Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good fits for your team

• 15-10-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Thought it'd be interesting to see which opposition players people would choose for their team.

The choices don't have to be realistic, I'm hoping people will identify one weak point in their team and say who they would choose to fill it, and why.
    It's not a take-the-best-player-you-can-think-of topic.

I think I would choose Bastian Schweinsteiger for Utd. He's strong, combative, a good passer of the ball, comfortable in possession, difficult to dispossess, and has the ability to dribble out of tight spots in the centre of midfield. I think he has all the qualities not just to provide a talent upgrade, but to address specific areas of need in Utd's team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

For Spurs I think our biggest weakness is Striker so someone like Dzeko or Tevez would be huge for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I'd take Messi for Rovers. He's just the type of playmaker that would fit right into Tallaght and improve the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

For Arsenal I'd say Ryan Shawcross, we need some "British Steel" in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

As a United fan its pretty obvious the most glaring weakness in the team is central midfield.
    Hopefully we will get to see a fully fit Hargreaves back in the team to give Fletcher a leg out on the defensive side of things.
    No obvious successor to the creativity of Scholes in the panel so would defo go for the most creative man currently playing in England in Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd give my right nut to have Michael Essien at Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Ashley Cole at Anfield would be a real boon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone with super-fast curing hands would be more than welcome at the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pique or Essien.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd take Messi for Rovers. He's just the type of playmaker that would fit right into Tallaght and improve the team.

I'd swap Bradley and take Del Piero off Juve's hands..

Maybe throw in Baker as a sweetener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I said at the time that I think Arteta would have been a good replacement for Xabi Alonso. I still think he's the closest player currently in the PL that could fill his void.

Impossible for obvious reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

When Arsenal were linked with Lucio a couple of years ago, I really wanted him. Always impressed me when I saw him with Bayern. I'd still take him but he's obviously a bit longer in the tooth now.

And, of course, Essien as has been said. Super footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Drogba to Bohs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Conan Byrne, Richie Ryan or Ciarán Kilduff (back!) for Rovers.

Rafael Van Der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder, Shay Given and Tevez (back!) for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Richie Ryan for me could repalce Byrne very well and offer us something else.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

An inanimate carbon rod could do a nice job in goal for l'Arse.

... but seriously, Gonzalo Higuain would be sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

For Spurs I think our biggest weakness is Striker so someone like Dzeko or Tevez would be huge for us.

It's the one thing that's really keeping us from really pushing on. Drogba would be the ideal fit - imagine him feeding of Lennon and Bale, with van der Vaart playing in the hole!!

Semi-realistically, Dzeko, Benzema or Fabiano would do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Spurs are in desperate need of a world class striker. Dont think Benzema would be out of our reach considering he doesnt play much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'd take Andy Reid at Celtic, he's supposed to be looking for a club come January and i think he'd do well up there. I'd take Robbie again to i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Id love Buffon and Essien at Arsenal. Realistically, neither of them will ever happen.

Realistically, Id take Hangelaand/ Enyeama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Anyone who's happy to play for free for Galway United.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Philipp Lahm and a right full to Milan would be pretty sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Being realistic in terms of who we could get in (and not naming obvious proven world class 20m+ lads), I'd love to see Arturo Vidal of Leverkusen and Alexis Sanchez of Udinese at Liverpool. Vidal in MF, Sanchez in the RW role of Kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A right winger/right-sided midfielder/right wingback needed at Chelsea. Far too left sided at the moment: Cole, Zhirkov, Malouda... Need a world class right midfielder at Chelsea.

In that role, I'd have liked to have seen more or Ricardo Quaresma, but I wonder about his temperament at times. Oodles of talent and I don't think he was given enough time to prove how good he was at Chelsea.

Or possible the much touted and the much talked-up Sergio Aguero; again, oodles of talent and doesn't seem to have the disposition of Quaresma either. I'd love to see him in the royal blue at some stage, even tho it may never happen.

Other positions, such as centre half, centre midfield, goalkeeper, etc. have been mooted in the past, but I think they are still solid enough at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Fizman wrote: »
    Being realistic in terms of who we could get in (and not naming obvious proven world class 20m+ lads), I'd love to see Arturo Vidal of Leverkusen and Alexis Sanchez of Udinese at Liverpool. Vidal in MF, Sanchez in the RW role of Kuyt.

I'd say Sanchez could be a 20m+ lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Man United

Jesus Navas_____Steven Defour________ Xavi___________Messi

I'd be happy with any one of those midfielders. Or all of them. :D

Advertisement