Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevens Supercross Cup - Round 2

• 15-10-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

This is on at 12 tomorrow. Sign-on will be open from about 10:30... 62 signed on already so that means only 13 more places left if anyone wants to ride. Directions can be found on http://mtbireland.com/cyclocross

Anyone out on their bikes for a spin tomorrow why not time it so you pass by at 12 and watch some of the racing. Should be a good one... I'm getting nervous already...!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Looking forward to it, even though I have no clue what I am letting myself in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Well first lap the lungs will be burning... next couple of laps you will feel like throwing up and you will be dying for a drink. You will also wonder why the hell you're doing it and want to pack. But something inside you will drive you on and you will end up sprinting for the last two laps to beat the people you're racing. Afterwards you will look back and think it was amazing... and you'll spend hours boring your family and friends about every second of the race..... have fun.... if you feel like writing a bit of a report afterwards please do and I'll post it on the site...

lol...looking forward to your report...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

As a veteran of one race, I feel adequately positioned to comment here: you're gonna love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Round 2 was brilliant. I got the best of both worlds, great close racing for 5 or 6 laps, just when I started making small mistakes on the corners I luckily got a puncture and then happily got to watch the good lads take the corners properly.
    Looked like a brilliant race up front, Adrian Landley won by a few bike lengths from Robin Seymour after putting in a huge dig on lap 7 (I think) and getting a 7/8 second gap which Robin was clawing back all the way to the finish.
    Even in the few laps I managed you could see how the cornering was getting slightly cut up and riders with better cornering were ekeing out small gaps every time they went through a turny section.
    Great lap length, have to wait for the results but looking at the two lads who were just in front of me when I punctured It looks like I would have been very close to getting lapped, or not - depending on how the last 4 laps went:)
    Thanks to all involved, especially Mrs. seymour and the other ladies who put on a super spread of vast proportions after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

That was just fantastic! the course was brilliant, the racing was brilliant and the coffee and sambo's were brilliant. Looking forward to seeing where i finished, i think robin lapped me on my 5th or 6th lap so hopefully that will change in future races, as the fitness increases!
    All i can say is thank god for the tuesday night sessions all that we have been practicing over the past few weeks was so helpfull over the course. At times i found i would get some tricky sections really well and then get caught out on the easier parts and then hammering it to try and make up for those lost few seconds, which was really hard when you find yourself alone with no one in view ahead of you. and then really trying hard to catch up with anyone, There was just no where you could ease up, at all.

Roll on the next one

Results including laptimes are now online http://mtbireland.com/cyclocross

Will have current league standings done tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoyed it ... tough course...very fast and hard to make up huge amounts of time on people. Some hard corners too if you took them too fast. Will put some wedges at the paths next time for people who can't bunny hop..!!!

I'm the same as you Peter... good to get a race in and also get to watch it... not my day though on the bike...no zip in the legs.... then a canti came off the fork...then the zipp rim exploded on me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

28th, I'm well pleased with that result:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Fantastic race today, hats off to the organizers. Was pushing for the whole race to catch the group infront and fend off a few lads from behind. Lots of falls today from people on the slippery course but made for fantastic close racing.

Bring on round 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭mayan

20 seconds ollie, next time......

20 seconds..!!! that's four laps or a good hard crash... you've got to love cross..!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Roll on Summer cross........

Would have been there but have a different goal at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Tub puncture.

Gay.

To the UK to buy more.

Puncture for me too. Note to self : only bunny hop kerbs if you can pull it off EVERY time. Was enjoying it too

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Merida

Two punctures on my first lap, talk about being sick, will make sure I have spare ones next week, course was really cool, hats off to everyone involved, only benefits of the punctures were that I got to Robin race, man can he travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

The amount of people with spare wheels this year has certainly increased and was cool to see a couple of people using a two bike setup. When (If) the mud comes that will certainly have a major advantage over just using one bike for the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ollietrex wrote: »
    The amount of people with spare wheels this year has certainly increased and was cool to see a couple of people using a two bike setup.

Velonews: What to bring to a cyclocross race

BikeSnobNYC: Spending Power: Who's #1?

Just as a note, ill be sending tubs over to UK during the week to get repaired. Anyone who wants to jump in on it is more than welcome.

PM me if you need something repaired. No credit given as its cheque with the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

mtbireland wrote: »
    20 seconds..!!! that's four laps or a good hard crash... you've got to love cross..!!

35 seconds: That's the cost of a good hard crash! :rolleyes: Happened on 6th lap. Knee was like a feckin balloon by Saturday evening. Woke up very stiff on Sunday. Glad there is no race next weekend because I really need to let body settle down this week. I still feel like I've had the sh1t kicked out me.

Funny how the moment after it happens, I'm there thinking "sure I'll finish this lap and pack". Then realised I'd have no grid position again for next race. Alarm bell in the brain goes off. Pain MUST be ignored. Rode like stink once I loosened out 2 laps later! Well worth it. GLAD I did not pack. Was having a nice tussle with G.Gormley for 8th... until his tub rolled off on the hilly section (seriously bad luck). Then DaveO had mechanical or puncture or something with a lap to go I think so it became 7th. First ever grid position next time... :cool: Every bike length affects positioning in that first lap. Breaking into top 5 in a race is my season goal.

Biggest regret is that I didn't discover cyclocross 7 or 8 years ago. Wish I could make the Tuesday or Thursday sessions but it's just not feasible living over in Blanch. Still, it's far the most family-friendly form of cycling in terms of training hours and even coming to watch (as opposed to 3 laps of a 20 mile circuit... :rolleyes:). Saturday was a class day out what with the coffee and cakes and banter afterwards. Nice dogs there watching too.... no really.... there were some really nice dogs... :D

• Advertisement

Collumbo wrote: »
    Wish I could make the Tuesday or Thursday sessions but it's just not feasible living over in Blanch.

I hear ya about the training sessions. Not driving, and living in the north east of Dub, it takes a feckin age to get over and back.

Is there any interest for a training session somewhere closer to my gaff in St Annes or somewhere like that?

I tend to train in the Park on Thursdays and Sat sometimes. More than welcome to join in.

Or just HTFU with the rest of us NS boys who ride over and back

billy.fish wrote: »
    I tend to train in the Park on Thursdays and Sat sometimes. More than welcome to join in.

Didn't see you there last Tuesday ;)

I was in A&E at the time

I was in A&E at the time

HTFU

Would do but my AIDS was acting up*

*dont stab self with needles after taking blood

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Or ye could all switch to my schedule! Join me at 7.30am-8.40am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Phoenix Park? ;)

Would do but my AIDS was acting up*

Well I guess that's a fair enough reason.

No testing for me until i get the all clear. Silly mistake = long break from testing = thesis going nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Been there :o

Total face palm when it happens. Simple mistake, but a pain in the ass.

Collumbo wrote: »
    35 seconds: That's the cost of a good hard crash! :rolleyes: Happened on 6th lap. Knee was like a feckin balloon by Saturday evening. Woke up very stiff on Sunday. Glad there is no race next weekend because I really need to let body settle down this week. I still feel like I've had the sh1t kicked out me.

Funny how the moment after it happens, I'm there thinking "sure I'll finish this lap and pack". Then realised I'd have no grid position again for next race. Alarm bell in the brain goes off. Pain MUST be ignored. Rode like stink once I loosened out 2 laps later! Well worth it. GLAD I did not pack. Was having a nice tussle with G.Gormley for 8th... until his tub rolled off on the hilly section (seriously bad luck). Then DaveO had mechanical or puncture or something with a lap to go I think so it became 7th. First ever grid position next time... :cool: Every bike length affects positioning in that first lap. Breaking into top 5 in a race is my season goal.

Biggest regret is that I didn't discover cyclocross 7 or 8 years ago. Wish I could make the Tuesday or Thursday sessions but it's just not feasible living over in Blanch. Still, it's far the most family-friendly form of cycling in terms of training hours and even coming to watch (as opposed to 3 laps of a 20 mile circuit... :rolleyes:). Saturday was a class day out what with the coffee and cakes and banter afterwards. Nice dogs there watching too.... no really.... there were some really nice dogs... :D

Great post...makes all the training sessions and race running worth while... don't tell everyone how good it is.... only so many people you can fit on a 6 minute lap.....!!!!!! nice dodgs .... the two spingers were Adrian Lansleys.... the mixed golden lab was Robin's...... I left my three at home.... two boxers and a bulldog.... a bit too much to handle......!

Tuesday's are great... teach you how to corner and do the bike skills... Thursdays.... another story... think they scare people off... bring a gum shield because being in big and bottom for 30 minutes biting the bars is tough...!!!!!!

Advertisement