Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N13 Speed Limit

Options
  • 15-10-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the 60km/h speed limit on the N13 at Newtowncunningham? I had been on the road several weeks ago when there was roadworks when the lower speed limit would be understandable, but when I was on the road last Sunday the 60km/h limit remains in place and even looks permanent.

There was an accident near Newtown on the weekend of the May Bank Holiday in 2009, when there was at least 1 fatality. I thought the speed reduction might have been a response to this, but why wait 17 months to do this?

I spoke to a relative from Newtown who never realised there was a speed limit of 60km/h for quite a distance on the N13 towards Letterkenny. Accident remedial work should have the speed limit signs highlighted with yellow and extra hatch markings, street lights and pedestrian crossing refuges. Not so...from what I hear some of the islands have been removed and no additional lighting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

RadioCity wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the 60km/h speed limit on the N13 at Newtowncunningham? I had been on the road several weeks ago when there was roadworks when the lower speed limit would be understandable, but when I was on the road last Sunday the 60km/h limit remains in place and even looks permanent.

There was an accident near Newtown on the weekend of the May Bank Holiday in 2009, when there was at least 1 fatality. I thought the speed reduction might have been a response to this, but why wait 17 months to do this?

I spoke to a relative from Newtown who never realised there was a speed limit of 60km/h for quite a distance on the N13 towards Letterkenny. Accident remedial work should have the speed limit signs highlighted with yellow and extra hatch markings, street lights and pedestrian crossing refuges. Not so...from what I hear some of the islands have been removed and no additional lighting.

No the speed limit is only for the road works, the road works aren't finished at newtown yet, they are only half done, they are going as far as the end of the galdanagh road with the road works, the speen limit its only temp, the speed limit applies to the road works now taking place near the manor roundabout too, but i never seen anyone actually doing the 60 kph on either roadworks yet always above.

Its strange though its the same crowd (whitemountain) who are doing the roadworks at newtown and manor, but they stopped at newtown end while only half way through and went to manor and are doing that end now, surely it would have been more senseable to do the whole stretch at the newtown end then do manor end or vise versa?

As for the crossing point and islands, its a far to dangerous place to be crossing and very very rarely does anyone use it, the islands have been hit more times than people have crossed id say so more damage is being done by them being there. Also i doubt very much that any of this work is due to accidents, there have been numerous fatal crashes where the road has been resurfaced but no barriars up ect, but they have crash barriers up at what seem like silly places to me (between the junction with main street and the other side of kernans, where ive never seen a car crashing.

All that the road works are is a way to use up the surplus budget from this year so they can get the same amount next year, if they dont the amount they apply for will be reduced by the ammout that they didn't use the year before, or so a council man told me anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

All that the road works are is a way to use up the surplus budget from this year so they can get the same amount next year, if they dont the amount they apply for will be reduced by the ammout that they didn't use the year before, or so a council man told me anyways....

That's why there's always a rush of roadworks to the end of the year. I drove to Dublin last week and came across more roadworks in one trip than i did all year. But surely any improvement is welcomed......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Not long ago the council resurfaced the road around the Ardahy cross-roads near donegal town; the speed signs that had been erected during the work were left up and some ppl received speeding fine/points because of it. That was until a hearse and cortege were all caught in a speed trap, it turned out that the fines issued were not legal as the reduction in speed limit had not been legally sanctioned.

Advertisement