Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive Bouncers

Options
  • 08-10-2010 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Hi I was in GPO in Galway earlier and the door man took it on himslef to abuse me. I am not usualy one to cause trouble but he was completely taking the p.iss. Drinks were 3 euro. I told this lad if he gives me 5 euro, I will give him 2 euro and I will get his drink. The door man saw him giving me 5 euro and takes it upon himself to acuse me of robbing 5 euro off that lad. I told him I didn't but he stilll abuses me. The who gave me the 5 euro came up and told him the arrangement but he still abuses me. I try to fight back but he says if I do that again he will call the police. May I please get opinions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

BTW I do understand that 9 times out of 10, it is the patrons fault but if the person who I supposedly stole money off backs me up, what do I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

bouncers have to put up with a lot of crap. Its like a spam filter, sometimes they get it wrong.

Give the guy a break, he was trying to do his job, which I'm sure isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's the GPO, most every other nightclub in Galway is better so go elsewhere
    You won't miss much

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Galway - not really a PI.

dudara

kjl wrote: »
    bouncers have to put up with a lot of crap. Its like a spam filter, sometimes they get it wrong.

Although I do appreciate your opinion, I hate this attitude that 'they have to put up with a lot of crap' so they can act like d.icks all they want.
    We had a mutual arrangement and the bouncer felt obliged to get involved and completely abuse me. I am still feeling the locks he put me in last night. He said he was going to call the gardai, I told him to go ahead as I knew I had done nothing wrong. He eventualy let me go with "a warning". I did nothing wrong and GPO just lost themselves a customer. It is a popular club so they probably don't mind but just take caution when paying for your drink at the bar:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

poisonated wrote: »
    Hi I was in GPO in Galway earlier and the door man took it on himslef to abuse me. I am not usualy one to cause trouble but he was completely taking the p.iss. Drinks were 3 euro. I told this lad if he gives me 5 euro, I will give him 2 euro and I will get his drink. The door man saw him giving me 5 euro and takes it upon himself to acuse me of robbing 5 euro off that lad. I told him I didn't but he stilll abuses me. The who gave me the 5 euro came up and told him the arrangement but he still abuses me. I try to fight back but he says if I do that again he will call the police. May I please get opinions?
    Thanks
    What opinions are you looking for? That the bouncer was in the wrong, he was.
    What was the nature of the abuse - verbal or physical? Was the abuse that he didn't believe you?

ha nah man the abuse wasn't that he didn't belive me. The abuse was him gettin me in a lock and throwing me around:o

Anyway I suppose I'm not looking for any advice as such. Just needed to vent. You know how it is. Anyway feel free to close.

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying - I would have been pretty angry too if the bouncer jumped me for that.
    They probably have CCTV, go back and speak to the manager. It's usually better than just venting on an internet forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

poisonated wrote: »
    The abuse was him gettin me in a lock and throwing me around:o

If that's what really happened, then contact the owners of the club and report it.

Also report him to the Gardai for assault; they can get the CCTV from the club; the CCTV should prove your story. The guy who you had your "arrangement" with can also make a statement backing you up.

If you're not willing to do either of these things then there's no point in whinging on here about it.

ha I hear ya. I would be willing to do that but I don't know the guy. He just asked me to buy his drink cause I was in the que ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

kjl wrote: »

Yes bouncers put up with a lot, but that is expected when you take these jobs. The bouncer had no right getting involved unless a complaint was made or something serious was going on and even then he should try to handle it in a calm manner. If he physically abused you defiantly go back to the management but i would suggest that the other person that give you the fiver be with you to back up your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Call the GPO now and ask to be put through to a manager. Tell the manager that you were physically assaulted by a bouncer with no just cause and that you would like the video as evidence. Give them the approximate time and where you were positioned. If they say no then tell them that your solicitor will be in touch.

It would be wise to let the guards know before you do this.

Bouncers, in my opinion are bullies. I have yet to have a good experience with one in Galway. Sure they have a lot to put up with, but there is no reason to put someone in a headlock. Do these guys when they are at home talking to their kids put them into a headlock because a discussion they don't like isn't going their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've had good experiences with the GPO bouncers. Many the time I snook in under-age. When they ID'd I said I had nothing on me and they knew I was under-age. Told me to come back when I'm older. They could have thrown me out but they didn't.

If he attacked you then report it. Make a complaint about the bouncer (you must know what he looks like) and ask for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If he was physical with you and your sure you were 100% in the right then go after him. I got collared by a bouncer before for doing some god awful dancing that he saw as me falling over....he put me in a full nelson and led me out...I don't like clubs and it gave me an excuse to leave without getting flak for wanting to leave early :P

Didn't really mind it because he wasn't being forceful and for his own safety he's probably better off restraining people rather than give them a chance.

Be careful if your going after him...were you being thick about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sniipe wrote: »
    Bouncers, in my opinion are bullies. I have yet to have a good experience with one in Galway.

In my experience the people who have NEVER had a good experience with a bouncer are generally the agressive idiots who start fights or who are messy drunks. Or else they're the "I know the law and my rights" people!!

If a person has the same problem with everyone in a profession, then the problem more often than not lays with the person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why would you tell the manager that you want evidence from them which you will almost definitely use to make a case against them with? The manager has not been ordered to give the tapes to the guards at that point and could simply tape over them 'by accident'. Report it to the guards FIRST and let them get the evidence. Speak to a solicitor for advice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why would you tell the manager that you want evidence from them which you will almost definitely use to make a case against them with? The manager has not been ordered to give the tapes to the guards at that point and could simply tape over them 'by accident'. Report it to the guards FIRST and let them get the evidence. Speak to a solicitor for advice too.

I got accused of stealing from a place after a night out once. It was only about 3 euros worth of stuff so they said come back tomorrow and the manager can review the tape. I went back a couple of times and never got to see the manager, contacted a solicitor just to ask about being falsely accused of stealing. I was told if you were drunk it's not worth it..

I didn't care about the money. I just didn't like being accused.

Yeah that's just it. You get some lad for no reason acusing you of stealing. It's just annoying. I don't care about being kicked out of the club but I don't like being acused. Especially when they act in a violent manner towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So just to qualify - the bouncer saw you taking 5 euro from some assumedly drunken gob****e stranger in exchange for 2 euro, and felt that you were trying to con said gob****e and felt obliged to intervene? Then when you were questioned, naturally the drunken gob****e went and backed up your story because you had utterly convinved him that you were doing him a favour for no reason other than out of the kindness of your heart?
    Then you felt so offended that someone would doubt your altruistic nature that you decided to argue with the bouncer and then start a thread complaining about him on the internet, and are contemplating contacting the guards?
    The end result, presumably, is that in future bouncers won't be on the lookout for people trying to con drunken gob****es out of money, so it could, hypothetically, be easier for you to make a quick buck?

Not that I'm saying that I doubt for a moment your philanthropic nature, nor why you're outraged at such a grave injustice - but one can identify surely with the sentiments of the bouncer who has to deal with all manner of scum every evening. He probably thought he was doing the drunken gob****e a favour too by not having you steal his money.

No good deed goes unpunished, eh?

So you're saying that I would take advantage off some drunk lad for the craic.
    Jumping the gun much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not really - and I couldn't care less if you did - if someone lets themselves get drunk enough for someone to con them out of a couple of quid, then they don't deserve any sympathy.
    I'm just saying that that's how the bouncer could have seen it. You'll forgive people for being cynical and doubting that you'd randomly decide to help a stranger out.
    Perhaps you should get down off your high horse.

Ha Likewise. It's hard to see you up there.

I disagree completely. No matter how drunk someone is, they don't deserve to have money stolen off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

If you want to go to places that have bouncers on the door then unjustified hassle is expected. It can be something as simple as not liking the way you look or carry yourself. Nobody can convince me otherwise at this stage in my life. If you try to reason with one of the bad ones it's like debating evolution theory on an internet forum with a person who holds a completely contrary opinion , futile. There are decent bouncers out there but they're few and far between as far as I can see.

If I'm going out for a few the last thing I want is some thug interrogating me on the door of a pub\club. I'd sooner stay at home by myself or with a few friends and some tunes than have a bad vibe put on my night from the get go. How about 'Hows a goin lads' and opening the door. A good bouncer should have the intuition to recognise the difference between potential trouble and people who just want to have a bit of peaceful craic. Problem is a lot of the current crowd seem to show contempt and suspicion for the people who are actually providing the custom to pay their wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Was in GPO one night and two lads started on a friend of mine. Bouncer came over, friend knew he was going out so put up no resistance. The bouncer took him to the ground for some reason, then while my friend was on the ground he took his chance and hit him a punch right to the face. Now on the back of that most would presume after a scuffle more went on, It didn't. Genuinely he got a punch for nothing. Honestly what could be done though?
    Most of the time bouncers are doing there job, relatively thankless. but with people like this out there then you can see why they generally pick up a bad name. Bouncers on serious powertrips is something I only had to ignore when I came to Galway aswell, seems more frequent in certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Fey! wrote: »
    In my experience the people who have NEVER had a good experience with a bouncer are generally the agressive idiots who start fights or who are messy drunks. Or else they're the "I know the law and my rights" people!!

If a person has the same problem with everyone in a profession, then the problem more often than not lays with the person!

Quiet the opposite. I never ever drink to excess, my body is a temple. I look quiet young and wouldn't be tall at 5foot 7. So Fey! you are way out. I'm not one of the I know the law/rights people either. But I do have a lot of empathy and I would like people to treat others with respect at all times.

Your first mistake was in going to the GPO. It's long had a reputation for unsavory characters frequenting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Your first mistake was in going to the GPO. It's long had a reputation for unsavory characters frequenting there.

Your first mistake was in going to the GPO. It's long had a reputation for unsavory characters frequenting working there.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

It is a popular club

yeah with the scumbags of galway, the place is a kip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement