Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House trained terrier has started weeing at night

Options
  • 15-10-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi. Our 3 yo terrier has started weeing inside at night. She sleeps inside and has done so for the last ages with vvv few accidents. For the last 5 nights she did a widdle and then last night she also did a number 2. What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you noticed anything else about her, is she down a bit or behaving strange?
    Is the urine strong smelling or coloured?
    Is she peeing more during the day? or drinking more?
    It could be a medical issue, may be worth ruling that out, maybe an infection or something.
    Otherwise once you've ruled that out, its back to basics, bring her out regularly and praise for going outside, restrict acess at night so she has a small area to sleep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 erem

Like the previous poster said, maybe she has an infection or something so if she seems out of sorts, might be worth a trip to the vet for a check up.

My dog did this about a year or so ago. He's fully house trained but started peeing inside overnight. We mentioned it to the vet who told us it was most likely behavioural. We used to always put him into our utility room at night to sleep and for years he was happy enough doing so, but then the peeing started. We got so fed up of it that we started letting him sleep in the sitting room instead and the peeing stopped. So now we think something about the utility room spooked him, we can't figure out what though.

Just a thought about why your dog might be doing it-there are a lot of bangers and fireworks going off at the moment. I know our fella goes mental when he hears them, even when they're going off in the distance. Could your dog be hearing them and she's getting so scared she's peeing in fright? I've heard them going off at all hours when we're in bed, I can hear himself barking his head off downstairs for a couple of minutes, then he settles and nods back off to sleep.

This is my favourite time of year apart from the damn bangers, I hate seeing our dog so worked up all the time. It's a horrible time of year for pets. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

erem wrote: »
    Like the previous poster said, maybe she has an infection or something so if she seems out of sorts, might be worth a trip to the vet for a check up.

My dog did this about a year or so ago. He's fully house trained but started peeing inside overnight. We mentioned it to the vet who told us it was most likely behavioural. We used to always put him into our utility room at night to sleep and for years he was happy enough doing so, but then the peeing started. We got so fed up of it that we started letting him sleep in the sitting room instead and the peeing stopped. So now we think something about the utility room spooked him, we can't figure out what though.

Just a thought about why your dog might be doing it-there are a lot of bangers and fireworks going off at the moment. I know our fella goes mental when he hears them, even when they're going off in the distance. Could your dog be hearing them and she's getting so scared she's peeing in fright? I've heard them going off at all hours when we're in bed, I can hear himself barking his head off downstairs for a couple of minutes, then he settles and nods back off to sleep.

This is my favourite time of year apart from the damn bangers, I hate seeing our dog so worked up all the time. It's a horrible time of year for pets. :(

+1 on the fireworks! im fairly lucky and the fireworks dont bother my two dogs

but my old dogs always had a few ascendents in the house around halloween october/november time of year at night it would always stop when the fireworks stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully when the bangers stop she will get back to normal. She's in good form otherwise.

Advertisement