Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a graphics card failure ?

• 15-10-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

It initially said the driver was at fault but all day the screen has black lines and squares on it I have updated and reinstalled drivers and Windows 7.

The card is an ATI Radeon 3870 x2. W7 64bit OS with 8gb of RAM has run perfectly since Jan. The PC is only 22 months old.

IMG_0056.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

IMG_0057.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think there is some EU regulation that compels a 2 year warranty on all PCs. At 22 months this could be a good time to check it out.

[edit] back up any personal data/pics/vids first !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Your gaurantee is 2 years under eu law,go back to shop,they,ll fix it or replace it with a similar cpu,ram,drive size , pc, copy,photograph your original receipt.
    or try reboot,hod f8, safe mode,vga mode.

Anyone got a link to this law so it can help me when I deal with Dell support ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/eu-directive-sale-of-goods/ or see you local citizens advice centre.

• Advertisement

Well the latest news is I was checking my devices and went into the graphics card and disabled it then enabled it and so far (touch wood) it's still working perfectly. Windows downloaded a driver and I'm going to stick with it for the time being.

and Its failed again.:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That looks very much like a faulty video card, If you can get it sorted under warranty, if its displayed like that during windows setup, chances are highly likely its video card has overheated and is broken

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Anyone got a link to this law so it can help me when I deal with Dell support ?

you're graphics card has failed and needs to be replaced. it is not the driver. good luck dealing with dell technical support. been there many times with them. if you're computer with dell is still under warranty then the dell technician will go through all the testing of the card with you as it is the way they do it even if you tell them the card has failed they will still go through it all. after that the technician will create an order for a new card and will send a technician out to you next businness day.

strange to see it is a ATI Radeon as most of these failures are usually with nvidia.

if for some reason they will not fix it or replace the card and you're computer is still under warranty then write a letter explaining you're problem with a stamped address envelope too and write down that they have ten working days to reply to you.

(dell) ireland innovation house,

cherrywood science and technology park,

dublin 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

and Its failed again.:mad:

Hey Bazza,

If your card is working for some time and then failing again, it could be due to overheating possibly because the fan on the card has failed or has dirt in it.

Open your PC casing and have a nosey at the card when its switched on to see if the fan is spinning and stopping or just not spinning at all. Try blowing it out with compressed air. You might even find that you dont get the problem at all with the casing open because the card is being cooled.

But yeah tis a graphics card issue either way. So if you still have warranty and it doesn't work after cleaning the fan. Get the sucker replaced. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement