Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 6 thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Vince Young hurt, Kerry Collins in, Chris Johnson didn't play the last series, it was all Javon Ringer, David Garrard benched, Trent Edwards.

Not sure if CJ was actually benched or not but it would be some comedown from a 2000 yard season to getting benched in less than half a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

eagle eye wrote: »
    Vince Young hurt, Kerry Collins in, Chris Johnson didn't play the last series, it was all Javon Ringer, David Garrard benched, Trent Edwards.

Not sure if CJ was actually benched or not but it would be some comedown from a 2000 yard season to getting benched in less than half a season.

Going into this weekend he was the third ranked RB in the league so I've got to say that a disapointment by his standards will still be better than almost anyone in the league! Besides that, he's been carrying a bit of a thigh injury and with the Titans up 17-0 I really doubt that if they've benched him that it's for preformance issues. Fisher would look like a prize chump if he played his franchise player into the ground and risk agrievating a minor injury into a serious one when the team is up by over two scores.

Syferus wrote: »
    Going into this weekend he was the third ranked RB in the league so I've got to say that a disapointment by his standards will still be better than almost anyone in the league! Besides that, he's been carrying a bit of a thigh injury and with the Titans up 17-0 I really doubt that if they've benched him that it's for preformance issues. Fisher would look like a prize chump if he played his franchise player into the ground and risk agrievating a minor injury into a serious one when the team is up by over two scores.
    I haven't heard much about any injury but they have been saying they are going to give Ringer more reps for the last two weeks. While CJ might be up there in yardage its because of the amount of reps he is getting, his ypc is only 4.3 at this point.

I didn't say he was benched but it was just strange that he had 0 reps on a longish drive. You don't normally take a player out that early in a game regardless of the score and it was only 14-0 at that stage too.

He has been back in since so its possibly just a case of giving Ringer those reps they promised him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Game is over but they keep CJ in the game to attempt to run up the score.

Don't like that at all from the Titans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oatesy23 wrote: »

It probably has more to do with CJ wanting to try and keep chasing the big numbers honestly; I'm sure the Titans would prefer to keep their star player happy than sate the very few fans that even bothered by a team going hard to the end. Running the ball is more effective at winding the clock down than kneeling when you have a back like CJ anyways - if the Jags' feelings were hurt they should do something about it in the return match, they've only themselves to blame for the load of junk time at the end of the game anyways.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »

He is chasing that Barry Sanders record so its understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do you mean the record set by Eric Dickerson?
    At 2,105 he is the leading rusher in a season

Barry Sanders had 2,053

Do you mean the record set by Eric Dickerson?
    At 2,105 he is the leading rusher in a season

Barry Sanders had 2,053

No its the most consecutive 100 yard games on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Titans D is ferocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Chris Johnson's problems this year stem to an O-line that lacks shape and discipline and one main ingredient, A solid blocking Tight End. When you have a solid blocking TE your blocking scheme can enable you to use the extra blocker to open up holes for you.

Now you ask why is he mentioning this and I will tell you from articles I have read and from talking to other football fans and folk one name popped up a lot and that name was Alge Crumpler, Crumpler's experience and blocking ability adds a 6th lineman to any O-line. I checked out vids and between his last 2 seasons with the Titans and now with the Pats as my attention was drawn to him you can see the difference he makes as he is in the thick of it making blocks.

This year the Titans O-line looks flat and lacks that shape to make those extra blocks to assist Johnson powering through. They aren't doing their job and I don't think anyone should lay blame on Johnson here. The video of them doesn't lie. Just look at any of the highlights and pause the vid when Johnson makes impact and you will see what I am talking about.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Running the ball is more effective at winding the clock down than kneeling when you have a back like CJ anyways -

Well this depends on what is left on the clock and what timeouts the other team has. I wouldn't say running the ball is more effective than a kneel. In fact inside 2 mins the kneel is more effective especially if the opposing team has started to burn its timeouts outside the 2 min warning.

if the Jags' feelings were hurt they should do something about it in the return match, they've only themselves to blame for the load of junk time at the end of the game anyways.

I don't understand this, help me out here. Junk time? And where in any report does it show the Jags hurt over CJ remaining in the game. Before that last 35 yard TD Johnsons production rate was low so why wouldn't the Titans leave him in there. I know I would have. I would have split the carries as the Titans did in the 4th quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Chris Johnson's problems this year stem to an O-line that lacks shape and discipline and one main ingredient, A solid blocking Tight End. When you have a solid blocking TE your blocking scheme can enable you to use the extra blocker to open up holes for you.

Now you ask why is he mentioning this and I will tell you from articles I have read and from talking to other football fans and folk one name popped up a lot and that name was Alge Crumpler, Crumpler's experience and blocking ability adds a 6th lineman to any O-line. I checked out vids and between his last 2 seasons with the Titans and now with the Pats as my attention was drawn to him you can see the difference he makes as he is in the thick of it making blocks.

This year the Titans O-line looks flat and lacks that shape to make those extra blocks to assist Johnson powering through. They aren't doing their job and I don't think anyone should lay blame on Johnson here. The video of them doesn't lie. Just look at any of the highlights and pause the vid when Johnson makes impact and you will see what I am talking about.

+1

As soon as I read the first paragraph, Algie Crumpler came into my head. He's a big loss to the Titans. Johnson has also had something like 600 carries and 100 receptions in the 2 seasons before this one, so to match last year's statistics was always going to be hard for a guy his size on such a workload. I remember reading an article that showed only 3 times since 1988 has a running back who lead the NFL in carries gone onto match or exceed yards gained the following year, and two of those occasions were by a certain Emmit Smith. I admire Chris Johnson's confidence, but history was against him in thinking he could beat his own record this year, let alone Eric Dickerson's.

Thing is though that Javon Ringer has a better ypc than CJ at the moment.

I totally agree that the loss of Crumpler is huge though.

Actually who was disagreeing with me a couple of weeks ago when I said that the Patriots run blocking was better this year because of the tight ends and a second year Vollmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Welcome back dude.

Interesting point. I made a comment about Joseph Addai having a better ypc than Johnson this season. It was tongue in cheek, but also true. Colts don't have a set-up for a running game either, haven't had in years. So what's the take on johnson? surely he should still be racking up serious yardage despite the O-line.

Don't get me wrong, Addai is a first rounder, and would probably have pretty good stats were he at a different team (and the Colts have an improved running game this season), but c'mon the O-line can't have dipped that badly that Johnson has gone from 2,000 yards, to slumming it in mediocrity?

Thing is though that Javon Ringer has a better ypc than CJ at the moment.

Helped by a few long runs and low carries of course his YPC is going to be more than CJ.
    Actually who was disagreeing with me a couple of weeks ago when I said that the Patriots run blocking was better this year because of the tight ends and a second year Vollmer?

What has this got to do with the Titans? But Maroney is still dancing around the backfield at Denver with "That better run blocking o-line". So it is a moot point as to how good our o-line is now run blocking as that argument related to Maroney's abilities and no one else.

davyjose wrote: »
    but c'mon the O-line can't have dipped that badly that Johnson has gone from 2,000 yards, to slumming it in mediocrity?

It can and it has. Look at the Pats running game this year and what that extra blocker adds to a scheme. 6 is always better than 5 but the Titans o-line is non existent this season. Just look at the highlight reels they are getting pushed back regularly and not opening gaps. Now I could be way off the mark with Crumpler but having a solid TE in the scheme always helps. But even without the extra blocker the Titans o-line look like a high school o-line in the big leagues.

Helped by a few long runs and low carries of course his YPC is going to be more than CJ.

I'm just pointing it out Tallaght. Its like Johnson was breaking free a lot last year. This year its not happening and I do think Crumpler has a lot to do with it. I think its one of the best pieces of business that Belichick had done is bringing him to New England. BB has been raving about the guy, I heard him speak and he seems really level headed and very intelligent. I think he is a huge plus to the Patriots with two rookie tight ends learning their trade. Both for his locker room presence and his performance on the field he is fast becoming one of my favourite players.
    What has this got to do with the Titans? But Maroney is still dancing around the backfield at Denver with "That better run blocking o-line". So it is a moot point as to how good our o-line is now run blocking as that argument related to Maroney's abilities and no one else.
    I should have put a smiley in there hehe. I was just kidding around mate. :D

As for Maroney, Fred Taylor really hinted that he wasn't putting the work in and if thats the case he doesn't deserve anything good to happen. If he does put the work in then he will make it imo.

Edit:

Here you go

Team Rushing stats

Tennessee Titans 1st 5.2ypc
    New England Patriots tied 19th 4.1ypc
    Tennessee Titans tied 10th 4.4 ypc
    New England Patriots tied 10th 4.4 ypc

As for Maroney, Fred Taylor really hinted that he wasn't putting the work in and if thats the case he doesn't deserve anything good to happen. If he does put the work in then he will make it imo.

And by work you mean moving forward and not sideways ;) On a side note do you know what prank they always pulled on Maroney in his rookie year?

And by work you mean moving forward and not sideways ;) On a side note do you know what prank they always pulled on Maroney in his rookie year?

No, work as in getting in early and going through reps. Taylor was praising lawfirm on WEEI for his work ethic and when questioned about Maroney he said that he needed to get his head into it and work hard on his game. He didn't say outright that he was lazy but he made it clear that he didn't have the hunger like himself and Green-Ellis.

I don't know what the prank was. What were they at?

No, work as in getting in early and going through reps. Taylor was praising lawfirm on WEEI for his work ethic and when questioned about Maroney he said that he needed to get his head into it and work hard on his game. He didn't say outright that he was lazy but he made it clear that he didn't have the hunger like himself and Green-Ellis.

I don't know what the prank was. What were they at?

Diapers in his locker as they called him a baby for not hitting the holes hard enough.

• Advertisement

Diapers in his locker as they called him a baby for not hitting the holes hard enough.

Here is a transcript of what he said on Dale and Holley about them.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/09/17/fred-taylor-on-dh-hope-switch-comes-on-for-laurence-maroney/

Advertisement