Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router with SNMP

Options
  • 16-10-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

hi all.

im wondering about a bit of expert advice on this.

i have smartvision modem at home and connect wirelessly using a belkin f5d8333 wireless router.

for the last few months now im nearing the 170gb bandwith and was actually throttled last week (email address was wrong, so i never knew about what was going on until speed dropped).

anyway, out of goodwill i am sharing my internet with my neighbour, but i am under the impression internet usage is higher than what is being reported.

i do download, but i dont think i download that much, and ive been told its only streaming on the other side.

i need a bandwith monitor. since all devices connect via the belkin, (the smartvision router has no snmp that i can see on the menu), i think i need to invest in SNMP capabilities.

does anybody know of a wireless router that has SNMP capabilities?i dont mind buying i think as itll come in handy down the line.

ive read about dd-wrt and SNMP but i had a wrt54g that died after 1 1/12 years and i never managed to use the ddwrt as a dedicated wireless router, only as a wireless bridge, and never got MAC address filter working on it, just WEP.

alternatively, if there is windows software out there that can monitor that, but again, needs to be able to measure via ip addresses.

Thanks for the information on SNMP, expertise is welcome here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

it's a shame you don't have the dd-wrt router anymore, as it has both a traffic monitor (overall consumption http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WAN_Traffic_by_Month), and SNMP so you can pull individual stats...

what I'd do in your case is use something based on dd-wrt as the router, and have 2 VLANs - one for you and one for the neighbour. that way, you can monitor their usage as being distinct to yours (it's easier to monitor usage per VLAN than individual IP address)

I use odmon.com to monitor my dd-wrt, which is able to show consumption for all interfaces - VLANs included, at 15 min intervals - You can then judge consumption relative to each other.

That's the technical solution, what I'd say in reality is they have some p2p application, and don't know how to stop seeding...maybe you can teach them about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

thanks for the answer. ill start researching all of that as soon as im done with exams this week.

alternatively, im looking to mac-ing my whole house :D

so im kinda finger crossing that either time capsule or airport extreme has snmp :)

Advertisement