Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic women and trousers

• 16-10-2010 10:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭

According to this article, catholic women should not wear trousers. I have yet to see any woman refused entry to a church by reason of wearing trousers.
    I have seen a notice in the Tridentine chapel in Monkstown which does state that women do not wear slacks.
    I wonder how long the Catholic Church would last in Ireland if it tried to enforce a ban on the wearing trousers by women at any time, let alone in a Church.
    In recent years nurses in religious run hospitals have switched from wearing white dresses to navy trousers. I would imagine that this is unlikely to be reversed.

http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/tradition/page45.phtml

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is an interesting (well I gave up about two thirds of the way through, but I got the gist) and apparently well-researched article, of absolutely no relevance to anything. Things change, thank goodness, and the world does not stop turning.

My only problem with women wearing trousers are the ones with less than perfect legs who wear exceptionally tight jeans, leggings on anyone, and builders' bum (on either sex).

It is difficult to see how a 30cm strip of fabric round the loins can be considered more modest than trousers. In fact it occurs to me that if we are looking at this just from the point of view of modesty and chastity, a skirt is a lot easer to get inside than a trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think church attendance would rise if the women in attendance could not wear trousers:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think church attendance would rise if the women in attendance could not wear trousers:pac:

I would think that Christians do not regard 30cm of cloth as modest and at least another 20 cm should be added. Would women change their attire in order to continue going to church?
    Are men staying out of the church beacuse of the attire of the women?
    Would men go back so they could ogle?
    I think some women would drop out of the church if they had to eschew trousers.
    I do not think there are men avoiding churches because of trouser clad women.
    I do not think more men would go just so they can ogle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

JimiTime wrote: »

If the trousers are a problem they could just take them off?

I'm reminded of the story of an American ultra-legalistic Pentecostal group who tried to start a church in the UK and were too dumb to understand that 'pants' in England does not refer to trousers as it does in the US. The signs outside their meetings said, "We would request that women do not wear pants to church."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

when I was at school a girl of about eight wore trousers under her skirt one day because she had a coldor something. She was discovered by a nun teaching her and promptly sent to the head nun. The trousers came off and the cane came out in jig time. She didn't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JesterMinute

Women should not wear men's attire. But the thing is so far gone I am not sure how you could change it now. Good example I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I hope that this thread is largely tongue in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JesterMinute

I hope that this thread is largely tongue in cheek.

I'm not being tongue in cheek. It is scientifically verified fact that women wearing trousers is a bad thing, from a Christian point of view. I'll have a look for the evidence.

EDIT: There don't seem to be any reports available online. But basically, the gist is that eye movement studies show that men look upon women differently if they are wearing trousers. They should wear a dress or skirt instead. Women should not wear men's clothing as it tends towards immodesty, which adversely affects the woman and the man who looks upon her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

Tight pants are deleterious to a mans fertility, it should be men wearing the skirts what with the Christian emphasis on family ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

nothing wrong with men wearing kilts - far healthier.

Advertisement