Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it okay to say "hah?" or "hmm?" in formal conversation?

• 15-10-2010 4:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

You know the way Irish people say "hmm", "huh?" or "hah?", (maybe the "hah?" or a mixture between huh/hah is more of a Cork way of speaking).

But would you use this in a formal or semi-formal capacity if you didn't understand what the other person was saying and wanted them to clarify?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

You know the way Irish people say "hmm", "huh?" or "hah?", (maybe the "hah?" or a mixture between huh/hah is more of a Cork way of speaking).

But would you use this in a formal or semi-formal capacity if you didn't understand what the other person was saying and wanted them to clarify?

Nah, it's rude as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Pardon me? Excuse me? and I'm sorry could you repeat yourself?

Lern2language register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd try not to no. Pardon or excuse me would be a bit more appropriate in the likes of an interview or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

"ye wha!" or "exsqueeze me" are my usuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Cork 'Hah' is strikingly rude due in no small part to its volume of delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

saying 'hm,' will make you look like the thinking man's stool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I definitely wouldn't say "huh?" in a formal conversation. In fact, I probably wouldn't use it in any conversation at all. It's pretty rude imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Short answer, yes with an if. Long answer, no with a but.

listermint wrote: »
    The Cork 'Hah' is strikingly rude due in no small part to its volume of delivery.
    Makes me jump every time i hear it. Especially when its right into my face. Rough cork people really annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Just follow this one simple rule: don't lick your genetalia.

• Advertisement

Just follow this one simple rule: don't lick your genetalia.
    Oh how i'd love to.

DAMN YOU, MY UNFLEXIBLE BACK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

I say "WAT?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Is it okay to say "hah" or "hmm?" in formal conversation?

Here's the rudest woman in the world, 13 seconds in.

Definitely not suitable for the easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

saying 'hm,' will make you look like your thinking about a man's stool.

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

listermint wrote: »

One uses that tone & volume when dealing with servants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

when i was interviewing people, if i heard them say "hah?" or "hmm?" that would have put me off hiring them :)

Advertisement