Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire HD Pricing Meteor

• 15-10-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I have been in a few meteor stores looking for the original desire. I have been told that they will not be getting it back into stock and that its being discontinued and replaced with desire HD.

Pricing on Meteor will be €179 to €229 on lowest tariff.

I'm quite annoyed by this. I would be perfectly happy with the original desire if they got it back in stock as it would cost me €129(as i'm porting) rather than the €229 for the desire HD which looks bulky and really doesnt offer much more.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Don't like the build quality of the Galaxy S and I have my mind set on Android.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

02 and VF both have the Desire listed on their sites at the moment.

If you're determined to sign to Meteor, a Desire is probably going to cost you a fair bit more than 129.00,. second hand or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What price plan is the Desire HD on for €229? and when is it out? I am waiting to order a couple.

What price plan is the Desire HD on for €229? and when is it out? I am waiting to order a couple.

I'm guessing the last week of this month. I really wouldn't be surprised if it turns to be a bit later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Meteor expect to have stock before the end of this month. Most stores seem to be saying this and they also have the prices etc on their system currently.

The desire HD will cost €229 on the bill pay smart - €30/35 per month plan

What do you guys think of the pricing? I think its too high - €100 more than the original desire really.

• Advertisement

What do you reckon it will be on the €85 Max plan? €49?

€179?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What do you guys think of the pricing? I think its too high - €100 more than the original desire really.

I think it's okay. It's not replacing the Desire, rather it's occupying a space above it hence the premium price.

I just think that HTC have been foolish to cut the original desire - there is definiely demand for the phone and it would have been a lot more affordable than the desire hd.

I just think that HTC have been foolish to cut the original desire - there is definiely demand for the phone and it would have been a lot more affordable than the desire hd.

Why do you think they've cut it?

• Advertisement

I spoke with one of the managers in a meteor store today and she told me that it had been cut and that they wouldnt be getting in in again.

ALso it doesnt make sense that HTC havent been able to release more. I know of the issues regarding the screens but that was resolved a while back. It seems like they have been concentrating on their new phone plus the new win 7 phones and have forgotten about the desire.

Perhaps though - they want to give the desire HD the best possible start and fear that the original desire would hamper sales if it was on the market.

Or maybe they are saving stock for the Christmas market - I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

will they even sell it on payg?

i dont want a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The Desire hasn't been 'cut' by HTC. 3 are doing the Desire and will be stocking the Desire HD in early Nov. It's Meteor who have decided not to stock the Desire and replace it with the HD version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a HD, but really want to see one first, the screen doesn't look too good in the pre-release pictures....

Just back from the local Meteor store. They were expecting the HD and the Z today, but it has been moved back to Tuesday. On the max €85 tariff the HD is approx €120. Not confirmed price but about that.

Where is your local meteor store?

Newbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Does anyone know if the htcsense.com features will be supported in Ireland when this comes out? The website doesn't list Ireland as a country to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

How much will it be pay as you go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

How much will it be pay as you go ?

These type of phones won't be available on PayG. The Desire wasn't, the Legend wasn't, the Galaxy S isn't. They're too expensive in this current environment for the general shopper, and they are diverted already limited stock away from a channel, bill pay, that it is more likely to sell on. Get it sim free. It'll be around the same price, and free credit isn't exactly massive money with any network these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

chrislad wrote: »
    These type of phones won't be available on PayG. The Desire wasn't, the Legend wasn't, the Galaxy S isn't. They're too expensive in this current environment for the general shopper, and they are diverted already limited stock away from a channel, bill pay, that it is more likely to sell on. Get it sim free. It'll be around the same price, and free credit isn't exactly massive money with any network these days.

What do you think the chances are of the first batch not being sim locked are?

long_b wrote: »
    What do you think the chances are of the first batch not being sim locked are?

Quite good. None of the Desires were locked, as far as I know. Some of the later Wildfires were, but no way to know for sure until next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I posted in the main Mobiles & PDAs forum before I noticed the Android sub-fourm; might ba able to get an answer here:)

I'm planning on buying the HTC Desire and I'm just wondering; should I buy it now or wait until the Desire HD comes out?

I'm thinking that the Desire will drop in price when it's HD counterpart becomes available; is this likely or just wishful thinking? If likely, when would you think it would drop in price? If not then I guess I'll just have to get it anyway:p

Average-Ro wrote: »
    I posted in the main Mobiles & PDAs forum before I noticed the Android sub-fourm; might ba able to get an answer here:)

I'm planning on buying the HTC Desire and I'm just wondering; should I buy it now or wait until the Desire HD comes out?

I'm thinking that the Desire will drop in price when it's HD counterpart becomes available; is this likely or just wishful thinking? If likely, when would you think it would drop in price? If not then I guess I'll just have to get it anyway:p

You might see a price drop when the HD becomes available, but oversupply isn't exactly an issue with the original Desire, and it's going to be a good few weeks before the HD is widely available anyway.

There'll always be the looming prospect of a price cut or a better model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

When do you think they will have the sample phones in the shops. The only thing holding me back on this phone is the sheer size. I think the Desire is the maximum i would ever go for a phone. It looks bulky enough when im in a pair of jeans. THink it will be worse if i have a screen 4.3 inches big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hogzy wrote: »
    When do you think they will have the sample phones in the shops. The only thing holding me back on this phone is the sheer size. I think the Desire is the maximum i would ever go for a phone. It looks bulky enough when im in a pair of jeans. THink it will be worse if i have a screen 4.3 inches big.

Yeah, you'd want a scree that's at least 6 inches...:p

Does anyone have nay further updates on when the Desire HD will be release on Meteor? I have been told early November. but then again I was also told late october etc Or even any further update on how much with will be on the €35pm smart plan.

I have been waiting to sign up to meteor since July when I wanted to purchase the Desire but they had no stock left and never got more in. I then decided to wait for the Desire HD but I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the delay nor am I liking the reviews of the DHD thus far. Really hope that this phone will be worth the wait. It will be my first android device and I'm moving from a SE C905 which I'm sick of at this stage.

When meteor get the device, is it highly likely that they will have very limited stock?

Why do you think that there is such a delay given that it is already available on Vodafone. DO you think that the delay relates to Meteor putting their own software on the phone?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I hope meteor don't load it with bloatware. 02 have stated that Vodafone have an exclusive on the phone, but meteor have said on their Facebook that the hd will be released on their network in early November, starting at €129

I imagine that the whilst the phone has been delayed, Meteor will use this time to put their software on the phones and lock them to their network. The must surely have received shipments of the phone already as Vodafone have received them.

When it is launched, how long before it will be available from Carphonewarehouse? Is there usually much price difference between buying directly from meteor and buying in the shop.

Also I have seen that meteor have reduced price plans available online only, would you expect these to be available with the Desire HD at launch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Does anyone have nay further updates on when the Desire HD will be release on Meteor? I have been told early November. but then again I was also told late october etc Or even any further update on how much with will be on the €35pm smart plan.

I have been waiting to sign up to meteor since July when I wanted to purchase the Desire but they had no stock left and never got more in. I then decided to wait for the Desire HD but I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the delay nor am I liking the reviews of the DHD thus far. Really hope that this phone will be worth the wait. It will be my first android device and I'm moving from a SE C905 which I'm sick of at this stage.

When meteor get the device, is it highly likely that they will have very limited stock?

Why do you think that there is such a delay given that it is already available on Vodafone. DO you think that the delay relates to Meteor putting their own software on the phone?

Thanks

I'm in the same situation as yourself,although carphone warehouse have told me they're getting a supply of the desires next week.

What's the general consensus?is it gonna be worth the extra wait for the hd?Also gonna be my first android phone

I imagine that the whilst the phone has been delayed, Meteor will use this time to put their software on the phones and lock them to their network. The must surely have received shipments of the phone already as Vodafone have received them.

When it is launched, how long before it will be available from Carphonewarehouse? Is there usually much price difference between buying directly from meteor and buying in the shop.

Also I have seen that meteor have reduced price plans available online only, would you expect these to be available with the Desire HD at launch??

Meteor never put their own software on phones. The only bad case of Meteor was when they have the Apprentice wallpaper unchangeable on the Samsung Tocco Lite during the promo period, but that could be fixed by sending it away for a free software upgrade.

The only branding on any of the Android phones that I have seen is a shortcut in the App listing to the Meteor website.

I'm in the same situation as yourself,although carphone warehouse have told me they're getting a supply of the desires next week.

What's the general consensus?is it gonna be worth the extra wait for the hd?Also gonna be my first android phone

Hi you say that Carphone warehouse expect a supply of the desires next week. Do you mean the original desire or the desire HD and can you confirm that there are for the meteor network.

Thanks

Hi you say that Carphone warehouse expect a supply of the desires next week. Do you mean the original desire or the desire HD and can you confirm that there are for the meteor network.

Thanks

Original desire,and yes I'm on meteor and was told they would hold one for me.I'm unsure whether or not to get it or go for the HD

Thats interesting - any idea on price? I think the price went up. I was able to get it for €129 on the €35 smart plan if I switchd from meteor to vodafone. That was back in July - dont know how much it will be now. Which carphonewarehouse store told you this?

Thats interesting - any idea on price? I think the price went up. I was able to get it for €129 on the €35 smart plan if I switchd from meteor to vodafone. That was back in July - dont know how much it will be now. Which carphonewarehouse store told you this?

180 they said. Carphone Warehouse in Limerick told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

180 they said. Carphone Warehouse in Limerick told me.

Which store was it? According to there website they have 4 stores in Limerick.

Which store was it? According to there website they have 4 stores in Limerick.

Jetland

SO fed up of waiting for this phone on Meteor. With no exact release date nor exact pricing details I'm very tempted look elsewhere.

Meteor are well aware that there are a number of potential customers that wanted the original desire but because it wasnt in stock those customers waited and waited until then considering getting the DHD when it seems that Meteor will not get the original desire back in stock.

I cant help but feel annoyed and frustrated by their approach, delays and lack of information.

Such a joke how they market theselves as the android experts yet currently accoring to their website they have none of the leading android phones in stock, those being the Samsung Galaxy S, original Desire, Desire HD and Desire Z.

Any one else in a similar position? What will you do??

SOme of the MEteor stores in town have the orisinal desire in stock.

I was told today that they expect delivery of the Desire HD on Wednesday/Thursday..... Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Am just gonna hold out for the Z. Was like you, waiting for a desire. Then decided to wait for a HD/Z. Now I think the Z is the one to wait for. I'll give up though, sometime in the next couple of weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Walkman wrote: »
    The Desire hasn't been 'cut' by HTC. 3 are doing the Desire and will be stocking the Desire HD in early Nov. It's Meteor who have decided not to stock the Desire and replace it with the HD version.

I was in the 3 store in Cork last week and I was told that the HD will replace the Desire i.e. the Desire will be withdrawn.

Mumha wrote: »
    I was in the 3 store in Cork last week and I was told that the HD will replace the Desire i.e. the Desire will be withdrawn.

The desire is no longer listed on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Am just gonna hold out for the Z. Was like you, waiting for a desire. Then decided to wait for a HD/Z. Now I think the Z is the one to wait for. I'll give up though, sometime in the next couple of weeks!

I want to wait for the Z as well, especially if I go for an 18 month contract. 3 didn't seem to have a clue as to whether they were going to stock the Z, let alone when !

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭cuculainn

The desire is no longer listed on their website.

Does that mean there will be no updates for the Desire??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Mumha wrote: »
    I want to wait for the Z as well, especially if I go for an 18 month contract. 3 didn't seem to have a clue as to whether they were going to stock the Z, let alone when !

They wont be. I asked in the 3 forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Meteor say some limited stock of the Desire HD will be in stores on Friday (presume they mean this Friday but you never know with Meteor :p )

From their facebook page
    Hi guys. We're waiting on the stock to come in. There are a small number coming to stores on Friday but stock is very limited and stores may sell out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Upstream wrote: »
    Meteor say some limited stock of the Desire HD will be in stores on Friday (presume they mean this Friday but you never know with Meteor :p )

From their facebook page

Any chance of a link for that!? I had a gander at their facebook page there but I can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Any chance of a link for that!? I had a gander at their facebook page there but I can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

Go to their wall and choose "Meteor + others" instead of "Just Meteor" and there you can see where Meteor replied to a couple of people who asked about the HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Thanks Upstream. Appreciate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Not available until next week now. All this rubbish is going to make me just not bother with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement