Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 in Meath, jailed for littering.

• 15-10-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-defends-its-role-in-litteroffence-jailings-2380465.html

A LOCAL authority has washed its hands of the imprisonment of three men who left rubbish at a recycling bank, saying the decision was "a matter for the courts".
    All three men were jailed for non-payment of litter fines after leaving items at a bottle bank outside a supermarket in Ashbourne, Co Meath.
    In a statement yesterday, Meath County Council said they implemented the provisions of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and "persons who are caught littering are issued with a fine or fines as appropriate".
    "If this fine is not paid it is followed by a warning letter. If the fine is still not paid, the matter is referred to the council's legal advisers in order to pursue same through the courts."
    It said that if the court decided the fine should stand -- or decided to increase the fine -- then the money is pursued by the courts service.
    The three men contacted RTE's 'Liveline' yesterday to speak of their experiences.
    One man, named Stephen, said he had spent much of Wednesday incarcerated in Wheatfield Prison for non-payment of the fine after leaving a box outside a recycling bank at Supervalu in Ashbourne, Co Meath.
    He was freed after his mother made an emotional appeal on his behalf on 'Liveline' and his father made a donation of €200 towards his fine.
    Prosecuted
    Two other men were also put in prison for non-payments of fines at the same location and all were prosecuted in the space of a few months, on foot of CCTV footage taken from the scene.
    Another of the men, named Chris, said he was jailed for his failure to pay a litter fine after his 12-year-old son left a crumpled plastic bag at the bottle bank after disposing of the contents.
    "In my experience it was a totally nonsensical thing to do," he said of the decision to imprison him.

So, what you think of that?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They were fined and didn't pay. What did they expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

curlzy wrote: »

So, what you think of that?

Guess it was time to take out the trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Christ taxpayers money might be better spent locking up real criminals ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

3 down - 162,828 more to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Christ taxpayers money might be better spent locking up real criminals ffs!

Yeah, but they are scrotes, they shouldn't litter, they deserve it TBH. They will be released fairly quickly anyway most likely, on TR, but still, they do deserve it for being dirty bastards.

Was the three lads compacted into one cell or had they bin given a rubbish sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Joe Duffy has been having a field day over this. It's been on the show for the last couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yeah, but they are scrotes, they shouldn't litter, they deserve it TBH. They will be released fairly quickly anyway most likely, on TR, but still, they do deserve it for being dirty bastards.

I think that's a bit harsh tbh, these guys actually went to recyling bins. It's the fcukers that dump their old cookers and fridges in hedgerows that laugh at the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

It probably cost the government more to prosecute and jail these lads than to pay somebody to follow them an pick up their rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im delighted - they threw rubbish wherever they felt like it and ignored the fines and subsequent warnings - How arrogant can you get - they should get jailed until someone pays the fines and for the clean-up.

I'll bet they wont do it again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I wheelie refuse to have any symbinny for them.

(I hab' a head col'.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

????

I'm assuming he is pointing out that there is a fcuk load of littering pr1cks out there. It's true. Whenever I see someone littering all I want to do is punch them.

You break the law, you get fined. You don't pay the fine, you get imprisoned. It's pretty clear cut to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Wouldn't community service have been a better sentence and at least it would have saved us some money? That's what a lot of people in prison should be doing too instead of costing us a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

????

Population of Meath at last census ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

bin there.done that.:pac:

seriously though-

(i know its off topic but i feel its relative for comparisons sake-

http://e-edition.metroireland.ie/2010/02/10/11.html

http://issuu.com/onlinemedia/docs/nw_17_2_2010

2 romanian girls defraud the state outta thousands-whilst working under false PPS numbers, neither gets jailed.
    3 people actually go to the bother of bringing rubbish to a collection point-albeit @ illegally and are jailed....
    something not right with that.)

so anyways-they were arrogant enough not to pay the fines.

fook em tbh. will this result in a 'criminal record' so to speak:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They weren't jailed for littering, they were jailed for not paying the fine.
    Shíte journalism at its finest

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They weren't jailed for littering, they were jailed for not paying the fine.
    Shíte journalism at its finest

Indeed and let be clear about this.

They decided to dump their rubbish by a methods that breaks our public laws and possibly pollutes.
    ...And if thats not bad enough, they each then decide to give two proverbial fingers to the court by non-payment of their fines.

Now if that don't deserve a hard penalty (I don't know what does), those that might cry "its an over reaction by the judge" can never claim again ironically that "the courts are too lenient!"

I've no sympathy for the three men. None whatsoever.
    I'm paying hundreds per year for the safe disposal of my rubbish and these schits think they are special and deserve to get away with dumping?

They can get stuffed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

how very Horatio Caine of you! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm delighted. It's high time that this country woke up and starting enforcing the laws and the bylaws. Littering has to be stamped out. It is regrettable that people have to go to prison, but the authorities need to start hammering those that break the rules. This country could actually do with four years of zero tolerance. Lawlessness is too common around the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fizman wrote: »
    Whenever I see someone littering all I want to do is punch them.

Ahhhhh, reacting to a small crime by commiting a bigger crime!

And i thought AH had died!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure some tax money is spent to prosecute these people but hopefully more is saved by other people being scared away from throwing their trash by the wayside/at recycling stations/whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One man, named Stephen,

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cost to the taxpayer to jail them vs cost to the tax payer to give them community service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

biko wrote: »
    Sure some tax money is spent to prosecute these people but hopefully more is saved by other people being scared away from throwing their trash by the wayside/at recycling stations/whatnot.

hasnt ireland got slightly bigger criminals to be worrying about at this point in time?

banker x, screws the taxpayer out of millions, debt written off, nothing done

blokes leave litter outside a recycling station, jailed

whats wrong with the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭The After Hours Troll

Typical, the pigs get their hefty salaries for chasing after lowly litter thrown by a 12 year old then imprisoning his father.

Where are they when rapists, murderers and thugs are going around ruining the place? Sat in their office, fat cnuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Recycle and do the right thing, leave a bag at the facility due to inadeguate litter bins and get Jailed.

Kill somebody and get 10 years

Commit Economic Treason, bankrupting a country, get bailed out, a golden handshake and the ability to transfer your assets to your wife before declaring bankruptcy with €1 in the bank. Time in Jail? You gotta to be kidding me.

Good to see our country has got its justice priorities right.

• Advertisement

A man raped 3 13 year olds and got 7 years last week.

Clearly, litter is a far worse offence though. As is the horror of shopliftiung and tax avoidance, crimes commited by the low brow Timmys.

Although if your a banker/poltician tax avoidance is a perk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I know if I got fined right now if say, my 12 year old nephew dropped a packet of crisps without me knowing, I certainly would be financially unable to pay the fine and then I would also end up in prison.

Honestly the same people who post on this forum call for bankers to go to jail would agree with some sods who get a criminal record for not paying a litter fine.

How many alt accounts does Herr Gormely have here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wouldn't community service have been a better sentence and at least it would have saved us some money? That's what a lot of people in prison should be doing too instead of costing us a fortune.

They could have been ordered to spend a couple of weeks keeping the area around the bottle bank they littered clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Locking people up for recycling improperly? This country is sick. As bad as North Korea. Essentially they are being locked up for being poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, reacting to a small crime by commiting a bigger crime!

And i thought AH had died!
    Wanting to punch someone isn't a crime.
    If it was I'd be serving a long long sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They were not jailed for littering.

They were jailed for contempt of Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McDougal wrote: »
    Locking people up for recycling improperly? This country is sick. As bad as North Korea. Essentially they are being locked up for being poor.
    They were jailed for not paying the fine.
    Littering is not a jailable? offence afaik.

McDougal wrote: »
    Essentially they are being locked up for being poor.

Sentenced by the honorable judge Whitey!

Hello!!!!

Would folk actually read the news item?
    They were jailed for not paying the minuscule* fine.

NOT FOR DUMPING!!!

(Thread title needs to be changed!)

* "minuscule" in ratio to the whole costs, court time/solicitors/etc and time wasted - by something stupid they brought about themselves too originally!

What if people cant afford to pay a fine. Miniscule is relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Typical, the pigs get their hefty salaries for chasing after lowly litter thrown by a 12 year old then imprisoning his father.

They didnt jail his father for littering; He was jailed for not paying the fine and only when in court he wanted to pay the original fine in instalments.
    Too late mate.

Theres a bring bank close to me and 3 signs warning of the cctv and the fact that over 100 people were fined for littering but they still do it;
    Every weekend theres a pile of boxes left lying around.

Every monday the hd is taken and fines sent out, even a cops wife was done.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Hello!!!!

Would folk actually read the news item?
    They were jailed for not paying the minuscule fine.

NOT FOR DUMPING!!!

(Thread title needs to be changed!)

What if they can't afford these ridiculous fines?

Be sent to prison, because of a small bag thrown by a child.

Would it happen to the real criminals:

- no because they have loads of money

- and they wouldnt even have to pay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SO they were jailed for littering then yeah?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think that's a bit harsh tbh, these guys actually went to recyling bins.

Good, about time we started to jail the bottle bankers :P

They didnt jail his father for littering; He was jailed for not paying the fine and only when in court he wanted to pay the original fine in instalments.
    Too late mate.

Theres a bring bank close to me and 3 signs warning of the cctv and the fact that over 100 people were fined for littering but they still do it;
    Every weekend theres a pile of boxes left lying around.

Every monday the hd is taken and fines sent out, even a cops wife was done.

Obviously he couldnt afford the fine. We're not all as rich as you and your gardai friends are we?

Always the working class that suffer, never the rich.

Grimes wrote: »
    What if people cant afford to pay a fine. Miniscule is relative.

Miniscule to some, could be big to others.

A few hundred pounds is alot to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

No , JUST TAKE YOUR BAGS LITTER HOME, NO FINE, NO COURT, NO JAIL, HAPPY DAYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Should make them work in an actual dump sorting through the landfill rubbish to get any plastic bottles etc that were not recycled, preferably with no shoes or gloves on. Couple of weeks at that would learn them

...Then they show by actual accurate finance figures to the court that blood cannot be got from a stone!
    Its not rocket science.

There is unfairness in the handing out of court penalties across the land.
    True but when those that make a stand and say "Enough" - not just for one transgression but in this case TWO, a lesson has to be taught and not with a slap on the hand.

Your either for the law at the end of the day or you want two sides to it depending on whom is up before a judge.
    ...And if your want two sides to the law - then expect other bigger fish to continue to escape the penalties they should get - for your basing your view of penalties based solely on character than actual crimes committed and defined in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Teutorix wrote: »
    It probably cost the government more to prosecute and jail these lads than to pay somebody to follow them an pick up their rubbish.
    Exactly.

Whatever about the lads leaving a few bags at a bottle bank it makes a f**king mockery of the judiciary to even think about pursuing this. What a waste of taxpayers cash, thats OUR cash.

A few wasters in meath co co, the admin behind the fines, court appearances, state solicitor etc.

Look at the cases that were in court this week and the pi$$ poor sentances that were handed down but yet we can chase a few clowns for littering to the ends of the earth FFS.

This country gets worse by the minute :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You break the law, you get fined. You don't pay the fine, you get imprisoned. It's pretty clear cut to me.

Unless you work at Senior Level in Anglo or one of the other banks.......

Sums up Ireland perfectly that these 3 got fined and jailed and Seanie Fitz, Fingers Fitz and co. can laugh and throw 2 fingers at the courts and Gardai and Director of Corporate Enforcement.

Now who is the bigger sinner here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement