Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire HD Pricing Meteor

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I wonder how long after christmass it will be before they get them in? Im only askin about o2 because i have a gold upgrade waiting to be used!smile.gif

they couldn't say I went to them when meteor said they wouldn't have it. they just said it'll be January

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

mooman wrote: »
    they couldn't say I went to them when meteor said they wouldn't have it. they just said it'll be January
    Interesting, rolleyes.gif i think i could be tempted to wait it out untill then!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dricco

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Finally got Desire HD on eMobile today. €229.

Bought mine online from emobile last Thursday. Webpage said phone was in stock. Called them today after they had debited my account, phone hasn't been sent out due to being out of stock. Phone is still in stock according to the webpage. Going to call them back to cancel my order, what a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

dricco wrote: »
    Bought mine online from emobile last Thursday. Webpage said phone was in stock. Called them today after they had debited my account, phone hasn't been sent out due to being out of stock. Phone is still in stock according to the webpage. Going to call them back to cancel my order, what a joke...

Leave a message on their twitter page and the guy will get back to you.

Be sure to get the unlimited data add-on as the HD sucks data!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭derdider

Mine apparently got sent out yesterday so should receive it today (or so i was told) so they must have had some in stock. I was waiting a few weeks for mine too though

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dricco

derdider wrote: »
    Mine apparently got sent out yesterday so should receive it today (or so i was told) so they must have had some in stock. I was waiting a few weeks for mine too though

When they called to confirm my details they told me the phone had been sent out and that we last Friday. Call them up, don't trust them.

When they called to confirm my details they told me the phone had been sent out and that we last Friday. Call them up, don't trust them.

They better not do that to me. My patience has been tested enough so far ! :mad:

I'll wait till about 2:00 / 3:00 to give the courier time to arrive and if its not here then.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hi folks

Desire HD is €30 more in-store than I was quoted over the phone but it is impossible to source unless you get lucky by finding one in a brick-and-mortar Meteor outlet. Does anybody have any experience getting the in-store staff to discount the handsets to online/phone prices, or would I be wasting my time in trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

desire HD seems to be instore in my local again. they never get phones so its worth checking the ones near you. this is only the second HD they've ever got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Desire HD is €30 more in-store than I was quoted over the phone but it is impossible to source unless you get lucky by finding one in a brick-and-mortar Meteor outlet. Does anybody have any experience getting the in-store staff to discount the handsets to online/phone prices, or would I be wasting my time in trying?

Well, I think the answer is maybe (or maybe hell yes?)

Last week I decided to switch from O2. After all the investigations I decided Meteor was the best value, especially if purchased on line.
    Problem being they don't do the Desire HD on line - only the desire.
    So, I bought a Desire for €169 on the Connect 30 plan (€25 online vs €30 in store).
    After hearing the various problems with getting a contract from them once you sign up on line, I went into the Square and bought a phone there instead (will not sign contract when it is eventually sent out).

So, in the shop, bought a Desire for €99 vs the €169 online. The only difference is I could not get the €25/month deal as this was an online special. The full price was €30 which I had to pay. 18 month contract.

Now, the nice bit - she said there was a Desire HD out back if I wanted that (I was buying two phones). I took it.
    Price was €179, reduced from €229 because I was switching(?) and €30 a month.

So, not too sure. Can't get the HD on Meteor online.
    EMobile do have it for €169 but to get the Data plan, you have to go for Select 30 which is €39 a month (5 quid off if your with Eircon).

The main problem with Meteor shops is that they are all franchises and have almost nothing to do with Meteor the company. All act independently (which limits what they can do in terms of plans).
    Honestly though - why would they discount the HD when there is a severe shortage of them.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    Well, I think the answer is maybe (or maybe hell yes?)

Last week I decided to switch from O2. After all the investigations I decided Meteor was the best value, especially if purchased on line.
    Problem being they don't do the Desire HD on line - only the desire.
    So, I bought a Desire for €169 on the Connect 30 plan (€25 online vs €30 in store).
    After hearing the various problems with getting a contract from them once you sign up on line, I went into the Square and bought a phone there instead (will not sign contract when it is eventually sent out).

So, in the shop, bought a Desire for €99 vs the €169 online. The only difference is I could not get the €25/month deal as this was an online special. The full price was €30 which I had to pay. 18 month contract.

Now, the nice bit - she said there was a Desire HD out back if I wanted that (I was buying two phones). I took it.
    Price was €179, reduced from €229 because I was switching(?) and €30 a month.

So, not too sure. Can't get the HD on Meteor online.
    EMobile do have it for €169 but to get the Data plan, you have to go for Select 30 which is €39 a month (5 quid off if your with Eircon).

The main problem with Meteor shops is that they are all franchises and have almost nothing to do with Meteor the company. All act independently (which limits what they can do in terms of plans).
    Honestly though - why would they discount the HD when there is a severe shortage of them.

Because you're dealing with a salesperson working on commission who may be able to get you a discount on their most expensive handset rather than see you walk away phoneless, or settle for a cheaper phone.

I was in one store yesterday and the price quoted to me for the Desire HD was €209. When I pointed out the handset was advertised at €199 on the wall, he went into the office for a minute and came back agreeing to the €199 price. I didn't take it because I won't have the cash 'til the weekend, but it got me thinking about what exactly they'll do for you in terms of discounts.

They better not do that to me. My patience has been tested enough so far ! :mad:

I'll wait till about 2:00 / 3:00 to give the courier time to arrive and if its not here then.....

No phone arrived :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I ordered a desire hd on emobile ebay on the 7th of dec got it yesterday :)
    The phone itself was sim free and unbranded :) So if your getting one from ebay the current batch might be sim free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

The desire HD is up on Meteors website now.
    https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire_hd/#/in_all_phones
    from €79.99 to €259.99.

I got fed up waiting for it and went for for the original desire, but I saw one yesterday and it's a lovely looking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gericool

Folks
    My friend has a HTC desire and I am wondering if there is any point in buying him an iPOD touch 32G for Christmas. Need your advice

Got mine today - €50 from emobile (business account). About time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would say an iPod would be a good complement to a HD, but an iTouch has allot of similarities...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Got mine today - €50 from emobile (business account). About time :D

derdider, did you get a dispatch/shipping number mail at any stage and if so when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I would say an iPod would be a good complement to a HD, but an iTouch has allot of similarities...

Would disagree , the desire has a perfectly good mp3 player,the only think that might be missing is storage ,which can be sorted with a micro SD card.

He will find it cumbersome carrying 2 devices around ,especially when the desire is very capable by itself .

• Advertisement

brk3 wrote: »
    derdider, did you get a dispatch/shipping number mail at any stage and if so when?

No I got nothing. I asked via email when I would get it and just got an email saying it would ship that day. Didn't hear any more from them then

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

No I got nothing. I asked via email when I would get it and just got an email saying it would ship that day. Didn't hear any more from them then

I guess that's good news then, have heard nothing from them since they called to confirm identification etc. Here's hoping for tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

MaceFace wrote: »

Meteor stores are not franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlehannah96

I'm currently on meteor pre-pay, but want to change to bill pay. So I cant buy the Desire HD online coz I need to go instore and present all my document: proof of address etc.

Will I be able to go instore, show off the documents but still the phone online? It's just that the phone is cheaper if i buy it off the website!

Also if I buy online does this mean that I won't be able to trade in my old phone for a discount?

Thanks a mill,
    H:D

Upstream wrote: »
    The desire HD is up on Meteors website now.
    https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire_hd/#/in_all_phones
    from €79.99 to €259.99.

I got fed up waiting for it and went for for the original desire, but I saw one yesterday and it's a lovely looking phone.

No luck when I try that link:
    The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Searching for it gives you the same link that brings up the same error page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

It was there last night, so the online store must have run out already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I'm currently on meteor pre-pay, but want to change to bill pay. So I cant buy the Desire HD online coz I need to go instore and present all my document: proof of address etc.

Will I be able to go instore, show off the documents but still the phone online? It's just that the phone is cheaper if i buy it off the website!

Also if I buy online does this mean that I won't be able to trade in my old phone for a discount?

Thanks a mill,

I'd love to know the answer to this also if anyone can help.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Here's the simplest link to it I can find
    https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire_hd/

Looks like Meteor still haven't got their pricing finalised. Now from €99.99 to €1909.99 :eek: I guess they're still working on the page, just avoid Connect 45/50 for now:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Thanks a mill,

As far as I'm aware, if you chose the route of bringing your documents instore, you will not have an option to purchase online. The full transaction will have to be completed there.

Online purchasing also gives you no option to trade in your old phone. This has to be done in a meteor store, so depending on what your old phone is worth, it could well be better for you to buy from a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I bought it online, they'll email you the contract which you can print out, sign and then re-scan it along with you ID and proof of address, then email it back to them. It's a lot quicker than posting it back. They were fairly prompt with mine last week, I got an email the next day saying it was dispatched and it arrived the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭iknorr

Meteor stores are not franchises.

most are.

Have a chat with a manager and ask about competition with the online store....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

So are stock levels in shop a bit better now?

I cant order online as a current PAYG customer, and i have a discount voucher that i think can only be used in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 medelina

just ordered a DHD from the Meteor online store. Hope I like it now :eek: I'm converting from a 2G iphone

quick question: How do you stop the music player??When i go out of it it just keeps playing away

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlehannah96

As far as I'm aware, if you chose the route of bringing your documents instore, you will not have an option to purchase online. The full transaction will have to be completed there.

Online purchasing also gives you no option to trade in your old phone. This has to be done in a meteor store, so depending on what your old phone is worth, it could well be better for you to buy from a store.

Ya I phoned customer service and they said i would have to sign the contract in store! I'm kind of annoyed coz if i buy it online i can get a 12 month contract for only 30€ a month and also the phone is 40€ cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

quick question: How do you stop the music player??When i go out of it it just keeps playing away

Just press pause and it stops playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Ya I phoned customer service and they said i would have to sign the contract in store! I'm kind of annoyed coz if i buy it online i can get a 12 month contract for only 30€ a month and also the phone is 40€ cheaper
    Ring them and see what your old phone is worth. If they'll knock off a fair amount then you are stuck with having to go instore and buy it.

If not, keep/sell your old phone. Port to another network and then buy the HD online.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

Just in relation to availability in case people are still looking for the phone:

Picked up desire hd on upgrade Friday in the meteor store on henry street, €229. They seemed to get a few in stock but most were promised to new customers. Maybe some other store got stock in as well. I just called them to check and the lady reserved one for me there and then.

The Desire HD still seems to be available online on the link another poster previously mentioned on this thread:

https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire_hd#what-you-get-tab

As far as I know if you are an existing meteor customer you have to call up the online store and purchase over the phone. Absolutely love the phone, in particular the size. It still fits in my pocket perfectly so I don't really see the disadvantage in having such a large phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

iknorr wrote: »
    most are.

Have a chat with a manager and ask about competition with the online store....

No, they aren't. There are very, very few Meteor stores that are franchises, maybe about 8 or so, mainly in small towns. Nenagh, Co. Tipp is one that springs to mind. The vast majority of stores are owned by Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Rang up the meteor store in ilac centre around lunchtime and they said they had got a delivery this morning and had 1 available. He put it to the side, and i went in and picked it up.

Nice little christmas present for myself :D

Now its time to play with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got the DHD a few weeks back on vodafone prepay. I tried to register on vodafone last night and pick the DHD so I can get one on bill. Cant seem to find it on the site so Im gonna just get one on meteor billpay. Tis fair cheap considering how excellent it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is the meteor 1gig internet limit, good enough for this phone? Just for basic browsing and mostly messenger and email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is the meteor 1gig internet limit, good enough for this phone? Just for basic browsing and mostly messenger and email.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Good question! There seems to be a bit of a grey area in terms of closing programs. Some apps have a proper reassuring 'Exit' option in the menu whereas some don't. You just leave them and assume they're closed until you open Advanced Task Killer Pro and you see that they're still running in the background!

I'm new to Android though so I could be talking nosense! I'm just used to windows' taskbar showing what programs are open, at the same time though little icons in the top bar in Android would probably just annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Android is kind of designed to make it so you're not worried about what's running. If you leave something running in the background without interacting with it for a while, it'll die on its own. Task killers help out a little by killing off these tasks a little earlier, which in theory save battery.

The music app is a funny one -- it closes if you pause or stop the music before closing it, otherwise it keeps going and keeps a notification so you can get back to it. A few other apps (like spotify) do this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lads if you went with the 35euro per month option from meteor online store, your supposed to only get charged 30pm, but is this including or exlcuding VAT?

I rang meteor but was on hold for ten minutes and the phone was running out of battery, so thought id ask here instead.

I got my first bill and its 28.93 + Vat. I also got charged an extra 4.13 on top of that for international calls that i didnt make ( and i confirmed this by checking the call log on the meteor site).

Will call meteor 2mrw to clarify but was hoping somebody might be able to give me a quick answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭iknorr

chrislad wrote: »
    No, they aren't. There are very, very few Meteor stores that are franchises, maybe about 8 or so, mainly in small towns. Nenagh, Co. Tipp is one that springs to mind. The vast majority of stores are owned by Meteor.

strange, both meteor stores i frequent in cork seem to say different.

Anyhooo
    I have a little problem with the bluetooth and my car radio. The phone seems to act randomly on disconnect. Sometimes it just transfers to the phones speakers. Other times it stops player like it should...

Another problem is that i cant get my bookmarks to sync with HTC sync. Im using chrome. i select it. But the bookmarks in the phone never change.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

pitbull_19 wrote: »
    Was in meteor last week and they quoted me €210 for the actual phone, and since i am switching from pay as you go im gettin 400mins, 400txts, 2gb data for €25 a month on an 18month contract with free meteor calls and texts, said phone would be in stock last friday still waiting for there call, rang them today and they said it would be this friday, clearly they have no clue what is goin on and its odd the way you can now buy the phone sim free on expansy but the networks don't have them

Could someone else confirm this

It's 210 for the phone and 25 a month if you switch from PAYG

Thanks a million

EDIT:
    Just rang meteor in swords, she said
    259 for the phone
    30 a month on 18month contract
    200mins/200texts - 1GB of data.

:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just to let you guys know, most meteor stores are out of Desire HD's, i wanted one on an upgrade so rang meteors direct sales, paid today, will be delivered tomorrow and 10euro cheaper as paid for direct :D

Advertisement