Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL PC not shutting down correctly

Options
  • 16-10-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭

Dell PC 9150. didnt shut down fully. pulled the plug out but when plugged in goes to orange light and green light number 2 (checked dell website but they dont say anything for just no 2 light on). The green light on the mother board is on. I took the hoover to it to remove 4 years worth of dust and clicked the graphics card in and out.

any ideas?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭weisses

re-install your os maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it wont start either, its just orange light on the on/off button. so even when I plug it out and back in , it "whirrs" for about 3 seconds and thats it.?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

silverharp wrote: »
    it wont start either, its just orange light on the on/off button. so even when I plug it out and back in , it "whirrs" for about 3 seconds and thats it.?
    Happened to my sisters old Dell Laptop (I do not know the model). We rang dell and they were helpful but it was useless. She got a new one but was lucky enough to get all her info. If you are still under warranty ring and see if they can help.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Clean up your computer - i.e., the software side. Get spybot to clean it up and run a virus scan across all drives.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Don't pull the plug out on it again. If you need to, hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds to switch it off.

Edit: Sorry, I hadn't read post #3.
    So it was working, it was slow shutting down so you plugged it out and now it won't start up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Most likely a bad power supply.

According to your service manual troubleshooting section, the blinking amber light means:

Blinking amber
    A power supply or system board failure has occurred.
    Check the diagnostic lights to see if the specific problem is identified. Also, see "Power Problems" in your computer Owner's Manual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement