Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does this mean???

• 15-10-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all, not sure if this right place to post so apologises if not.

This last few weeks I have been getting urges to go to chapel (not for mass but when chapel is empty) for absolutely no reason, I have gone a few times but will only go in if its empty & simply sit there.

I know this isn't a problem as such but have also had dreams where I'm outside chapel & a priest comes to me & says 'you're looking for something, I'm not sure what yet but you are' & then disappears.

i'm not overly religious, go each week & holy days but the pull to go & dreams have really unnerved me, any advice. As i said its not a 'problem' but would be thankful for views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

guest79 wrote: »

This last few weeks I have been getting urges to go to chapel (not for mass but when chapel is empty) for absolutely no reason, I have gone a few times but will only go in if its empty & simply sit there.

I know this isn't a problem as such but have also had dreams where I'm outside chapel & a priest comes to me & says 'you're looking for something, I'm not sure what yet but you are' & then disappears.

i'm not overly religious, go each week & holy days but the pull to go & dreams have really unnerved me, any advice. As i said its not a 'problem' but would be thankful for views.

Watch out for red Indians and talking Coyotes, don't do what they say. Only messing :pac:

Not sure what to make of it to be honest. Are you looking for something? If not then the priest is wrong isn't he? If you believe there is a deeper meaning behind it all then it might be a good idea to pray to God about it. Ask Him from the heart what meanest these things???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 guest79

Watch out for red Indians and talking Coyotes, don't do what they say. Only messing :pac:

Not sure what to make of it to be honest. Are you looking for something? If not then the priest is wrong isn't he? If you believe there is a deeper meaning behind it all then it might be a good idea to pray to God about it. Ask Him from the heart what meanest these things???

Lol, thanks for reply. Probably taking it too serious, am normally happy go lucky & very little bothers me but the gut busting urge to go & simply sit in chapel plus dreams had me wondering if i was mad & couldn't talk to anyone incase they thought same!!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Maybe a dream is just a dream. However, as you are open to the idea of there being a God, it would seem at lease possible that he might be trying to tell something.

Perhaps it is time to scratch that itch. Perhaps, if you aren't doing so already, it is time to start really asking yourself what this whole God thing is all about.

You might enjoy this talk by Os Guinness. I haven't listened to it myself but I'm familiar enough with Guinness to think that this might be relevant.

Maybe a dream is just a dream. However, as you are open to the idea of there being a God, it would seem at lease possible that he might be trying to tell something.

Perhaps it is time to scratch that itch. Perhaps, if you aren't doing so already, it is time to start really asking yourself what this whole God thing is all about.

You might enjoy this talk by Os Guinness. I haven't listened to it myself but I'm familiar enough with Guinness to think that this might be relevant.

Many Thanks, will do, & no didn't ask myself that which is prob why i'm unnerved. Thanks again

Perhaps it is time to scratch that itch. Perhaps, if you aren't doing so already, it is time to start really asking yourself what this whole God thing is all about..

Thank you for the link, it was helpful & being honest with myself I think I am simply losing my catholic faith & I find it daunting, as I said, I'm not overly religious & cannot figure out why this bothers me, but deep down I'm not 110% sure about leaving it.

Have any other posters felt like this or be able to offer any advice/opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Fanny, loved that talk, in particular some of the questions and answers too..

I have an admiration for the character and his families contribution, which apparently is never ending! A good thing too..
    Very open, very honest and inspirational guy, marries everything together very well, and is very well read but not forceful or bolshy.

Actually, as a side note, I recall reading a thread about the whole concept of 'Arthur Guinness' hour etc. lately - and some saying it's a materialistic and opportunistic move etc.

However, taking all that on board, which may be true to a certain extent... I'm not so utterly convinced it's a 'bad' idea either....... I must admit to having a deep respect for the families contribution to Irish Society and their fabulous work ethic and 'value' based ethic for workers and their health and welfare that is equal to none. It's only a pity that most corporations don't emulate that these days...So that's certainly worth celebrating imo..lol..

So, I would defo raise a glass ( if I had one )..:( for that reason alone.

....and the concept of 'scratching that itch'...and a 'journey' etc. and all it's stop gaps is worth digesting and thinking on..

Cool talk.

Thank you for the link, it was helpful & being honest with myself I think I am simply losing my catholic faith & I find it daunting, as I said, I'm not overly religious & cannot figure out why this bothers me, but deep down I'm not 110% sure about leaving it.

Well, I would say there is more to Christianity than a denomination. In other words, perhaps you should look for something that suits you a little more. Evangelical, Pentecostal, Anglican, whatever. I say this a non-denominational Christian who is firmly of the opinion that no one denomination has cornered the market on truth.

You might also enjoy some stuff by Ravi Zacharias. It might not be entirely relevant to the OP's situation but this talk is quite good. Loads more at his website.

I'm always happy to suggest any of Tom Wright's talks. For example, Why Does Jesus' Resurrection Matter? Considering Its Relevance for Today (Talk, Q&A). Peter Kreeft is also interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

lmaopml wrote: »

I have an admiration for the character and his families contribution, which apparently is never ending! A good thing too..
    Very open, very honest and inspirational guy, marries everything together very well, and is very well read but not forceful or bolshy.

Actually, as a side note, I recall reading a thread about the whole concept of 'Arthur Guinness' hour etc. lately - and some saying it's a materialistic and opportunistic move etc.

However, taking all that on board, which may be true to a certain extent... I'm not so utterly convinced it's a 'bad' idea either....... I must admit to having a deep respect for the families contribution to Irish Society and their fabulous work ethic and 'value' based ethic for workers and their health and welfare that is equal to none. It's only a pity that most corporations don't emulate that these days...So that's certainly worth celebrating imo..lol..

....and the concept of 'scratching that itch'...and a 'journey' etc. and all it's stop gaps is worth digesting and thinking on..

Cool talk.

Os Guinness was one of the speakers in the morning session at the Lausanne Congress today. I was well impressed - he's a very smart guy indeed!

lmaopml wrote: »

Cool talk.

Unfortunately Guinness (and just about every other alcoholic drink known to man) is owned by Diageo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

What is wrong with prayer and sacred space? what harm is it doing? If you have doubts about your faith work them out or discuss them with someone. when you say "Catholic" do you mean Roman? Is your problem with what you believe ( e.g. God) or ion human structures and human errors? If so how is that a problem with faith?

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote: »
    What is wrong with prayer and sacred space? what harm is it doing? If you have doubts about your faith work them out or discuss them with someone. when you say "Catholic" do you mean Roman? Is your problem with what you believe ( e.g. God) or ion human structures and human errors? If so how is that a problem with faith?

Hi ISAW, yes I am RC. I have no problem with sacred space or prayer so long as it is heartfelt but for the first time I have doubts about my religion & what it means to me. I am not about questioning the Church but rather if I should or deserve to be part of it. I no longer pray at mass & 'mean it', I go because it is 'expected' which is a sin in itself.

I have not entirely lost my faith but am struggling with aspects of it & my reasoning changes by the minute! I don't see myself changing religion, as I think I would rather have none if I were to decide I could no longer practice as RC, I don't think this is an issue I would want to bother my priest about & majority of friends have long since abandoned religion.

Thanks for post

PDN wrote: »
    Os Guinness was one of the speakers in the morning session at the Lausanne Congress today. I was well impressed - he's a very smart guy indeed!

Hope you're enjoying it PDN :)

Hi ISAW, yes I am RC. I have no problem with sacred space or prayer so long as it is heartfelt but for the first time I have doubts about my religion & what it means to me. I am not about questioning the Church but rather if I should or deserve to be part of it. I no longer pray at mass & 'mean it', I go because it is 'expected' which is a sin in itself.

I have not entirely lost my faith but am struggling with aspects of it & my reasoning changes by the minute! I don't see myself changing religion, as I think I would rather have none if I were to decide I could no longer practice as RC, I don't think this is an issue I would want to bother my priest about & majority of friends have long since abandoned religion.

Thanks for post

Guest79, whatever it is that is challenging you at the moment with your faith is not something that some of us haven't been through at one time or another...It's soooo easy to just forget it; write it off and move on for a time, but it keeps tapping on your shoulder....especially if you are trying to be really honest about your faith or lack of and really understand. It's a search for truth we all look for I guess.....and we have that in common with everybody no matter whom.

It's difficult when your peers or friends are gathered together and have abandoned faith and you're still there saying - yeah but, 'hang on a minute..'...

Yikes, I was once agnostic, and now am firmly Catholic. Whatever is challenging your reasoning has an answer imo........Take one thing at a time and build on it - you don't have to sacrifice your 'brain' in order to have faith - and don't let anybody tell you any different...they know as much as you do.

..but at the end of the day when you satisfy those questions a step of faith is always required - bear this in mind, and start from that reasoning and see where it leads..enjoy it! :)

This forum is pretty cool if there are any questions....

Well, I would say there is more to Christianity than a denomination. In other words, perhaps you should look for something that suits you a little more. Evangelical, Pentecostal, Anglican, whatever. I say this a non-denominational Christian who is firmly of the opinion that no one denomination has cornered the market on truth.

You might also enjoy some stuff by Ravi Zacharias. It might not be entirely relevant to the OP's situation but this talk is quite good. Loads more at his website.

I'm always happy to suggest any of Tom Wright's talks. For example, Why Does Jesus' Resurrection Matter? Considering Its Relevance for Today (Talk, Q&A). Peter Kreeft is also interesting.

Right so, that's my schedule of free time planned for the next week or so..lol...

Tom Wright is pretty cool too...!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Piano man

Hi Guest79,

I just want to encourage you to persevere (Rm 5:4)
    and that way you will find joy in your faith. (Phil4:4)

At the heart of our faith is Love, and some of the greatest revelations on love can be found in the writings of St Therese:
    http://www.pathsoflove.com/love-therese.html
    "Even if the fire of love seemed to have gone out, I would keep on throwing fuel in it and Jesus would take care to light it up again."
    "I assure you that the good Lord is much kinder than you can imagine. He is satisfied with a glance, with a sigh of love... In regard to myself, I find it easy to practice perfection, because I have learned that the way to Jesus is through His Heart. Consider a small child who has vexed his mother by a display of bad temper or disobedience. If the child hides in a corner through fear of punishment, he feels that his mother will not forgive him. But if instead, he extends his little arms towards her and with a smile cries out: ‘Love, kiss me, mamma, I will not do it again,’ will not his mother press the little one to her heart with tenderness, and forget what the child has done? And yet, though she knows very well that her dear little one will misbehave again at the first opportunity, that means nothing if the child appeals to her heart. He will never be punished..."

God bless :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Been there, done that.

Go with the flow man. Don't rationalize.

Sitting in a quiet chapel just contemplating or even just letting whatever it is be is something I wish I could do more often.

my view is that your dreams is answering your initally question - you are looking for something but still not sure.

Sit in the chapel and see what happens and if a priest does happen to engage let your heart free.

+

lmaopml
    Whatever is challenging your reasoning has an answer imo........Take one thing at a time and build on it - you don't have to sacrifice your 'brain' in order to have faith - and don't let anybody tell you any different...they know as much as you do.

Festus
    Been there, done that.

Go with the flow man. Don't rationalize.

Sitting in a quiet chapel just contemplating or even just letting whatever it is be is something I wish I could do more often.

my view is that your dreams is answering your initally question - you are looking for something but still not sure.

Sit in the chapel and see what happens and if a priest does happen to engage let your heart free.

Piano Man
    Hi Guest79,

I just want to encourage you to persevere (Rm 5:4)
    and that way you will find joy in your faith. (Phil4:4)

Hi All, OP here, thank you for your thoughts, it really is very much appreciated. Am still quite up in the air & although I'm still going to mass, I feel that without talking things over that will cease,

Festus - thank you for making me realise that it is a pleasure to be able to sit in a quiet chapel,

Piano Man - for your lovely quote which gives hope

lmaopml - for the advise that this is just not something that will go away

Thanks again, God bless x

Advertisement