Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's ''all s***e'' says MEP defending €400,000 "study break" to a holiday island

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yet another one taking the piss.

Just like those that cost us 11 million the last two years for their cars.
    See: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1015/1224281155552.html
    THE PROVISION of Garda drivers and State cars to Cabinet Ministers, former taoisigh, the President, Chief Whip, Ceann Comhairle and others has cost almost €11 million in the past two years, it has emerged.

This represents expenditure of €105,000 per week, or €15,000 per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I'm so beyond being shocked by anything that pack of greedy ****ers do. Honestly I doubt I'd even blink if the paper reported they were sacrificing babies to Satan in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

curlzy wrote: »
    I'm so beyond being shocked by anything that pack of greedy ****ers do. Honestly I doubt I'd even blink if the paper reported they were sacrificing babies to Satan in the Dail.

Hence they'll keep doing this as long as they know there'll be no reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Did they ever hear of video conferencing? Or perhaps sending a small representative group, considering the economic times we're living in - pr1cks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I wish all politicians would **** off and die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

He's spot on there, it is all sh!te, the crap we're still having to put up with on a daily basis from these shysters. I wonder was he in Athlone and plenty other places last year when they flooded? Was he f**k, no where to be seen. Arrogant tw@t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I know who's first against the wall when the revolution comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The EU bureaucracy is an even bigger waste of money than the Irish bureaucracy and with even less oversight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Party time on an island resort! I can think of a better island to send them to for their next working vacation. Anyone remember the old film Papillon (1973)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Hence they'll keep doing this as long as they know there'll be no reaction.

You hit the nail on the head, thats exactly it. If their getting away with it why stop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

is there no way for someone to take a civil case against them for misappropriation of taxpayer's money or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Not enough people are feeling the pinch enough yet. Has to be more unemployed and more cuts before people will stop waffling away in pubs and on the internet about our woes!

We lap up SH1T like it were a three course dinner :mad::mad::mad:

i dont understand it at all

the public could shut ireland down in a few hours and demand action/a new government/criminal proceedings for mishandled funds

yet they wont, and thats why theyll keep getting ridden up the back end

Helix wrote: »

the public could shut ireland down in a few hours and demand action/a new government/criminal proceedings for mishandled funds

Yes they could for Ireland, but I thought this was about misuse of EU funds (which I know indirectly involves Ireland).

Honestly, I think member states should demand more accountability, because from what I've seen in Brussels and Luxembourg, it is a total money pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

From the article:
    All I know is that it's a very good hotel, the accommodation is wonderful, the food is lovely. For people who work so hard, we're entitled to that. You don't expect us to stay in B&Bs, do you?"
    Sweet baby Jesus, has this guy no shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

From the article:

Sweet baby Jesus, has this guy no shame?

Clearly not:mad:

should be a 3 star maximum for politicians, if they want 5 star they should pay the difference

no problems with money being spent on meeting rooms/nice grub if theyve got foreign officials over, but for in house stuff it should be capped. its not like 3 star means dive in fairness

complete transpanrecy is needed for politicians globally, failure to do so or misappropriation of funds should carry serious jail time

of course politicians arent gonna implement something like that, so we'll never see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

All I know is that it's a very good hotel, the accommodation is wonderful, the food is lovely. For people who work so hard, we're entitled to that. You don't expect us to stay in B&Bs, do you?"

Even Fine Gael are trying to FAS it up on taxpayers money.

Yes they could for Ireland, but I thought this was about misuse of EU funds (which I know indirectly involves Ireland)...
    ...Which means your and I money being paid to them in contributions from our taxes, etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Which means your and I money being paid to them in contributions from our taxes, etc. :(

Another way of looking at is this: every euro spent on hotels, limos, junkets, etc, is a euro snatched out of the public funds for Harney's hairdos, Callely's travels, etc.

• Advertisement

Another way of looking at is this: every euro spent on hotels, limos, junkets, etc, is a euro snatched out of the public funds for Harney's hairdos, Callely's travels, etc.
    LOL - true but its still coming out of our pockets in the long run. :o

Technically I'm a US taxpayer, which means my money goes towards funding Iraq, Afghanistan, and pension programs that I will never see a penny of. :mad:

But at least it isn't going to Brussels. ;)

Technically I'm a US taxpayer, which means my money goes towards funding Iraq, Afghanistan, and pension programs that I will never see a penny of. :mad:

But at least it isn't going to Brussels. ;)
    We know where some of our tax money is going sadly!

The Highest State Pension So far!!!
    (€265,000 A year)
    See HERE

Tanaiste's brother earns €15,000 in TD/Senator phone sales
    (who are then reimbursed by the taxpayer)
    See HERE

State Cars costing €11 Million for past two years!
    See
    HERE

The 3 Day €400,000 TD's Island Trip
    See HERE

Bertie Aherns car alone costs €84,000 a year!
    See HERE

Fine Gael TD's €10,600 Claim!
    See HERE

TD's €2.3 Million Summer Holiday Expenses!
    See HERE

Former Senator Escapes Probe of €146,000 Expenses!
    See HERE

HSE Heads Give €3 Million To Drum For Advisers!
    See HERE

Blood Boss Blew €130k Expenses
    See HERE

Sacked Ministers Get €25,000 To Ease Blow
    See HERE

Bertie Rings Up €3,300 Phone Bill Claims
    See HERE

Amazing Allowances Of Our Top TD's
    See HERE

Dempseys €13,000 Trip To Derry & London!
    See HERE

Healy-Rea Brothers Get Cared For.
    €110,000 For Year On Council!
    See HERE

Councillor Disputes €106,000 Expenses Paid
    See HERE

Smoked Salmon TD's €1 Million Dinner
    See HERE

Well Paid TD's Spend And Spend At Bar!
    See HERE

Lists Of Various Allowances - Details Lacking!
    See HERE

TD Told To Pay His Huge Dail Bar Bill
    See HERE

16 TD's That Refuse To Hand Back Money!
    See HERE

Aherns Merc Clocks Up €175,000 Travel Bill
    See HERE

Harney Makes Light Of Crises As She
    Enjoys Lavish Banquet
    See HERE

Shame Of Pensions On Double For Teacher TD's
    See HERE

The Top 5 Irish Scandals Of Decade
    See HERE

Pension Cash Bonus For Charlie McCreevy
    See HERE

Government Bill For Their Spin People
    Reaches 20 Million Euro
    See HERE

Dempsey €14,000 on Limo's
    Harneys €5,000 Hotel Bill
    See HERE

Backbenchers €19,000 Washington Trip
    See HERE

TD's €86,000 Trip To Cape Town
    See HERE

The Dept Of Foreign Affairs Massive Wine Cellar!
    See HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Dunno whether I'm jealous or furious

Dunno whether I'm jealous or furious
    Well think of it this way - remember all the above (tip of the iceberg!) when our next budget comes in December.

The effect of that budget on you as they beg (take!) more from you, will answer your quandary.

Helix wrote: »

This is true. However Irish people don't want criminal proceedings into corruption though because let's face it, half of the population are on the take in one way or the other. Be it benefits which artificially are high to ensure votes, or public service wages which are artificially high for the same reason.

Why would these people want to change the status quo? You will only see these people up in arms when it's their greedy pockets that are feeling the pinch. Who pays? The minority in this country that actually pay any sort of meaningful amount of taxes and these people are too busy working their arses off to fund our greedy system.

You won't see people marching to balance the 20 billion euro hole the budget because they know that it means a cut for them and their extortionate government handouts. They will happily pass the cost onto the hardworking of the country and their children.

The people of this country are the reason the country is as it is. To blame the politicians alone, a mere representative of the ****e this country stands for, is to blame the result, not the cause of the problem (i.e. the voters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To be fair, I wouldn't have an issue with the Minister for Justice having a state car and garda driver.
    They will have important documents from the DPP and the Minister or their senior civil servants shouldn't be walking around with these.
    And the Minister probably does need protection at times.

Not so sure about all the other state cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've said it before and I'll say it again, democracy simply doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Harney Makes Light Of Crises As She Enjoys Lavish Banquet
    See HERE
    An Irish businesswoman, who was in attendance at the ball, said it was a fabulous night with Ms Harney looking "elegant in beige".

Presumably this was before midnight, when Ms Harney returned to her natural pumpkin self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

krudler wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, democracy simply doesnt work.

Its still the best of a bad bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Am I the only one who read this article and associated the €400k cost to this part?
    Some 250 MEPs, 80 parliamentary assistants and 70 civil servants working for EPP went on the trip.

And not just the FG MEP?

That of course works out as about a grand each for 3 days which is slightly more sane. From that point, I still don't agree with the 5 star hotel treatment, nor the very expensive meals they were probably being treated to while staying there but some people seem to be making out the above cost was simply for one person which I highly doubt is true.

We know where some of our tax money is going sadly!...

:eek:

That Harney in New Zealand article was particularly appalling. Talk about let them eat cake!

Honestly, when I read stuff like this, I don't understand why people haven't burned down the Dail yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Jim Higgins: "That's all sh*** ... that's all sh*** if you don't mind me saying so. That's typical media bluster, you know. I don't share that at all," he told the Irish Independent.

What does that statement even mean? He must have been reading the Ahern manual for waffling. And that's not the type of language to use when addressing the people he is supposed to be serving.

"All I know is that it's a very good hotel, the accommodation is wonderful, the food is lovely. For people who work so hard, we're entitled to that. You don't expect us to stay in B&Bs, do you?"

These wasters have been treated like princes and kings for too long, and have come to believe that they are special. I find that attitude highly arrogant and insulting and hope it's not forgotten the next time he goes looking for votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 polkadots1900

this guy is a thief, why go to madiera to do the work of brussels, plenty conference rooms in brussells,

he is an arrogant cnt to be so dismissive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Hey-yo-dog-I-heard-you-like-hotels-so-i-put-a-hotel-in-yo-hotel-in-yo-hotel-and-charged-you-400k-for.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gizmo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who read this article and associated the €400k cost to this part?

And not just the FG MEP?

That of course works out as about a grand each for 3 days which is slightly more sane. From that point, I still don't agree with the 5 star hotel treatment, nor the very expensive meals they were probably being treated to while staying there but some people seem to be making out the above cost was simply for one person which I highly doubt is true.

Jaysus, he comes across terribly but it isn't as bad as the headline makes out. Far worse going on at home as Biggins pointed out.

Bad and all as the EU is at least they got McCreevey ro resign a directorship for a conflict of interest. Tom Parlon, ex Minister for Public Works who became the head of the CIF anyone?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Vote Fine Gael. They're totally different than FF. :rolleyes:

Crooks the lot of em.

btw, doesn't Jim have the most slappable face ever? Come on, you know you want to slap him repeatedly

http://www.jimhiggins.ie/ep/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Higgins has been preaching to everyone about ethics for years but it obvious
    it's "do as I say and not as I do". Isn't he on one of these dail public accounts commitees asking all these hard questions of various agencies, maybe when he comes back he should go the other side of the table and answer a few questions, the country is rotten to the core and all parties are the same!!!

Just to add insult to injury, the EU now is asking for more money for themselves.
    See: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/EU-Showdown-Looms-Over-Demand-For-Rise-In-2011-Budget-As-Countries-Continue-To-Face-Hard-Times/Article/201010315759046?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15759046_EU_Showdown_Looms_Over_Demand_For_Rise_In_2011_Budget_As_Countries_Continue_To_Face_Hard_Times

They are giving themselves an 85% rise in entertainment perks - as well as an absolute massive building for one man, the EU president!

Updated post 24.

• Advertisement

Just to add insult to injury, the EU now is asking for more money for themselves.
    See: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/EU-Showdown-Looms-Over-Demand-For-Rise-In-2011-Budget-As-Countries-Continue-To-Face-Hard-Times/Article/201010315759046?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15759046_EU_Showdown_Looms_Over_Demand_For_Rise_In_2011_Budget_As_Countries_Continue_To_Face_Hard_Times

They are giving themselves an 85% rise in entertainment perks - as well as an absolute massive building for one man, the EU president!

Hmmmm...............the only source for the 85% bit is Farange.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hmmmm...............the only source for the 85% bit is Farange.
    You watched the news video clip then?

But here you go - another source: http://www.theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/meps-attacked-after-approving-increase-in-enterntainment-budget/

Just for good measure, you will find same here: http://europeanjournal.typepad.com/

But here you go - another source: http://www.theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/meps-attacked-after-approving-increase-in-enterntainment-budget/

Just for good measure, you will find same here: http://europeanjournal.typepad.com/

I don't see anything in Cash's blog relating to EU President expenses.

The second one is about increased expenses for the newly formed Presidents role of about €900,000 and it covers his staff too.
    Biggins wrote:

Is incorrect, it should say EU presidents office gets 85% extra in entertainment expenses.

Amazing the difference between the 2 versions but then I'm used to UK Eurosceptic hyperbole:

News from the European Commission in the UK

If you read anything from Euro sceptics like them or the UK Euro sceptic press, chances are it's hyperbole.

PS. The Commission are looking for an increase in budget. Shocking stuff! They don't vote on it themselves, unlike our shower AFAIK.

Is incorrect, it should say EU presidents office gets 85% extra in entertainment expenses.

Amazing the difference between the 2 versions but then I'm used to UK Eurosceptic hyperbole:

News from the European Commission in the UK

If you read anything from Euro sceptics like them or the UK Euro sceptic press, chances are it's hyperbole.

Dear god, does everything have to be spoon fed? Know how to actually look for something?

For a start - The 85% increase issue is SEPARATE (got that?) from the issue of the massive building for one man.
    I don't see anything in Cash's blog relating to expenses.
    At a time of severe strain on the majority of Member States’ public finances, where citizens all over Europe have been demonstrating against austerity measures, the European Parliament Budget Committee has voted to rise the 2011 “entertainment budget” from €1,105,200 to €2,047,450 which represents an increase of 85 per cent on 2010 budget.
    All the amendments tabled seeking to reduce such budget were outvoted, including an amendment tabled by the ECR group to keep the budget to €1.5m.
    If the EU, as they say, is about solidarity, such move does not show solidarity at all with the EU taxpayers.
    http://europeanjournal.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/10/meps-want-an-85-per-cent-increase-in-the-amount-they-spend-on-entertainment.html

Took me all of 30 seconds to find it!

PS. The Commission are looking for an increase in budget. Shocking stuff! They don't vote on it themselves, unlike our shower AFAIK.
    Aaa... wot? The MEP's are looking for the increase - what are you going on about commissions for!
    MEPs have come under fire after they approved a huge 85 per cent increase in the amount parliament spends on "entertainment".
    http://www.theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/meps-attacked-after-approving-increase-in-enterntainment-budget/

Want yet another source?
    See: http://www.ukipmeps.org/news_175_%95-European-Parliament-entertainment-budget-gets-85%25-raise.html

Or this...

Or this - right from lawyers site!
    * http://lawyers-law.com/european-parliament-entertainment-budget-gets-85-raise/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The 85% increase is indeed real, however, perhaps not using the UKIP as your source for said information would be a good start Biggins. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    The 85% increase is indeed real, however, perhaps not using the UKIP as your source for said information would be a good start Biggins. :)
    Its one of many (5) sources above now.
    I added more. :)

...And yes, I agree, its the real deal. The figures speak for themselves.
    Crazy stuff - and they are telling us to cut back (but at the same time, give more to them) !!!

Hang on, here's a 6th source: The English Times.

Anger as MEPs double their budget for champagne parties
    On the day that workers from across Europe protested against austerity measures in front of the European parliament building in Brussels, MEPs voted to double the budget used for their champagne receptions.

The parliament’s budget committee raised the entertainment fund from €1.1m to €2.1m (£1.8m) a year on Wednesday, despite the fact that many restaurants serving Eurocrats exclusively are already heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.

MEPs have become notorious for adding perks and lavish allowances for themselves and their staff, including limousines, first-class travel and two pensions. The latest increase will fund events in venues such as the plush Concert Noble hall in central Brussels, where the parliament holds gala receptions.

“These people are thinking about champagne and oysters while 100,000 workers have come to Brussels to complain against the austerity measures they are going through in different countries of the European Union,” said Marta Andreasen, a UK Independence party MEP.

Vince Cable, the business secretary, warned of a “big backlash” if the EU’s budget is not cut.

“At a time when national governments, including mine, are having to make very painful cuts in public spending, no one can understand why the European budget is not being subject to the same discipline,” he said.

Tory and Lib Dem MEPs opposed the rise, while Labour deputies and other members of the socialist bloc reportedly abstained in the vote.

The entertainment budget helped to pay for an event called I Love EU, held in July in front of the parliament building. It featured pop bands and dance instructors teaching crowds a boogie routine in homage to the Manneken Pis, the urinating statue that is the symbol of Brussels.

The parliament will also co-sponsor the gala opening in December of the new EU “embassy” in the former Tory HQ on Smith Square in London.

The eight-storey building near Whitehall, where Margaret Thatcher was famously pictured celebrating election victories in the 1980s, was renamed Europe House after the EU bought it for £20m in 2008. Following a £5.5m refurbishment, staff will move in this week.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article409581.ece

or Screen-grab: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg

Dear god, does everything have to be spoon fed? Know how to actually look for something?

For a start - The 85% increase issue is SEPARATE (got that?) from the issue of the massive building for one man.

http://europeanjournal.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/10/meps-want-an-85-per-cent-increase-in-the-amount-they-spend-on-entertainment.html

Took me all of 30 seconds to find it!

Aaa... wot? The MEP's are looking for the increase - what are you going on about commissions for!

Want yet another source?
    See: http://www.ukipmeps.org/news_175_%95-European-Parliament-entertainment-budget-gets-85%25-raise.html

Or this...

Or this - right from lawyers site!
    * http://lawyers-law.com/european-parliament-entertainment-budget-gets-85-raise/

Biggins, calm down lad. You have a habit of this in my experience.

Never said it wasn't separate, don't know where you got that idea.

I said Cash's blog and the new link you posted does not back your original assertion up. On second looks it does, I thought €2 Million must be for just the President. Seems so low compared to our shower.

The Commission is looking for an increase in its overall, that was the original link you had. The Parliament votes on that.

Biggins, calm down lad. You have a habit of this in my experience... etc...

Fair comment, I dish it out so I must be able to take it. ;)

The fact is (what it boils down to) that while the EU is telling/ordering us to cut back, they at the same time want every country in the EU including us, to fork out a lot more.
    In fact overall a 6% increase. Sadly part of this will be used on the entertainment end for our MEP's. Thats however is only the tip of the iceberg.

Its galling to think these faceless heads are telling us to do one thing (cut-backs) and at the same time, telling us to pay them more! :mad:

Both are extremely Euro sceptic sources. Cash made a political career out of it as a Tory and the Europeanjournal is the mouthpiece of the EFD which is made up of largely UKIP, you know the ones who sent you the leaflet with the big Turkey on it during Lisbon? They also have the Northern League in Italy, quite the colourful bunch of characters and another bunch of right wing nuts spread throughout Europe.

The only thing they seem to share is a common hatred of each other.

Both are extremely Euro sceptic sources. Cash made a political career out of it as a Tory and the Europeanjournal is the mouthpiece of the EFD which is made up of largely UKIP, you know the ones who sent you the leaflet with the big Turkey on it during Lisbon? They also have the Northern League in Italy, quite the colourful bunch of characters and another bunch of right wing nuts spread throughout Europe.

The only thing they seem to share is a common hatred of each other.

Will trust your word on the above. :cool:

(Just as well there are others sources, some of which I added.) :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement