Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolognese

Options
  • 15-10-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Right, I seem to be messing this up every time I make. I just want to make it with the ingredients I mention below. But any time I make it it turns out to be a watery mess.

2lbs mince, 1 red onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 tins of plum tomatoes (I think), tablespoon of tomato paste and some oregano at the end. I presume it's the tins that's doing it - is there a particularly good one I should be using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Longer cooking is probably the answer.

There's (usually) lots of water in mince, quite a lot in an onion, and enormous amounts in tinned tomatoes.

So after cooking the mince and onion together for a bit (preferably until they start to fry instead of just steaming) add everything else and let it simmer for a couple of hours. The bonus is that the long slow cooking is likely to produce a much tastier sauce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I simmer my bolognese for 3 hours and it makes a huge difference. Also, do you not add a teaspoon of sugar per tin of tomatoes?

Also, do you not add a teaspoon of sugar per tin of tomatoes?

I was sticking to the OP's ingredients, but I would actually use a bit of tomato ketchup. Stacks of sugar, concentrated tomato, a bit of vinegar - and all in one good squeeze.

And, to borrow a phrase from another forum, "the longer the better"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thanks for the tips guys. When you say simmer for three hours, how often do you stir it? Also, excuse the silly question, but at what point do I know it's simmering for definite?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Renn wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips guys. When you say simmer for three hours, how often do you stir it? Also, excuse the silly question, but at what point do I know it's simmering for definite?

I only stir it twice or three times - it doesn't really need more stirring when it's simmering gently because it won't be in danger of burning. I partly cover it with a lid for most of the time, then take the lid off for the last 30-40 minutes, turning the heat up a bit if there's too much liquid.
    You'll know it's simmering when it's bubbling very gently - usually at number 1 or just slightly higher on your hob control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Right, I seem to be messing this up every time I make. I just want to make it with the ingredients I mention below. But any time I make it it turns out to be a watery mess.

2lbs mince, 1 red onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 tins of plum tomatoes (I think), tablespoon of tomato paste and some oregano at the end. I presume it's the tins that's doing it - is there a particularly good one I should be using?

hi, how are you cooking it/combining the ingredients?

with your ingredients i'd:

fry mince first. brown it, set aside.
    fry the onion till soft/translucent. set aside.
    finely dice the garlic- lightly fry the garlic- do not burn it..!

add paste,stirring vigorously with wooden spoon,add mince,stir,onion,stir,two tins of tomatoes,oregano, stir,
    leave lid off pot/pan low heat, longer the better
    when the top of the mixture starts blistering then you know its simmering,
    i always stir mine every 20 mins, i also add red wine-(good strong wine) or a drop of port.

never put sugar in mine...:confused:

There's a lot to be said for putting it into an ovenproof pot after you've added all the ingredients and sticking the whole lot into an oven at about 140 or 150 degrees.

Then there's virtually no chance of your sauce sticking to the bottom of the pot. Doesn't steam up the kitchen either, though you'll still get nice savoury smells throughout the house.

nompere wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for putting it into an ovenproof pot after you've added all the ingredients and sticking the whole lot into an oven at about 140 or 150 degrees.

Or into a slow cooker - you could leave it in there and go out for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

I would use 3 tins of plum tomatoes with 2lbs of mince, plus a glass of strong red wine. This will be very wet so simmer uncovered to reduce the water and increase the flavour, sugar as mentioned and freshly grated nutmeg would be a good addition too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I usually add a bit of beef stock/oxo cube, adds flavour and thickens it up a good bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement