Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I lost my sister last week. My big Sis x

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its amazing the power of the internet, how easy you can feel connected to people.

Reading through your post really brought a tear to my eye, it was beautiful.

I am very sorry for your loss, I can thankfully say I've never lost a member of my family, but i remember when one of my friends granddads passed recently and I was also in pieces. I hope you and your family are doing well.

And I know you have plenty of friends here on boards, but if you ever need anyone to talk to, you can count of me, even though you don't know me at all, I'd be more than happy to chat to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dunbar

Hi kiera,

You don't know me, and i don't know you but i feel better for knowing that there are people like you out there, you seem so strong but its important for you to know that your not alone. You described your sister so beautifully. I'm not a religious person, but i will say a prayer for you and your family and you will be in my thoughts.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I lost my younger brother to cancer last year. He was only 20.

The pain is unbearable. Time goes by and it fades from peoples minds but for me, its like he died yesterday.

He was incredibly brave. He endured all the treatment, chemo + radio but the cancer came back and spread to all his body. He went from having years to live, to months and in a short period of time just weeks.

He had to stay at a hospice so they could get his pain medication sorted out but all he wanted to do was get home. With every bit of his strength he did it. He came and spent the last couple of weeks at home...

I would do anything to bring him back.

Keira: You are in my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Wow hard to beleive a year has passed. Sorry for the bump, mods. Just wanted to leave a quick note to those who have also lost someone.

I think the year following the death of a loved one is so hard. You have to go through all the "firsts". First Birthday without them, first Christmas, first trip away without them, first everything really and its very tough. I'm hoping now all the first are out of the way that it will get much easier. I find remembering all the fun times and not the sickness a big help. No point in dwelling on the bad. Remember your loved one for all the giggles they gave you.

I'm always here if anyone needs to chat and to help others like i've been helped on this site.

Miss you Sis x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I was thinking of you today as I thought it was around this time last year you posted that wonderful OP.

Thinking of you and yours Kiera xxxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kiera wrote: »
    Wow hard to beleive a year has passed. Sorry for the bump, mods. Just wanted to leave a quick note to those who have also lost someone.

I think the year following the death of a loved one is so hard. You have to go through all the "firsts". First Birthday without them, first Christmas, first trip away without them, first everything really and its very tough. I'm hoping now all the first are out of the way that it will get much easier. I find remembering all the fun times and not the sickness a big help. No point in dwelling on the bad. Remember your loved one for all the giggles they gave you.

I'm always here if anyone needs to chat and to help others like i've been helped on this site.

Miss you Sis x x x

Hope your doing well Keira. You seem to be on the right track anyway. x

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I'm so sorry to hear of your sister, I can't imagine the hurt and loss.

Mind yourself, be good to yourself. Please take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Your very courageous to post that message.my deepest condolences to you and all your family.she was extremely lucky to have a sister like you.mind yourself and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

sorry to hear that, i lost my mam to cancer in march 2010, heartbreaking, still cant believe it, no words for your pain and loss, ill say a prayer for you and your family xx god bless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fair play to you Kiera, it must have been an incredibly difficult year x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

I'm sorry to hear about your sister Keira.
    I just randomly came into this forum and while it is a sad forum, some of the posts are nice reading, yours being one of them. It's upsetting to read of how sad everyone is, but then the posts where they talk about how great/special unique their loved one was is very nice to read.
    RIP to your sister and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Oh, Kiera I only read about your sister for the first time today. A very heartbreaking post - I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope you and your family are all OK.

You're all in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Kiera, I often think of you so am glad that this post was bumped. I've lost both my parents when I was pretty young - but I think the loss of a sibling must be so different. It's just not supposed to happen.
    Your post at the time, was so beautifully put, and when I see you on other threads this past year, I often wonder how you're doing, and how your sisters child and hubby are.

Anyway, just wanted to say that - take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Fittle wrote: »
    Kiera, I often think of you so am glad that this post was bumped. I've lost both my parents when I was pretty young - but I think the loss of a sibling must be so different. It's just not supposed to happen.
    Your post at the time, was so beautifully put, and when I see you on other threads this past year, I often wonder how you're doing, and how your sisters child and hubby are.

Anyway, just wanted to say that - take care.

Awww thank you and i'm so sorry for your loss x

Her hubby and little boy are getting there. Jamie (her son) is acutally starting to talk about his Mam now and its really nice. He's not holding it in anymore which is great and everything he says is positive and he never speaks about seeing her so sick which is great and i hope those thoughts are far far away from his mind.

And thanks to everyone for the lovely comments since i posted last. They really mean a lot and just prove how caring people are x x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I read most of your first post before my eyes filled up, so I havent read any more, just to say I've had two very dear family members taken by cancer and it fukin sucks.

In the early 70's my 3 brothers and myself were growing up and into machinery and bikes, as I think all lads were then. As with all family's some get on better with some than with others. I got on really well with Tony, we did everything together.....fast forward over 20 years, 6 operations, thousands of miles of travel and hundreds of thousands of prayers....and I'm buried my brother from complications from a fukin tumor. He's dead 15 years but I'm crying right now, and he was'nt the last.

Anyway morbidity over, life does go on...

It's different, and the focus is very different, but it does go on, you will never be the same again, but you have to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Kiera,
    Only saw this thread now.
    So sorry to hear about your sister. We lost our far too young cousin to cancer 2 years ago and it's still hard to think about.
    Hope you and your family are doing good after 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks kira, it is good for all of us to know that deep down we are one and the same, feel pain the same way, always light a candle to her, she is never far away, and keep her in you and her sons mind, speak of her always to him, you have alot to tell him, about the early years and the kind of sis she was to you, and mother she was to him,
    she is no longer in pain, she is looking after you and him along with the rest of her family,
    you can live with the great memories of a childhood together,
    keep well.

Advertisement