and more importantly does it contain tuna?

I've never had it, whenever I've been there it's looked gross and like it's been sitting around for a while so I didn't want to chance it. I've heard people say it's nice though.
    I've seen prawn and smoked salmon nigiri there so no tuna in those. Haven't seen any tuna rolls but they might have them.

yeah they never look that great. maybe i'll just stick to making my own sushi and hitting up the wa cafe every now and then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

oh god, +1 for getting the gobus to Dublin for yamamori...tonkatsu, droool

[/offtopic]

lampsie wrote: »
    oh god, +1 for getting the gobus to Dublin for yamamori...tonkatsu, droool

[/offtopic]

Ok ok guys! I have done it more than once! Happy now? :p

Perhaps a future boards outing? ;)

I'd need to start saving though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Going to Dublin in 6 weeks and can't wait to go there(Yamamori), I am counting down the days:D:D

I've had 2 evening meals in Kappa Ya(just the place to ourselves) The food was fab but not much in the way of sashimi. Well worth a visit, but a bit pricey, I still have memories of rack of lamb marinated in Miso, delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In Dublin for a couple days next week, already plotting how many times I can get away with yamamori..... Nyom

I think we need a Yamamori in Galway at this stage. For anyone going up to Dublin, beg them to come to Galway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

That stuff from the fishmonger at Tesco is awful. I tried it once and said never again. I must admit I love Kappa-ya and eat there once a week. They don't serve raw fish sushi but the Japanese veggie sushi roll keeps me going.

Put my name down for the Boards.ie sushi-bus.

'cptr

I've never had Yamamori...:( Everytime I'm in Dublin I mean to go, but a Wagamama Ramen wins out in the dinner choices.

Advertisement