Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition attendance numbers - Why are they so low?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

Hey the second part of your post has some really good ideas:D:D.
    Wish i thought of them.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    FWIW.I definately think the idea of money as a prize is a winner.[no pun]The idea of winning ,or breaking even possibly is a very strong incentive to better your scores,I have found this from personal experiance.But the idea of winning an oul bit of plastic or somthing resembling a trophy,[unless it is somthing that can actually be taken off you next year by a better shooter] Doesnt really appeal.Of course we could go the UK route of the silver teaspoons in Bisley[?] too.
    As for making people compete to keep their liscenses.Well,that will activly DIScourage anyone from bothering to take up the sport.You have to jumnp all this BS and then be TOLD you MUST shoot in competitions.What then ?You MUST score a certain percentage or you MUST aquire a certtain grade??No thanks,I'd hand in my pistol then and concentrate on somthing else.That reeks of a dictatorship of sport and govt.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

:o
    Put a pistol comp on a Friday afternoon and I will go!!
    I also don't like the concept of forcing someone to have to shoot comps.

Sport is exactly that, Sport.
    Some may like comps.
    Personally I don't, I have seen how guys can get so an*l about comps in every aspect of life. Life is competitive enough, without forcing comps on anyone.
    I equally don't shoot rifle comps, and why should I?
    I practice constantly, I am always trying to beat MY best.
    I don't care about what others can do, I only care what my best group is.

That I believe is my prerogative. If I was always competing the love of the "sport" would go out of it.
    And I don't believe I am alone on that score.

Paulo6.5, if I wanted a nice starter pistol
    This is a little beaut
    sig.jpg

Cheers tack. That looks nice. And sig have a good name in the world of pistols so I believe. But the mosquito is one I have bin warned against. The one in your pic has trailslide on the side is that the model. What would you be talking about money wise for one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

poulo6.5 wrote: »

Cheers tack. That looks nice. And sig have a good name in the world of pistols so I believe. But the mosquito is one I have bin warned against. The one in your pic has trailslide on the side is that the model. What would you be talking about money wise for one of those.

not sure on the trailside, looks beautiful
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=144

there is another fine .22lr IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That's the Hammerli X-Esse. It was marketed by Sig as the Trailside. Exactly the same except for the name ;).

rrpc wrote: »
    That's the Hammerli X-Esse. It was marketed by Sig as the Trailside. Exactly the same except for the name ;).

What do they retail at these days? (post recession)
    I always fancied one from the first moment I held one.

I could always ask Santy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I would love to attend a comp but I never hear about them. I'm looking into buying a pistol soon. And I will be joining a range this week for that purpose so I might get to hear about and maybe attend a competition. I'm looking forward to it.

If you are only starting out then club competition is the way to go - you will get details from your club of what they have.

Once you want to shoot Interclub/National or indeed International you can look at NASRPC or NTSA
    NASRPC for Non-Olympic disciplines and NTSA for Olympic (ISSF) Discplines.

NASRPC advertise all their shoots to
    a) Subscribers to newsletter@nasrpc.ie
    Juts send them an email if you want to get it

b) On Boards
    Target Shooting/Upcoming Competitions Thread
    Target Shooting/This weekends Events thread.

c) Via the NASRPC Calendar

NASRPC also have a Combined Target Shooting Calendar which includes all the NTSA events and those from other associations and clubs who have participated or publish their dates publicly. Hopefully more people will take part in that and then you should be able to find an event to suit you whenever you want.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

What do they retail at these days? (post recession)
    I always fancied one from the first moment I held one.

I could always ask Santy!:)
    The actual price from Walther (who own Hammerli) is €759 for the sport version:

2742782.jpg

It's always better to go for the sport version because you get the grips as standard. If you have to buy them as an aftermarket addition it's an extra €200. With the standard grips it's €649, so an easy decision to make.

2742782.jpg

It's always better to go for the sport version because you get the grips as standard. If you have to buy them as an aftermarket addition it's an extra €200. With the standard grips it's €649, so an easy decision to make.

Do you need one of those robcop "as I call them" holsters if you go with the ergo grip?

I have a lovely Gaqlco leather holster for my glock, can leather holster be bought for pistols like that?

2742782.jpg

Do you need one of those robcop "as I call them" holsters if you go with the ergo grip?

I have a lovely Galco leather holster for my glock, can leather holster be bought for pistols like that?

I have a lovely Galco leather holster for my glock, can leather holster be bought for pistols like that?
    You don't need one for any competition I've seen them used in.

• Advertisement

You don't need one for any competition I've seen them used in.

Or you haven't seen one used in a competition that needs one

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Or you haven't seen one used in a competition that needs one

B'Man
    I thought I'd already qualified my statement :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

personally Its difficult to juggle family commitments with attendance at competion and with the practice required. Also in these harder times the out lay for the extra ammunition is difficult to justify.

I only shoot clays, but would love to try the Gallery shooting or sillouette but again its time and commitments at home that prevent it.

The biggest reason people do not compete is possibly psychological, That they believ they dont have the ability or know how.

eg the fox rifle shoot\; yes I shoot foxes but Ive never fired from a range other than the 22 lr in Courtlough, what if I dont know what im at and make a fool of myself, range procedures etc etc or the tool fear of my old 222 with duct tape and Nikon scope (complete with faded chipped black tube, competing against a lad with a shiny black Tikka T3 tactical with Schmidt and Bender with wiz bam ballistics and spotting scope.

On the clay side of things there is a possibly mistaken view floating about that unless you are at a certain level your not wanted or welcomed if your only a mediocre shot, or only in it to enjoy the day out, is that not how CSI is making in roads by providing that outlet (maybe its the same for pistol)

prizes are nice, but I know if I was waiting to win a prize it would be a long time coming. My competition is with myself and my firends if I shot 67 today can I get a 72 tomorrow. Can I stay within 5 birds of that lad that shoots c for ireland???

The biggest reason people do not compete is possibly psychological, That they believ they dont have the ability or know how.

eg the fox rifle shoot\; yes I shoot foxes but Ive never fired from a range other than the 22 lr in Courtlough, what if I dont know what im at and make a fool of myself, range procedures etc etc or the tool fear of my old 222 with duct tape and Nikon scope (complete with faded chipped black tube, competing against a lad with a shiny black Tikka T3 tactical with Schmidt and Bender with wiz bam ballistics and spotting scope.

I think the first point is valid but ranges assume that everyone is on the same level - nobody is "assumed" to be safe or know what they are doing. The Range Officers will treat them all the same.

If you need to know how to do something or have questions - you have to realise that that is not unusual - it is the rule rather than the exception - we all learn something every time we go to the range - the Rnage Officers and the other people there shooting will expect people to ask them stuff - it's no big deal - there are plenty of lads who will sit down behind a rifle and fire away without seeking some help from those around them - but eventually - they will ask.

As to your trusty old rifle with chipped and taped scope up against the yoke that cost more than your house and had a 300 page manual with the bipod - it's all the sweeter when you kick their arse.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

the average number of entries at an NASRPC smallbore pistol competition is 21 and i can say that almost every one of them has helped me in some way or other, either lending me kit, advice on technique or just happy to congratulate me when i do well, not to mention the genuine friendships that have been built or the banter and craic "helping" you to relax and enjoy the event.
    My advice would be have a look at the various Association calendars, pick a convenient match and come along, you dont even have to enter, just watch if you want, chat to the lads, I guarantee you will have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I'd agree with a lot of what has been posted before.

Obviously the "current economic climate" makes a big difference.
    Disregarding the ammo costs of shooting a comp (which, TBH, if it's a .22lr PR60 competition the ammo costs are kinda negligible in the overall scale of things IMO), I've been finding the petrol costs to be the hardest to deal with.

Somethings have had to give: My midweek shooting has been curtailed and thus my practice time. Two trips to Midlands per week is pretty much beyond my means at the moment. Particularly if one combined that with a trip to Rathdrum, ECSC, etc. every week or two.

So......have I reduced my own competition attendance?
    To a minor extent, yes. I have had to pass up a trip to Castlemaine recently, as I could not justify the costs in time, ammo, petrol, accommodation, and general wear-and-tear - Last year, I would have been down there in a flash, but not this year.

I've had to cut my cloth accordingly - some competitions I will be able to make it to, others I won't.

I've unfortunately had to cut back on my fullbore ammo useage and can only really practice the fullbore target shooting once a week.

However, my main point is: I will still attend competitions as often as possible (if at all possible) and to do this I've cut back on my smoking, drinking, mid-week plinking, and second day of fullbore practice.

Two less pints a week, that's my competition entry fee covered.
    Two less pack's of smokes, that's my .22 ammo covered.
    Getting the bus into town, not driving in, and no parking to pay for: That's my 308 ammo covered.

It can be done - but it takes some cuts here and there. Nothing too drastic - and to be honest the smoking and drinking cut-backs are doing no real harm at all.

The cost of entry fees has also been already reduced drastically by the Clubs (about 20 - 50% reduction these days across the board) but I doubt if that's increased the number of entries?

I think that those who are competitive by nature will naturally start to compete as soon as possible. Other's will need more persuasion.

The best advice I could give anyone who is just thinking about maybe competing is: Turn up for a look-see, see what the shoot / discipline is about, and take it from there. TBH once you find out that competing is easy (it's winning that's the tricky bit!), you'll be signing up to take part in as many events as you can get to.

Try it!:)

Advertisement