Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long road back...

Options
  • 15-10-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Well, finally decided to start one of these. chronicle my path back to fitness :P ....So I guess some sort of background. Well I just turned 17, been rowing for the past two years, and got to a decent enough level (pulling 6.56 2k as a lightweight) but I ended up getting incredibly sick over summer, taking me out of all physical activity essentially. (two bouts of acute glandular fever was the main of it)

Now, I'm back and ready to build it up again (: I'm only going to compete in sculls this year, if anything, I'll see how I progress over the next few months. I'm doing the Beginner Pete Plan for a couple months, then move into something more like my old routine.

Anyway, I've two sessions, might as well post them here:
    13 October 2010 - 5000m - 21.05.6 - 2.06.6 Average pace - Rate 20, drifting up to 22 near end.

Jesus, that was sobering. I would have been able to do that under 19 minutes last year, gotta hate that feeling when you've lost lots of fitness :p

Decided to try for a 2.08 pace average, but everything just seemed to go a bit faster... Happy given the circumstances (stopped due to illness in May), but lets hope it keeps going down :D

14 October 2010 - 6x500m, 2 mins rest:
    Average pace overall: 1.56.6

Well, I guess that last one says it all... somewhat underestimated my pace, but I guess its better than overestimating! Was thinking of going for a 1.58/1.59 upon sitting down, but I just felt strong during 4+5, then decided to properly slam down for the last :p

Well, I'll probably go for a short run tomorrow, and do the 5k as instructed by pete, might go for sub-21, I was pretty close, maybe not a good idea though... We'll see after 2k I suppose :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Just got in off the 5k
    16 October 2010 - 5000m - 20.46.7 - 2.04.7 - Rate 22

Wow, going for a 6 second improvement, got a 20 :D Some may have come off my rate being a bit higher (id say 0.5 spm over the piece) but extremely happy :)

Felt absolutely dead coming off the erg, those feelings of pain come back pretty soon :p

Well, Pete says 20 minutes tomorrow, at a pace slower than my 5k...
    Thinking maybe 2.07/2.08, maybe lower the rate a bit, 20/21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

18 October 2010 - 20 minutes - 4860m - 2.04.5 - Rate 20/21

Faster than I wanted it, but good nonetheless, I felt pretty alright. Rate drifted a bit at the end, pity couldn't do sunday, stuff happened, came up etc.

Got a 5500m at my 5k week1 pace to do, I'm doing it wednesday

Advertisement