Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firewire port extension

Options
  • 16-10-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Folks,

I have a dell precision 390 pc which has no firewire port. I also have a Sony DCR-HC53E handycam from which I would like to transfer some movies to the pc via the sony ilink cable (firewire). Can I buy like a firewire pci card for the pc or something similar to enable tihs to happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You should be able to pick up a PCI 2 or 4 port Firewire card for ~20€.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could get one delivered from elara for €25. They're cheaper on ebay, but you might be waiting a while.

You can get usb to firewire adapters, but they're usually expensive, rare and probably slower than the add in card solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

You just need to buy a riser.....

The Dell PrecisionTM 390 workstation delivers incredible performance and scalability at a great price, all in a flexible, customer-driven chassis design.

Chassis Design

Dell has delivered an updated customer-driven chassis design with the Dell Precision 390, combining reliability and ease of access in a flexible, rack-ready form.
    Design features include rotating optical bays, single-latch internal access, front-panel diagnostic and network LEDs, mic and headphone jacks and optional 1394a connector, as well as an innovative front bezel design for optimal ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tuts ballymac

I have an old Sony camcorder HC44E and wish to stream film from the tape in camcorder to my PC; My laptop is Compaq Pressario with Vista Windows Home Premium; I don't have firewire port, will the Sony I Link cable fit in my laptop port?
    I tried a cable with 4male and 6male, IEEE1394, it did not fit laptop port, but it did fit camcorder port.
    :confused:

Hi tuts ballymac

To connect the camcorder, you need to have a firewire port(in the PC or laptop) to plug in the firewire lead from the camcorder.

• Advertisement

This set of adapters might help...... Depending on the adapter type suitable for your laptop.

http://www.nextag.com/adapter-firewire-laptop/stores-html

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I have a firewire pci card on adverts if it's any good to you. It came out of a dell as far as I remember. I'll post it to you and you can test it if you want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I tried camcorder to PC via firewire but nothing came close to the quality of a recording transfer to DVD via a decent DVD recorder

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement