Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

However.... 3D..... god damn :(
    I hope to god they do something about the loss of brightness.

The darkness comes from the projector/glasses side of things rather than the way it is shot.

The distributors of 3D movies usually recommend that the projector bulbs are turned right the way up to compensate for the dark glasses...but most cinemas ignore these guidelines to prolong the life of the bulb. So I would complain to the cinema first, you're certainly paying enough that they shouldn't be sacrificing the viewing experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I shall be going to see this in 2D, I think. I just hope the 48 to 24fps conversion works as well as Jackson claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

thorbarry wrote: »
    Who cares. Just go see it in 2d, thats what I always do

Fair point of course, however where we are the majority of 3D films have no 2D version available to choose.
    We'd have to travel to dublin for that choice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fair point of course, however where we are the majority of 3D films have no 2D version available to choose.
    We'd have to travel to dublin for that choice.

Really? where are you? 3D is still a minority choice in the wesht anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, 360p video, we meet again...

A video about shooting in the joys of 5K, and it's in 360p.

Tut. Tut. Tut. Although maybe the facebook original was better!

Also: death to 3D. Sorry Jackson, you ain't convincing me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I shall be going to see this in 2D, I think. I just hope the 48 to 24fps conversion works as well as Jackson claims.

I think they'll drop every second frame, and if it looks too strobey due to the shutter angle, they can just add in a bit more motion blur by blending between the kept and dropped frames.

Bluray doesnt support 48fps but it does support 50fps at 720p. So in theory they could speed it up to 50fps (no different to the current PAL DVD speedup) and present it at that framerate so you'd be getting every frame and the full smoothness. I don't think they would do this, people would complain that it was 'only' 720p but it would certainly be an interesting idea to do that for a bonus 2D disc alongside the main 3D 24fps disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i was wondering if i go to see this movie in 3d do i have to keep taking my glasses off for some scenes and then putting them back on for other scenes like i have with previous 3d films ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Don't have any problems with 3D myself, can't wait to see how PJ handles it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'm just worried is he inserting gimmicky comedic stunts for the dwarves to make something out of the 3d? There was one shot there of a bunch of dwarves flying backwards. He has an uphill struggle to not make them slapstick as it is, they could be the undoing of it before we even get to the 3d. Nothing comedic or slapstick about the dwarven race if my reading of the appendices is right. They were grim as fook and this mission in the hobbit was about going to take back what's theirs. Hope he respects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

david75 wrote: »
    I'm just worried is he inserting gimmicky comedic stunts for the dwarves to make something out of the 3d? There was one shot there of a bunch of dwarves flying backwards. .
    I assumed that they were filming the trolls scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed the production diary, but meh to 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Black Oil wrote: »
    Enjoyed the production diary, but meh to 3D.

They will release a 2d version as well won't they??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I know everyone hates 3D (including myself) but i get the impression that 3D was a studio execs' decision - we should really just be grateful the film's being made at all!

2D for me unless i hear it's amazing. Not a fan of wearing two pairs of glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Cant wait for this movie, hopefully it will be jackson at his best:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I know everyone hates 3D (including myself) but i get the impression that 3D was a studio execs' decision

Hmm, Jackson seems super-enthusiastic about it in that production diary, but yes I'm sure the studio would have mandated its use even if he was violently opposed to it.

I still think all the big Hollywood directors (barring, thankfully, Mr. Nolan) have some bizarre enthusiasm towards the tech that we audience members are jsut to 'slow' to pick up on :P Either that, or they've got past the denial stage and are onto reluctant acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I still think all the big Hollywood directors (barring, thankfully, Mr. Nolan) have some bizarre enthusiasm towards the tech that we audience members are jsut to 'slow' to pick up on

I'm not a fan of 3D, but there is a huge difference between, say, Avatar in 3D, which was filmed that way from the outset, and a 2D movie like Thor which gets a post-production 3D conversion.

The Hobbit movies will be 3D done right, judging from the production diaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JK, i know what you mean. Avatar looked great, but the story was pants. Since then, lots of films have been 3D.
    Cheap horrors with cheap 3D... Crap
    Post-pro 3D on ok movies (the superhero stuff)...meh
    Kids animated films...It works, but its still a kids movie.

The Hobbit could really be the combo breaker. If this has similar tech and dedication as to Avatar behind it. A good story, a world that is half way bewteen real life and avatar's planet. Everythign is there to be the first genuine great 3D movie. Avatar with a storyline really.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Good to see Jackson's getting fat again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Teaser trailer for the Hobbit is being played before Tin Tin in the US this weekend. No idea what the plans are for Europe.

is this on a tv broadcast?
    if so you know some ringers will grab it and youtube it..
    we can only hope :)

did you guys read the description? sounds great :)

• Advertisement

thehobbitbiblomovieempiremagazinescan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

trailer drops in the early hours of the night..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10774366
    The wait will soon be over for Hobbit fans: Peter Jackson will unveil the first trailer for his hugely anticipated movie tomorrow.

Studio officials said the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey would be launched at 4pm on Wednesday, and nzherald.co.nz readers can expect to see it on their favourite news site as soon as possible after that time.

Anticipation for the film, based on JRR Tolkein's iconic book, is high as only a handful of production photos of actors in character have been seen.

But a new synopsis of the film, released today, unveils new details about the movie.

"The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug," the statement said.

"Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield.

"Their journey will take them into the wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers.

"Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever ... Gollum.

"Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities ... A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know."

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released on December 14, 2012, with the second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, due out on December 13, 2013.

Hurry up already!

Hobbit trailer for the U.S.: 7 pm on the west coast, 8 mountain, 9 central and 10 p.m. on the old coast

david75 wrote: »
    Hobbit trailer for the U.S.: 7 pm on the west coast, 8 mountain, 9 central and 10 p.m. on the old coast

Irish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Irish time?
    1am...

.. I think.

EDIT: Nope, actually 3am seems to be indicated elsewhere.

Basq wrote: »
    1am...

.. I think.

EDIT: Nope, actually 3am seems to be indicated elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

I like watching singing dwarves! Deadly!

(watch on Youtube for 1080p goodness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

omegod i love ittt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I thought the second movie was supposed to be about the 60 years the ring was safely in the Shire.

Why is the second movie called The Hobbit: There and Back Again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

They're essentially splitting the book in half, in addition to discussing the battle at Mirkwood with the Necromancer AKA Sauron. Hence nothing regarding Smaug in the trailer, and probably nothing till the final shot of the first film - just to tease us...

Advertisement