Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shower monster ???

• 15-10-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all , tell me if ya think im mad..

going to revovate my bathroom and was planning on using an electric shower meant for mains feed (mira escape,9.0kW, nice chrome job), but as my mains water pressure is not good, was considering giving it a feed from the tank in 22mm pipe via a stuart turner 3bar negative head pump then reducing down to 15mm for the final connection.

Perhaps a pumped electric would be easier but the choices are few and they can look a bit cheap, and i was hoping to get a nice overall finish.

am i letting something simple get out of hand?

all comments welcome , d

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

dubdad wrote: »
    Hi all , tell me if ya think im mad..

going to revovate my bathroom and was planning on using an electric shower meant for mains feed (mira escape,9.0kW, nice chrome job), but as my mains water pressure is not good, was considering giving it a feed from the tank in 22mm pipe via a stuart turner 3bar negative head pump then reducing down to 15mm for the final connection.

Perhaps a pumped electric would be easier but the choices are few and they can look a bit cheap, and i was hoping to get a nice overall finish.

am i letting something simple get out of hand?

all comments welcome , d

If the shower you choose is plumbed from the tank (and intended to be) and assuming that the tank is in your attic, and that your attic is at a higher level than your bathroom, you should not need the expense of the Negative Head pump.

These showers are designed to run with a relatively small head of water from the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are on track with the 3bar pump, but the rest of it is misguided. :D

Pump + Hans Grohe shower fittings. :cool:

That's what I did.

Take a walk on the wild side: http://www.trendir.com/archives/000483.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

mira elite st 2

best pumped electric shower from the tank around. I know plumbers who fit these as standard for an electric shower because you can always rely on the water pressure to be constant whereas in certain parts of n.i. it can be low at peak times. pump noise annoys me a little tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Either use a mira elite 2

or try a mains fed if it does not work just leave provision to run a single impeller booster from the attic tank

Eg T450i

i dont trust mains fed showers I either go power shower or pumped electric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dubdad

thanks all

just wondering if anyone had done anything similar really

the mira elite is likely the best solution. just gettin a bit fussy on my end result. think i was initally put off tank-fed after having a look at a powerscourt dimplex, seemed a bit flimsy/poorly made.
    pity there isn't the range of models for tank-fed, as is available for mains-feed, or pumped mixers for that matter!

thanks for the link cnocbui some gorgeous stuff in there but a little out of my price range. love the glass-bubble showerheads.
    i really need to go with an instant electric shower, teenagers:pac::pac::pac:water!

the shower is in a positive head situation but to run a shower meant for mains pressure(england) the best advice i could rummage up was that a negative head pump could emulate this. some showers need a constant pressure on the feed to keep the inlet solenoid closed.

i even have a 15mm tank connection/gate valve blanked off in the new tank i put in the attic a couple a months ago.

see i am doing a complete bathroom refit and have everything in the garage, except the taps and shower, when i found i would have to wait 6 weeks longer for the floor tiles than originally told..and the devil makes work fer idle hands

just needed some sensible talking to put me back on track,
    have to find something else to wreck in the meantime
    thanks again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

i've seen a few heatstore pumped electric showers in student digs in poor water pressure areas - they would cost a good bit less than the mira st if you're looking for a cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dubdad wrote: »

thanks for the link cnocbui some gorgeous stuff in there but a little out of my price range. love the glass-bubble showerheads.
    i really need to go with an instant electric shower, teenagers:pac::pac::pac:water!

Aren't teenagers a bit like motorways and traffic - their use of the resource - hot water - will expand to consume the available supply? :D

Better to have them know it is in limited supply. ;)

Nice shower hardware can be bought from German sellers on eBay for a fraction of the cost locally. That's how I did mine. http://tinyurl.com/2bc6zcc

Advertisement