Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New London Route set to be part of Aer Arann rescue

• 15-10-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

A second route between Waterford Airport and London could potentially be launched next March as part of the Aer Arann rescue package.

One of the proposed investors in the troubled airline is the owner of London Southend Airport, which is just a 45 minutes by rail from London city centre. It is set to enter a five-year agreement with Aer Arann to use London Southend

British transport company the Stobart Group is planning to invest €2.5m in Aer Arann as part of a consortium which is understood to include Pádraig Ó Céidigh, who owns the airline.

The group told London Stock Exchange this week: “Stobart Group has agreed terms for a five year operating agreement with Aer Arann to use London Southend Airport, for flights starting in March 2011, with volumes expected to grow to 300,000 passengers annually.

At the moment, Stobart is Re-developing the railway station next to the airport, which will provide high-frequency links to Stratford (for the Docklands area and Canary Wharf) and a 45 minute journey time to London’s Liverpool Street Station.

Looking at Waterford and London Southend as regional airports, in terms of access, passengers and freight, the synergies are obvious.

.. So New Route a Possibility Waterford to Southend Airport On the East Coast of Essex.

Links)
    Southend)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is that Stobart Group the same company as the famous Eddie Stobart haulage trucks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Kahless wrote: »
    Is that Stobart Group the same company as the famous Eddie Stobart haulage trucks?

Sure is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ooh we can go on the amusements. We went to Southend on day trips when I lived in London.

It would certainly be quicker to access the east end or the city than coming from Luton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

deisemum wrote: »
    Ooh we can go on the amusements. We went to Southend on day trips when I lived in London.

It would certainly be quicker to access the east end or the city than coming from Luton.
    Maybe it can be the Tramore of the next decade so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I wish they would do a route to Heathrow airport. I can imagine that would draw in a lot more people. Myself included.
    The way it stands now is that its cheaper and quicker to go to Dublin and fly to Heathrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Heathrow is more expensive to fly to (so higher ticket prices for a small airline like this) and has limited slots. I'm sure they would be flying there if it was viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I hope to God they keep the Waterford-Luton route open a i use it myself a lot due to having family in Luton. Southend would be a disaster for me!

Advertisement