Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell advice

Options
  • 15-10-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Hi I was on here a while back saying our family were getting a pup, obviously preparations needed to be made and we're nearly there. After a lot of research a Jack Russell is really appealing to us as the dog will be getting lots of exercise, also size wise they are perfect for our needs. I've one worry though, my Mother would have the dog during the day and she's quite inexperienced as a dog owner and I've read that Jack Russells can be very hard to train and difficult for an inexperienced owner. Is this true? Also indoors, I know all pups are hyper but do they adapt well to the indoors. The dog will get tonnes of exercise but it would be great if they could be a bit of a couch potatoe too at times:D Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Our two JRT's love nothing but a good sleep on the sofa sometimes... other than that they're balls of energy and can be quite stubborn at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have 3 Jacks and they are all very very different :P

The oldest girl is nearly 10 and has never needed much exercise, she is happiest having a totter around and then cuddling up on your lap
    The middle one is 4 and loves her walks but can cope quite happily with the minimum, but she does love a good play session.
    But the baby who is 2 is awful to live with if she doesn't get at least an hours walk plus training time, plus lots of play time with the other 2 Jacks and my springer.

All of the Jacks I have come across have been very very different. I believe this is because in general they are not "bred" in the same way as other breeds. What I mean by that is that the term "Jack Russel Terrier" seem to encompass a very wide variety of small terriers.

2 of my 3 are quite similar looking and would be classed as stereotypical Jacks, they are small, tan and white, with short hair (the oldest and the youngest) and the middle girl is a lot bigger (10kg compared to their 6kg) and is black and white. But the 2 similar looking dogs are poles apart in terms of personality.

So to cut a very long post short, until you get the dog you really don't know what they will be like. 2 of my 3 will happily be couch potatoes but the youngest doesn't sit still until about 9pm when she'll crash and not move until she's dragged out of bed the following morning :D

They are a brilliant dog though and have massive personalities, I wouldn't be without them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have 2 JRTs and the main reasons people find them difficult is

- they forget they're working dogs in a tiny package, so need lots of exercise
    - they spoil them and treat them like hand bag dogs, so the JRT happily rules the roost cos they're let away with murder
    - they don't realise how stubborn they are, you have to make it worth a JRTs while to do something or they'll sit there giving you the finger (metaphorically speaking :D)

Your Mam should be fine if you can walk the dog before dropping it to her, and if she developes a streak of stubborn! My pair love being up the fields with the other dogs and run their hearts out, but then love to come into the house and snuggle up in bed, preferably under the blanket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My pair love being up the fields with the other dogs and run their hearts out, but then love to come into the house and snuggle up in bed, preferably under the blanket!

That is one trait all three of mine share! good snuggle under a blanket, preferably a fleece one, but the quilt will do :D

Fleece dressing gowns are a big hit too, all the better if they can climb in while you're wearing it first thing in the morning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

jack russells area good pet and great company...........
    as mentioned in another post there is a very wide spectrum of jack russells being bred in ireland at the minute.
    the fashionable jrt to have just now is the so called minature terrier and as with most small/mini terriers it is esssentially a mongrel!
    the pedigree jrt is alot taller than the so called mini jrt so be carefull on what you buy..........
    i have 3 small type jrt,very different but around the 5/7.5 kilo range.......

great pets and loyal but not to be left idle as they are destructive if they get bored
    i personally reccomend bitches as i have found them to be a better companion than a dog

• Advertisement
Advertisement