Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Laptop is so annoying!! Help!!

Options
  • 15-10-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Problems with my laptop.

Slow startup. Whole comp freezes when I try to do anything after startup. Takes ages for it to get going and actually perform tasks sequentially.

Mozilla Firefox always Freezing. This is obviously the Computers fault again.

Some details about my laptop:

C drive: 5.7gb Left of total 111gb.
    D drive: 65gb left of 107gb total.
    It's 2 years old.
    4.00gb RAM.
    Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.00GHz.
    32 bit OS.

Overheats very easily after an hour of internet browsing/itunes listening...etc.

What I would like:

Quick startup.
    Minimize number of times my OS freezes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hardware fault? Faulty drive maybe...? Any complete crashes - or is just freezing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

JDxtra wrote: »
    Hardware fault? Faulty drive maybe...? Any complete crashes - or is just freezing?

Freezing. No complete crashes. Rarely does it crash completely.
    Its more that when it freezes it frustrates me and I'm forced to reset it manually beacause it's not responding.

I often get. Windows Explorer not responding.

Piece of sh**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Several things:
    1. Free up some space on the C drive as most apps keep temp files there
    2. Remove loads of crap that launches when windows starts. Run "msconfig" from Start/Run... in the startup remove all the junk, i.e. all those messaging programs like msn messenger etc.
    3. After performing 1. defragment the harddrive
    4. If youre using Windows Vista or 7 then disable the Superfetch service. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, right click on Superfetch and set Startup type to manual and "Stop" the service. Many people like Superfetch but i cant stand it as it loads your most commonly used apps into free memory on startup however it means it throttles the harddrive as its trying to start up all the stuff when the desktop appears and at the same time load all the commonly used programs.

Also use task manager and see if any of the processes have a high cpu load.

Windows Explorer has a low timeout, poor performance can cause it to crash easily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If Explorer suicides it can look like the machine is frozen when its not. When this happens, if you can, go into Task Manager, in the second tab kill any non-System processes that are using up abnormally huge amounts of CPU or RAM, then go back to the first tab and right-click > New > type explorer to get the desktop back up and see how the system holds up.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Several things:
    1. Free up some space on the C drive as most apps keep temp files there
    2. Remove loads of crap that launches when windows starts. Run "msconfig" from Start/Run... in the startup remove all the junk, i.e. all those messaging programs like msn messenger etc.
    3. After performing 1. defragment the harddrive
    4. If youre using Windows Vista or 7 then disable the Superfetch service. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, right click on Superfetch and set Startup type to manual and "Stop" the service. Many people like Superfetch but i cant stand it as it loads your most commonly used apps into free memory on startup however it means it throttles the harddrive as its trying to start up all the stuff when the desktop appears and at the same time load all the commonly used programs.

Also use task manager and see if any of the processes have a high cpu load.

Windows Explorer has a low timeout, poor performance can cause it to crash easily.

Great thanks a mill for those guidelines!

For Defragging I'm guessing there's some easy to use software that's free to do that?
    Also I kinda know what defragging is, its arranging things so that they are easier to find/access while the system is operating? But I won't loose anything when I do this will I? How long will it take ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

A hardrive needs about 15% free. Best thing to do is copy all your music, pictures and files to your D drive and re-intall your OS.

However if it is/was a cheap laptop a better solution would be to buy a new one. I generally find that if a dog has 7 years to one human year then a laptop has 35 making the true age of your laptop 70 years old. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

kmick wrote: »

However if it is/was a cheap laptop a better solution would be to buy a new one. I generally find that if a dog has 7 years to one human year then a laptop has 35 making the true age of your laptop 70 years old. True story.

Dont buy a new laptop you have a good spec laptop there sounds like there is just to much stuff runing or you have mailware or i vires they can relly slow down a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭kirving

Re-install your OS on the C drive, after saving your files to the D drive.

Then, install a free anti-virus program like AVG.

I tried Defragging and it says.

Your file system performance is good

You do not need to defragment at this time.

Hmm? lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also try using a program like CCleaner if you haven't already, its pretty comprehensive about binning trash like temp files, old installer info, cookies etc. ;)

What percentage file fragmentation did it say in the report?

• Advertisement
Advertisement