Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Raedwald wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/jul/21/the-hobbit-peter-jackson-clip?INTCMP=SRCH

Read this article yesterday and I was just wondering if
    the fact that PJ is in the UK means that Christopher Lee is going to be appearing in the film? At least that's what I thought the article was hinting at!
    Watch the latest Production Diary, all will be revealed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I don't get it - was
    Saruman
    in the Hobbit novel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jcf wrote: »
    I don't get it - was
    Saruman
    in the Hobbit novel ?
    it's dicussed about 15 posts up from yours, albeit with a few more spoilers thrown in...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't get it - was
    Saruman
    in the Hobbit novel ?
    No, but neither was Frodo, Galadriel and Legolas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Wasn't Saruman mentioned though? I could have sworn he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Is Elijah Wood going to be in the Hobbit too??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Best guess...the film will begin by Frodo reading from Bilbos book, there and back again, a hobbits tale by bilbo baggins

Saruman, Galadriel Gandalf (aka the white council)etc will take on the necromancer(who turns out to be Sauron) at dol goldur..big battle scene etc..

legolas will make a (hopefully ultra brief) appearance in the thousand caves/mirkwood sequence cos well hes 3000 years old and they can basically.

Radagast(may also be on the white council-he isnt mentioned in The Hobbit book either)

and basically the two films that we're about to get are the hobbit and the lost years leading up to the Frodos time with the ring, depeicted as only PJ can.

in a word..it's gonna be deadly...hopefully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I haven't been this excited about a film since LOTR!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The logical split for the movies would be Mirkwood, no? Ending on a cliff hanger with the party in captivity for weeks / months.

depoends how he edits...the battle at Dol Goldur(if thats what ye mean by mirkwood?) could be a good ending for part one yeah..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hadn't thought about the Dol Guldur part of Mirkwood but yeh that would fit alongside the Dwarves' captivity for sure, assuming they were occuring around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

New video blog, is it just me or is Peter Jackson just f*cking awesome? :D

Edit: ahh, already posted on the previous page, but mine is EMBEDDED!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

david75 wrote: »
    Radagast(may also be on the white council-he isnt mentioned in The Hobbit book either)

and basically the two films that we're about to get are the hobbit and the lost years leading up to the Frodos time with the ring, depeicted as only PJ can.

I thought I read somewhere Radagast might get a reasonably significant part in one of the films, probably the lost years one. I thought they had canned the whole lost years thing and just stretched the Hobbit out to two movies instead though? I hope thats not the case thought as I think The Hobbit could easily be squeezed into one movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They've stretched the book into two films, plus whatever they've added. Del Toro did that when he joined the production.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Knowing PJ, two films is a much better idea. Give everything the time it deserves without worrying about the run-time. V much looking forward to it. When's the first one out? Next Xmas?

PJ is all about mistepping us while seemingly feeding us info so i wouldnt rule out the second film being intercut about the tale of lost years entirely but well see..

he just turned up at comic con apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere Radagast might get a reasonably significant part in one of the films, probably the lost years one. I thought they had canned the whole lost years thing and just stretched the Hobbit out to two movies instead though? I hope thats not the case thought as I think The Hobbit could easily be squeezed into one movie.

It wouldn't even need that much squeezing tbh...

wait a second , they are milking this into 2 films ???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wait a second , they are milking this into 2 films ???

office%20space%20memo.jpg

haha nice one !!

Just after watching the extended trilogy and back in the mood for this so only reading up on it now - tbh the Hobbit is a short book, I thought they could fit it into one 3hr film.

And lets be honest here, the 3rd part of LOTR is way too long...

so looks like he'll do the same with this one...

• Advertisement

haha nice one !!

Just after watching the extended trilogy and back in the mood for this so only reading up on it now - tbh the Hobbit is a short book, I thought they could fit it into one 3hr film.

And lets be honest here, the 3rd part of LOTR is way too long...

so looks like he'll do the same with this one...

Yea it is a short book alright but I think they'll be showing a lot of stuff that was only mentioned in passing in this. We'll get to see where gandalf kept dissappearing to and who knows what else, since it's the same guys that made the original trilogy I trust them enough to do a good job.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea it is a short book alright but I think they'll be showing a lot of stuff that was only mentioned in passing in this. We'll get to see where gandalf kept dissappearing to and who knows what else, since it's the same guys that made the original trilogy I trust them enough to do a good job.

Actually yeah, I hope we see some of the Sauron stuff - that was only briefly mentioned in the book - wasn't he mentioned as a necromancer ??

From wikipedia -
    * Ian Holm as old Bilbo Baggins: During the early stages of pre-production, former director Guillermo del Toro indicated that he was interested in having Holm reprise the role of Bilbo, but acknowledged that he might be too old to take on such a physically demanding role. On his potential casting, Del Toro stated, "[Holm] certainly is the paragon we aspire to. He will be involved in some manner, I'm sure."[10] He also indicated that he was open to the possibility of Holm narrating the films.[11] On 10 January 2011, Deadline Hollywood reported that Holm had entered into negotiations to play the older incarnation of Bilbo.[12] On 3 March 2011, Holm revealed that he had been in talks with the producers about reprising the role, but that he hadn't heard back from them yet.[13] On 22 April 2011, Jackson confirmed via Facebook that Holm had been added to the cast.[14]

So they will forward past LOTR ? for Bilbo's narration ?

weird

wasn't he mentioned as a necromancer ??

Yea that was him afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

So they will forward past LOTR ? for Bilbo's narration ?

weird

Why would they need to do that? You do know there was a whole 60 years between the Hobbit and LotR, plenty of time to set the narration before he departs for the white shores of the Undying Lands. My take on it would be he's reading the story to Frodo possibly on the eve, or even the day of his 111th birthday, to tie it in nicely with LotR.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

david75 wrote:
    Best guess...the film will begin by Frodo reading from Bilbos book, there and back again, a hobbits tale by bilbo baggins
    I think Frodo will be in it briefly, but I imagine Bilbo will read the book himself
    He is mentioned in The Hobbit
    No, but neither was Frodo, Galadriel and Legolas.

She was part of the white council,

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump... latest video update from PJ:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ah, 360p video, we meet again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

from top to bottom this massive team are all masters of their respective arts.

And similar to the LOTR trilogy they will be technical masterpieces.

However.... 3D..... god damn :(
    I hope to god they do something about the loss of brightness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

However.... 3D..... god damn :(
    I hope to god they do something about the loss of brightness.

Who cares. Just go see it in 2d, thats what I always do

Advertisement