Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry Christopher Nolan..

.. but THAT'S how you do a trailer.

As much as I liked TDKR trailer - hearing Howard's Shore score again won me over immediately.. that plus it genuinely looks excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Had nearly forgotten about this, after a pretty dismal 2011, such a heap of films to look forward to in 2012. Spiderman Batman Superman, Promethius and the Hobbit.

This one is like an old friend coming back for Xmas, trailer looks promising :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not a great trailer IMO, the highlight though has to be the dwarves singing, I thought that was very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I loved that trailer, can't wait for the film.

A full year to wait...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

FlashD wrote: »
    Had nearly forgotten about this, after a pretty dismal 2011, such a heap of films to look forward to in 2012. Spiderman Batman Superman, Promethius and the Hobbit.

This one is like an old friend coming back for Xmas, trailer looks promising :)

Hate to rain on your parade but Superman won't be out till 2013. You can thank this for that. Anyway can't wait for this, I got goosebumps hearing Gollum at the end

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're essentially splitting the book in half, in addition to discussing the battle at Mirkwood with the Necromancer AKA Sauron. Hence nothing regarding Smaug in the trailer, and probably nothing till the final shot of the first film - just to tease us...

Is it not how they're doing the book then a movie set between this and LOTR? I remember hearing that way back when Del Toro was still doing it, they could very well have scrapped that idea. Either way this looks great, I loved the Dwarves singing and how they sneaked they (what I assume is) the new theme music in there.

It only really hit me after seeing that that I get two more christmases seeing a movie set in middle earth :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it not how they're doing the book then a movie set between this and LOTR? I remember hearing that way back when Del Toro was still doing it, they could very well have scrapped that idea.
    That was originally Jackson's plan but it was scrapped. It was one of the first things del Toro did when he came onboard. They are splitting the book and working their ideas for the LOTR prequel into the main narrative of The Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Basq wrote: »

As much as I liked TDKR trailer - hearing Howard's Shore score again won me over immediately.. that plus it genuinely looks excellent!

Is Howard Shore back again for the hobbit?

I remember hearing a falling out with PJ in the last one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It looks good - more Lord of the Rings to all extents and purposes! - but I'll admit to not being a particular fan of 2 and a half minute long trailers being released a year in advance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It looks good - more Lord of the Rings to all extents and purposes! - but I'll admit to not being a particular fan of 2 and a half minute long trailers being released a year in advance :pac:
    But unlike most 2 and a half minute trailers... it didn't give away a barrage of plot details.

Dialogue was minimal enough..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sorry Christopher Nolan..

.. but THAT'S how you do a trailer.

It's a good trailer and that's about it. I don't think it will attract fans who ain't famillar with the previous lotr films and also the trailer shows very little action. The only part that made me intrested was the final 15 secs. I'm sorry mr Jackson and mr shore but chris Nolan and hanz Zimmerman just whooped your ass in tdkr trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ricero wrote: »
    It's a good trailer and that's about it. I don't think it will attract fans who ain't famillar with the previous lotr films and also the trailer shows very little action. The only part that made me intrested was the final 15 secs. I'm sorry mr Jackson and mr shore but chris Nolan and hanz Zimmerman just whooped your ass in tdkr trailer

Is it a contest now?

They are 2 completely different films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ian McKellen doesn't look like he's aged a day since the LOTR trilogy.

I really hope he hasn't been messing around with any magic rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Is it a contest now?

They are 2 completely different films.

no but basq was trying to make it a competition and i gave my view on which trailer was better.

it was a good trailer but it seemed very pg to me, ive never read the hobbit so i don't know if this book is dark in places or family friendly. anyone care to shed some light on this ?

no but basq was trying to make it a competition and i gave my view on which trailer was better.

it was a good trailer but it seemed very pg to me, ive never read the hobbit so i don't know if this book is dark in places or family friendly. anyone care to shed some light on this ?

Although a big LOTR fan since my teenage years (which was a while ago), I shied away from reading The Hobbit as I always believed it was a children's story - I only read it about a year ago and was quite surprised by how dark it was. The spiders in Mirkwood were pretty scary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The dwarves already seem far too slapstick. This could be these films undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Block (8 wrote: »
    Is Howard Shore back again for the hobbit?

I remember hearing a falling out with PJ in the last one.

I think it was King Kong they had creative differences on, it happens though, I dont think they said they wouldnt work together again on it, James Horner had a big falling out with James Cameron about the score for Aliens and they've worked together numerous times since.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

One does not simply wait until next december

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It looks like Gandalf and Galadriel are having a 'moment' in the trailer as she touches his hair :confused: Can anyone explain this, is it something that pops up in another book? I don't even remember Galadriel being in The Hobbit

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It's a children's book - a very good one at that. It is dark in places but certainly does not have the same sense of menace and foreboding that runs through LOTR.

I think it looks great myself - the dwarves all look very distinguished which is important since there are I think 14 of them. There will be plenty of action in the finished film even if you don't see it in the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Probably her looking after him after he's escaped from dol goldur and discovered the necromancer is actually Sauron. Gandalf disappear halfway through the Hobbit and is researching the ring and dol gilder at the time as well as meeting with the white council. Her inclusion in the film makes sense. Legolas' does too as they travel to his fathers kingdom in mirkwood. I just wish it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Fishie wrote: »
    It looks like Gandalf and Galadriel are having a 'moment' in the trailer as she touches his hair :confused: Can anyone explain this, is it something that pops up in another book? I don't even remember Galadriel being in The Hobbit

Certainly nothing in the way of romance.
    But Galadriel & Gandalf have known each other for millenia, in middle earth & Valinor. Its fair to say they would care for each other and respect each others burdens and strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Love everything about these PJ films....the pace, the breathtaking landscapes, the music. My eldest will have just turned nine by next Dec so plan on introducing him to this world now. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I am feeling very optimistic about this. I just finished re-reading the book. My only problem is the colouring. It looks as if it has lost the earthy-feel that LOTR had. Oh well. Perhaps they'll change it a bit.

david75 wrote: »

They could, but it's too early to say.

As for me, I have every confidence that Mr. Jackson will strike an appropriate balance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Its not as dark as LOTR at all, some regard it as more a children's book. There will be stuff in this which wasn't in the book though which could be darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

david75 wrote: »

Well the thing is they are are pretty slapstick in the book too, early in the book at least - they are the source of much of the humour. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

But unlike most 2 and a half minute trailers... it didn't give away a barrage of plot details.

Dialogue was minimal enough..

It actually did, because the characters present kind of lead the way to one conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm very excited having seen the trailer. Back in 5th class our teacher read the story to us. I decided to re-read it a year ago and I found it just as exciting and I managed to piece together the story a bit better in my head. I'd forgotten a lot of what happened.

I don't think I can wait another year for it though, and the have to wait a further year for the second film.

I find it impossible to believe that ROTK was released 8 years ago. I distinctly remember going to the 3 o'clock showing with my friends. I had to rush my reading of the final book in the lead up to the film. I think I covered 400 pages in 4 weeks or so. I wish it would just hurry on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Its not as dark as LOTR at all, some regard it as more a children's book. There will be stuff in this which wasn't in the book though which could be darker.
    Some? Tolkien invented the story as an episodic bed-time story for his kids before writing it down. It is a children's story. You'd think Pixar would have taught people not to shy away from that label as if it were a bad thing.

Advertisement