Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried I Haven't Revised Enough So Far - Need 540 Points!

• 15-10-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey!
    So the term is almost over and I began studying quite well.
    So far I only have a few chapters revised in each subject and I'm feeling quite panicky :eek:
    Anybody who is aiming for 530+, how much study have you done already?

But I'm really worried about Geography for a number of reasons:
    1) My teacher isn't great tbh.
    2) She never provides us w/ good notes and our book is useless, definitely does not provide enough information.
    3) I don't even have a hardback w/ notes!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not much admittedly :(

I've been going over 5th year material alongside all of what's going on this year. Hoping to have everything revised well before the Mocks so I can redo it all over again leading up to the exam (And so I can leave time aside for preparing for the Mock and Oral as well as the HPAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    Hey!
    So the term is almost over and I began studying quite well.
    So far I only have a few chapters revised in each subject and I'm feeling quite panicky :eek:
    Anybody who is aiming for 530+, how much study have you done already?

But I'm really worried about Geography for a number of reasons:
    1) My teacher isn't great tbh.
    2) She never provides us w/ good notes and our book is useless, definitely does not provide enough information.
    3) I don't even have a hardback w/ notes!

Any advice?

Get Dan Sheedy's revision book, shortcuts to success or something like that. Learn the whole thing off, take 2 pages 4 nights a week or whatever way you want to do it, just learn it off. I picked up geography in 6th year, just learned his book for all my study and got an A1. Trust me on this one, he covers 99% of everything they can actually ask you.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Hey!
    Wow well done on that result.

When did you do your LC?
    Does the book actually cover enough though or did you have to expand on your answers?

Thanks anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hey!
    Wow well done on that result.

When did you do your LC?
    Does the book actually cover enough though or did you have to expand on your answers?

Thanks anyway :D

Did it in 2009! No the book covers more than enough. In all his sample answers, he has more than enough SRP's to get full marks(significant relevant points). On the average 30 mark question, you need 15 SRP's. 15*2=30 marks. Similarly, you nedd 10 SRP's in a 20 marks question. Always try to give 1 or 2 more in case the examiner disagrees or takes issue with one of them. There are plenty of SRP's in the book on each question.

Diagrams also count as SRP's. Your opening sentence in your answer is also vitally important, make sure you always link it back to the question! If you learn the answers in that book, you will learn that skill too. The book is pretty much all you need tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

I have done absolutely no study so far, aiming for 600 points though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Ian_K wrote: »
    I have done absolutely no study so far, aiming for 600 points though

Sarcasm much? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Right now I'm ensuring I'm doing my homework well - that's my main priority right now, as if I do it right the first time that's half the battle won!

Lucky (or unlucky :P) for me I have tests just after mid term, so those will be good for making sure I revise what we've done so far this year. If you did your work for your summer exams last year, the info will probably come back quick enough when you go back over it (or at least it'll be easier to learn than the first time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

NotExactly wrote: »
    Sarcasm much? :D

Not Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Anybody who got around 530+ how much study did you do around October/November?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KarinaKarona10

Im in leaving cert too need 500 points and have done nothing :(
    I cant learn at all im just so lazy help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Anybody who got around 530+ how much study did you do around October/November?

The everyone should do is subjective. I just did my homework well (mostly) and then crammed a tiny bit for Xmas tests/Mocks. Real study didn't start for me until after Easter and I still got over 530. :D

That said I never had problems with anything and understood everything pretty easily :pac: and don't forget that homework is study. I would have liked to have started study a week or too earlier to cover little things better though :(.

Advertisement