Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Routers

• 15-10-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

I have a BT Voyager 2100 router. I'm with UTV on their NGB service. Seeing as the Voyager is a 802.11g router, if I bought a 802.11n router would it make any notable difference to internet speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Unikely. If you are getting a good reliable connection back to the existing wireless router then the bottleneck will still be your broadband connection.

Different story though if you had a UPC 30Mb service or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

O'Prez wrote: »
    Seeing as the Voyager is a 802.11g router, if I bought a 802.11n router would it make any notable difference to internet speeds?

No, none at all. Wireless network speed and Internet connection speeds are two different things. An N router will only operate at the higher speed if all computers use N adapters. A G adapter on your computer will drop everything down. Even then, I'm not sure a N network is even a whole lot better than G anyway.

You don't need it, don't waste your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Sound. Thanx for the info lads ;)

Advertisement