Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entitled to unemployment benefits?

• 15-10-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

A couple I know here in Galway asked me this question and I did not know the answer. Does anyone here?

They are both EU nationals and married to eachother. The gentleman moved here 6 months ago and works here legally (pays tax, has a PPS #, etc). His wife just left her job in their native country and has moved here to join him. Until she finds work, is she entitled to any unemployment benefits? They have one young child, around 5 yrs of age.

Any Web site links with info about this would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This isn't a Galway issue - as we have a dedicated Benefits forum I will move this there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

yawlag33 wrote: »
    A couple I know here in Galway asked me this question and I did not know the answer. Does anyone here?

They are both EU nationals and married to eachother. The gentleman moved here 6 months ago and works here legally (pays tax, has a PPS #, etc). His wife just left her job in their native country and has moved here to join him. Until she finds work, is she entitled to any unemployment benefits? They have one young child, around 5 yrs of age.

Any Web site links with info about this would be great. Thanks!

No.
    She will fail the HRC (Habitual Residence Condition) test.
    She will only be eligible for state welfare benefits after:
    1. She has permanently resided within the state for 2 years.
    2. Or she has paid 39 tax stamps to the Revenue.
    If their child was born in the state; then she will satisfy the HRC condition of centre of interest.
    If her husband is Irish born, she will satisfy the HRC condition of centre of interest.
    If not, she will fail the HRC test.
    Habitual Residence Condition and Access to Social Protection
    On 1st May 2004 the Irish government introduced the Habitual Residence Condition (HRC) as an additional test for qualifying for Social Assistance payments, Child Benefit and Supplementary Welfare Allowance. The HRC is concerned with determining a person’s degree of permanence in Ireland and whether Ireland is their centre of interest. Deciding officers will assess a person’s habitual residency by reference to the following factors:

Length and continuity of residence in Ireland
    Length and purpose of absence from Ireland
    Nature and pattern of employment
    Applicant’s main centre of interest
    Future intention of applicant as it appears from all the circumstances of their case
    People from EU/EEA countries who are in genuine and effective employment or have a work history in the State will be considered to satisfy the HRC. The following factors are used to determine whether an applicant’s work was genuine and effective: its duration, the number of hours worked per week, the earnings, whether the work was regular or not and whether the person became voluntarily unemployed.

Click on the link below for more details:
    http://www.mrci.ie/know_rights/social_welfare_system.html

Advertisement