Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Fi.G.H.T.S. - monthly(ish) informal tournaments

Options
  • 15-10-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Some of you may remember when I was on IRC sometime last week talking about organising tourneys for older or more obscure games:

http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9592
    Project Fi.G.H.T.S. (Fighting Game Hype Tournament Series) is a hopefully-monthly series of casual tournaments for games that aren't being widely played in the NI FG scene at the minute. As you can see, I'm starting with Street Fighter Alpha 3 (specifically, the PS2 SFA Anthology version), if only for the reason that I want to see it played competitively here, even if only for one day. Other games you can expect to see include:

- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core and SF3 3rd Strike (the original DSRB games - they're pencilled in for November and December respectively)
    - CvS2 (another favourite of mine)
    - Breakers Revenge (at the suggestion of Dreddybajs on the #irishfightinggames IRC channel)

The idea came about at the end of season 3 of the ranking battles, when QMM suggested that a third game, different each month, be played alongside the two main games for the next ranbat season. With mr_kyle retiring from running the ranbats, though, each game's scene was left to arrange things, independent of the others.

This is where Project Fi.G.H.T.S. comes in. I liked QMM's idea enough that I wanted to take it upon myself to ensure that it gets carried out in some form, and to hopefully turn a few people on to some of these older games. With that being said:

18990901.jpg

This being an informal affair, there'll be no entry fee or prize pot (although I might give a Kit-Kat or something to the winner), character selection rules will be relaxed, and matches (except for the final) will be decided by a single game (although that has more to do with the fact that I'll only be able to run this on one setup).

Get hype, I guess?

EDIT: A quick summary of the rules:

Tournament format is groups into double elimination.
    All matches except for the grand final will be decided by a single game.
    The grand final will be best two out of three.
    Button binding is OK.
    Character selection is completely free.
    Version used will be the PS2 SFAA version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Consider me down! Absolutely loved A3, love GG and as far as 3s goes, well, consider me a sure definite!

Hype will be brought ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Hahaha, great stuff. Didn't think I'd get much interest from outside the DS regulars, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This will be very similar to our very own Day of Champions then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sounds good. As chopper said it's pretty much the same thing I tried to do with Day of Champions (Damn work is stopping me from doing another)

If I'm free I'll come up and I will say Mahval.

Yeah, I'll try and use this to give MvC2 some sort of sendoff just before 3 comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

sounds awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks god, not sure I can attend the first one.

But if nothing else, I'll show up for 3rd Strike.

With either Ken or Q ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Good stuff Robert =) I will probably be about for this actually as its a DS24. Time to dust of the PS2 stick.

Informal tournament != day of champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

mr_kyle wrote: »

Informal tournament != day of champions.

The main premise of both events is to get people playing games that they might not normally play and games that aren't covered in any other tournaments in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Orim wrote: »
    The main premise of both events is to get people playing games that they might not normally play and games that aren't covered in any other tournaments in the country.

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'll rep the rich b*tch as best I can. :p

Though the last time I didn't totally suck at A3 it was on a Dreamcast pad... so yeah, Imma get hosed.

Edit: Just out of interest will you be running it "arcade perfect" or with the PS/DC extra characters (since AA can do both).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Needs ST and VF5.

The plan right now is to use the 28-character arcade-perfect version but if people want I'll go with A3 Upper for the console characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

blag wrote: »
    Needs 3S and 3S.
    You made a typo, I fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I'll only come if it's alpha 3 max.

Results:

1. Yreval (Sakura)
    2. Akodet (Juni/Ryu/Cammy)
    3. mr_kyle (Zangief)
    4. Jarvy (Cammy/Guile/Akuma)
    =5. VDeck (Ryu/Sagat/Honda/Balrog)
    =5. Scavenger XIII (Karin)
    =7. Rory (Akuma)
    =7. DC (Akuma)

The first tourney was a bit of a mess, but with the next one already set for Clash X Counter on the 20th of November and in a game that the NIFG scene is much more familiar with, things should go a little more smoothly next time.

Advertisement