Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v West Bromwich Albion Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭jacool

baz2009 wrote: »
    Giggs coming off was the start of it, imo.
    He was our second best player in the first half, imo, behind Nani. He was always looking for the ball and kept good control of it when he had it.

The overreactions in this thread are quite funny. Yes, we've had a bad start to the season, but United rarely hit the ground running before November. United will be in contention come May, no doubt about it.

My MotM:
    1. Nani
    2. Berba
    3. Giggs(would be higher, but only played 1st half)
    If your third best player only plays 45 minutes that says it all really!
    And as for Berbatov, you are wrong. I think he cost them the game. He had three good chances in the first half, one when he was 8 yards out he didn't even get on target. The only good thing he did was set up the second goal. At 3-0 you would have been out of reach. I'm only upset because this game let down my accumulator and I'm blaming Berbatov. As Ferguson said VDS will never do that again in his career, but you can't say that about Dmitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Berbatov played well. He held up the ball well and remember that run down the left wing? That was sweet. He set up Nani's goal too. Good contribution from him. All he was missing was the goal. He was first on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

nullzero wrote: »
    I don't think he'll be around next season.
    he's been a grade A moron in his private life and an even bigger one for contradicting his club who were doing their best to shield him from criticism.
    Unless he produces the goods I'd expect us to cash in on him for something approaching Ronaldo money, he's been a disgrace this season and I'm really sick to be saying that.
    You won't get near Ronaldo money for him beacause of two reasons.
    1. Ronaldo is a far superior player
    2. You have to actually be playing well to demand a huge transfer fee like that.

The only thing he has going for him at present is he's English so his transfer fee would be inflated. Utd would be best holding on to him and hope he comes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Mister men wrote: »
    Utd would be best holding on to him and hope he comes good.

That's what got him into this mess.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

United won't win the league this season. This team reminds me of the 04/05 team which dropped points against relegation bound teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bad result but on the bright side it could have been a terrible result had Villa not held Chelsea to a draw. United's defence is pretty troubling at the moment but I wouldn't get too carried away just yet. I also won't bash Edwin for his mistake as he's entitled to a few considering the amount of times he's saved United over the years. You don't win the title this early. You can lose it alright, but I still feel United are very much in the hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I also won't bash Edwin for his mistake as he's entitled to a few considering the amount of times he's saved United over the years.

True. People were quick to say 'oh, that's why Jove got rid of him' but MOTD rightly pointed out that you can count the number of big mistakes he's made for Utd on one hand.

Come support Arsenal. Our goalkeepers frequently make more mistakes in a single game than VDS does in a season.

As regards the MOTM, Nani seemed to disappear second half. I'm still not sure about him in that he just doesn't defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was at the game, near the away fans in the south stand. Had a clear view of the freekick inside the box. When Nani squared it to Rooney, Gibson threw his hands in the air, turned and looked at Mike Phelan moaning...this went on for a good 30 seconds, in which he contributed zero to getting the ball back.

Awful stuff. Anderson second half and Gibson were rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

link for entering MotM votes, as always - open to everyone, please be sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gosplan wrote: »
    As regards the MOTM, Nani seemed to disappear second half. I'm still not sure about him in that he just doesn't defend.

Thing about Nani though is he's just one of those luxuries you have to have; he's a match winner when it comes off and useless when it doesn't. Arshavin is similar at Arsenal; you can afford to carry one of those players because they win you games over the course of the season.

• Advertisement

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

link for entering MotM votes, as always - open to everyone, please be sensible.

done, voted 1)Nani 2)Rio 3) Berbatov
    cson wrote: »
    Thing about Nani though is he's just one of those luxuries you have to have; he's a match winner when it comes off and useless when it doesn't. Arshavin is similar at Arsenal; you can afford to carry one of those players because they win you games over the course of the season.

Great comparison, they are very alike in terms of switching it on and off

Trilla wrote: »
    done, voted 1)Nani 2)Rio 3)Berbatov

I thought Rio was the worst of the defenders, tbh. He had a good few very dodgy moments and was bad for the second goal.

I thought Rio was the worst of the defenders, tbh. He had a good few very dodgy moments and was bad for the second goal.

Ye I noticed one or two slip ups, maybe Vidic was more solid but I was just glaf to be a bit of sharpness back in Rios game. He had some good interventions, read the game well and was out in front most of the time from what I saw. Maybe I should have Vidic in there, or Giggs even he was lively til he came off.

The rest I'm afraid did not impress me at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Trilla wrote: »
    Was at the game, near the away fans in the south stand. Had a clear view of the freekick inside the box. When Nani squared it to Rooney, Gibson threw his hands in the air, turned and looked at Mike Phelan moaning...this went on for a good 30 seconds, in which he contributed zero to getting the ball back.

Awful stuff. Anderson second half and Gibson were rubbish.

Who does Gibson think he is ? Does he think he's done anything in football ? He's never gonna be good enough for United, never, unless we turn into a lower Premier League team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He thought he was the right lad to have a shot from that free kick and he was probably right too.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    He thought he was the right lad to have a shot from that free kick and he was probably right too.
    Ye so stand and moan while the opposition goes on the attack?

Fúck me its not u12s schooll league soccer. The whole world was looking at him and he goes and whaa whaa to the teacher. sir sir i wanted to shoot sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I hate Berbatov Nani Carrick Gibson, he just isnt good enough.

:rolleyes: Lads.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I hate Berbatov Nani Carrick Gibson, he just isnt good enough.

:rolleyes: Lads.

Gibson is fairly shíte though, tbf. I hope he does well for United and Ireland, but I don't think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Gibson is fairly shíte though, tbf. I hope he does well for United and Ireland, but I don't think he will.

I dont need to post my opinions on him as I have done numerous times before.

Huge potential. Still very young. Youd think people would learn from Darren Fletcher and give the lad some time but nah, ship him out.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I dont need to post my opinions on him as I have done numerous times before.

Huge potential. Still very young. Youd think people would learn from Darren Fletcher and give the lad some time but nah, ship him out.

I had faith in Fletcher, tbh, could have just been false hope as a young fella, but I'd a lot more hope for Fletcher as I do Gibson. He has a rocket of a shot, but what else does he offer?

At least Fletcher ran around a bit, like a headless chicken some would say, but t least he tried to do something. Gibson seems to rarely break a sweat. I don't have it out for him or anything, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can't see anything in his game other than a good shot that suggest to me that he'll be a United player in 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gibson simply isn't good enough to play for United. Its not as if he's a callow 18 year old with lots to learn about the game, he'll be 23 next week He has a decent shot on him but apart from that he contributes little or nothing - his passing isn't exceptional, his tackling is poor, he doesn't demand the ball like a CM should.

At least with Fletch you could see what he was about from a young age, he just needed to fill out and there was a definite improvement in him over time.

Gibson isn't good enough to get a game for Ireland FFS not to mention United. The fact that he's in and around the team just shows how short on options the club is at CM.

I normally am loath to write off young players but at 23 he hardly counts as "young" and he has shown nothing to indicate he won't be the first out the doow whenever fergie gets around to swooping for Defour or Rodwell.

Advertisement