Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

programming language popularity in industry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

At the mo we're using a combo of C#, VB6 (in the process of rewriting that code in C#), JavaScript etc.
    The company is quite MS oriented so...

We're using SQL Server 2008 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

I am a big fan of .Net, everything is already done for you smile.gif

But I would be very skeptical of any surveys regarding this matter, from tiobe to boards.ie.
    You will only get a subset of reality, and weightings are impossible.

For example Tiobe rates popularity among learners and breaking technologies. Just look at its rating for cobol which a large number of banks are still built on.
    boards.ie takes a subset of.....you guessed it.....boards.ie users which I would imagine has its demographics.

(btw, I would say jobs pages are another barometer you can use)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

oooomy wrote: »
    try the firefox selenium remote control - record whatever you need and select export as c# when done.

yeah, using that at the moment - Selenium IDE / Nunit framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I would say Java... but only about 1 day a month where Java is the only language I use!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

But I would be very skeptical of any surveys regarding this matter, from tiobe to boards.ie.
    You will only get a subset of reality, and weightings are impossible.
    boards.ie takes a subset of.....you guessed it.....boards.ie users which I would imagine has its demographics.

(btw, I would say jobs pages are another barometer you can use)

Fair point..

Although with that said, there is a lot of repetition in the jobs site, so its not easy to determine which adverts are 'real' jobs and which ones are just out to get CV for a profile. (Got stung by recruitment agents a while back - so slightly bitter)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's other things to take into account too. Assuming that this is all in relation to which is best for jobs, different languages/platforms can be used in different types of roles. My impression is that Java is more typically used for enterprise scale server solutions, .Net for user facing client solutions, C for high performance (games, scientific etc) or embedded, PHP for Internet web apps etc etc.

Of course these are gross generalisations with tons of exceptions (I've done lots of .Net enterprise work for e.g.), but there's a lot of truth to them as well.

Advertisement