Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another "what's my mongrel" thread!

Options
  • 15-10-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

So here's our Obi - we rescued him from a shelter at 4 months old and he was picked up as a stray at 3 months old so we've no idea of his parentage...

e-Obi.jpg

c-ObiwithRolyandcousinPaidi.jpg

25072010215.jpg

Based on his looks we always assumed he was a collie x GSD

But our dog trainer thinks he's a Kelpie (a type of Australian Sheepdog) which we had never heard of but when we googled it we were bowled over by how like them he looks...
    kelpie pic 1
    kelpie pic 2
    kelpie pic 3
    kelpie pic 4
    kelpie pic 5
    kelpie pic 6

I think it's uncanny!! So now we think she might be right - what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Possible GSD x Husky or GSD X Kelpie.

There arent many Kelpies in ireland so i doubt its a Kelpie cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

really? he's very small though - GSDs and huskys are huge in comparison to him! He's only about 18 inches to his shoulder - less than knee height on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Huskies are medium sized dogs, about the size of a collie.

He does look very like a Kelpie though, I love his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh is he? He looks much taller than that, maybe scrap my suggestions then:D

Huskies arent huge dogs though, wouldnt be as big as a GSD.

ISDW wrote: »
    Huskies are medium sized dogs, about the size of a collie.

He does look very like a Kelpie though, I love his ears.

:D so do I! They're really really soft

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Oh is he? He looks much taller than that, maybe scrap my suggestions then:D

Huskies arent huge dogs though, wouldnt be as big as a GSD.

yeah he's all legs all right - perspective-wise it's worth knowing the other two dogs in the 2nd picture are both stumpy little basset hound pups! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, our wee dog is a Russett; Jack Russell /basset cross. Round and shiny as a good apple she is too.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, our wee dog is a Russett; Jack Russell /basset cross. Round and shiny as a good apple she is too.

:) love the name! have you got any pictures?

I have a basset, and I just can't imagine what a JRT x Basset could look like

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sionnaic wrote: »
    :) love the name! have you got any pictures?

I have a basset, and I just can't imagine what a JRT x Basset could look like

Will try but we have a very poor and erratic internet connection here..

She has the weight, deep chest and splayed legs of a basset, with some of the long face, but the bounce and hyper mode of the Jack; pretty dog but being bounced on is not funny sometimes as she gets as high as your face. Sturdy body unlike the narrowness of the Jack. Solid bone! Sweet nature but very, very sensitive and emotional.

We knew the mother, who was dumped in pup and wondered re the father; thought at first dachshund, but definitely bassett.

She has the weight, deep chest and splayed legs of a basset, with some of the long face, but the bounce and hyper mode of the Jack; pretty dog but being bounced on is not funny sometimes as she gets as high as your face.

:eek: that's a scary prospect with a basset type dog! :D the slobber that must go flying!!
    and they're incredibly solid dogs with massive shoulders, it's like their bones are made of cement. Our fella can get fairly animated when he's excited but bouncing is definitely not in his repertoire! It must be like a sack of potatoes hitting you! :)

Sturdy body unlike the narrowness of the Jack. Solid bone! Sweet nature but very, very sensitive and emotional.

yes I know what you mean about their sensitivity! If he's upset about something he get's really clingy poor dote.
    They have such character, our fella has such a distinct personality. So bold and cheeky but able to melt your heart at will. And he definitely knows his own mind, and if he doesn't want to do something (like get up off the couch and go to bed!) god help you trying to make him. Passive resistance all the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

sionnaic wrote: »

Based on his looks we always assumed he was a collie x GSD

But our dog trainer thinks he's a Kelpie (a type of Australian Sheepdog) which we had never heard of but when we googled it we were bowled over by how like them he looks...
    I think it's uncanny!! So now we think she might be right - what do you think?

I'd be v.surprised if she was a Kelpie, not very common in Ireland and even less likely to end up in a shelter as a young stray, not impossible of course but v.unlikely imo.
    I have a friend in Wexford with a GSD x Collie and he look almost identical, he's an excellent agility dog too, maybe something you could consider with your girl, she certainly seems to have the 'breeding' for it, speed of a Collie and brains of a GSD, she'd be a force to be reckoned with around an agiltiy course I'd say.

Advertisement