Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Its not bad but it does look like something any talented photoshop operator could put together in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Also, I don't know if anyone saw the report, but: principal photography has wrapped. Now it's editing, pickups, FX etc.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Now the long wait for the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I love that poster.. very similar greens to the Fellowship poster (which I also loved).

December is too far away!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can't believe people are happy that Billy Connelly is on board. A truly awful actor who sticks out like a sore thumb in anything he has been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I love the build up now until Christmas, was so much fun when LOTR was coming out so relishing the excitement!!

The only thing I'm worried about is The Hobbit being a bit too kiddy compared to LOTR, I know the book is aimed at kids but I still think the material is heavyweight, not to the LOTR level but still! Some of the moments I dislike in LOTR are the comedy ones!

Tusky wrote: »
    Can't believe people are happy that Billy Connelly is on board. A truly awful actor who sticks out like a sore thumb in anything he has been in.
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I presume you haven't seen The Last Samurai or Mrs. Brown? Trust the Director to do his job.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

bnt wrote: »
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I presume you haven't seen The Last Samurai or Mrs. Brown? Trust the Director to do his job.

Yeah have to say Billy was great in them I think he's a talented guy!

I have seen The Last Sumurai and thought Connolly was the worst thing about it. He always looks like he's acting.

[edit] And if I remember he made a terrible attempt an Irish accent in that film too.

What part is he playing? Orlando Bloom isn't much of an actor either. But with the right direction the actors weakness can be lessened for the audience.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What part is he playing? Orlando Bloom isn't much of an actor either. But with the right direction the actors weakness can be lessened for the audience.

Agreed - but Bloom was an unknown. I just think it will be jarring seeing Billy Connolly in Middle Earth.

[edit] Seems I'm not alone in my concerns. Totally agree with this article, casting has me very worried: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/feb/09/hobbit-peter-jackson-billy-connolly

After reading that article, I'm more concerned about the likes of Stephen Fry and James Nesbitt than I am about Billy Connolly. Nesbitt has to be one of the least flexible actors I've ever seen e.g. in Spartacus on TV he plays a Roman noble straight outta Cumbernauld. At least Fry's part is small, as is Connolly's. I haven't seen most of those other actors, though I can see how someone who watches a lot of British TV - such as a Guardian critic - might be concerned. But I've seen what Connolly can do with the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nesbitt has to be one of the least flexible actors I've ever seen e.g. in Spartacus on TV he plays a Roman noble straight outta Cumbernauld.
    I think you might be thinking of someone else in Spartacus....? But agree, Nesbitt looks like the weakest actor in the cast - its a fairly small part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

After reading that article, I'm more concerned about the likes of Stephen Fry and James Nesbitt than I am about Billy Connolly. Nesbitt has to be one of the least flexible actors I've ever seen e.g. in Spartacus on TV he plays a Roman noble straight outta Cumbernauld.

I think you are mixing him up with this guy: John Hannah

He reminds of James Nesbitt as well for some reason.

Edit: Actually looking again their faces look pretty similar so that's the reason. :)

Anyone who doubts James Nesbitt needs to watch his performance in Jekyll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Basq wrote: »
    Anyone who doubts James Nesbitt needs to watch his performance in Jekyll

I thought I was the only person on the Planet who watched it. Cracking series! Nesbitt is genuinely unbelievable in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Basq wrote: »
    I love that poster.. very similar greens to the Fellowship poster (which I also loved).

December is too far away!! :(

Reminds me of the cover on my copy of The Lord of the Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Noice! From that poster, I'm guessing An Unexpected Journey will end with their escape down the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Bear?????

I seriously need to re read!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Bear?????

the bear was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Vokes wrote: »
    Noice! From that poster, I'm guessing An Unexpected Journey will end with their escape down the river.
    A good a place as any to end it. I'd rather than than leaving it on a cliffhanger when captured.
    Bear?????

The bear is Beorn, the shapeshifter. Not an essential character, but one that I imagine is popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jackson won't confirm or deny, but it seems they are considering splitting the second film in half and turning The Hobbit into a trilogy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jackson won't confirm or deny, but it seems they are considering splitting the second film in half and turning The Hobbit into a trilogy.

ah ffs......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My thoughts exactly.

We'll have to wait and see, maybe it won't happen. It's just rumour at this stage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My thoughts exactly.

We'll have to wait and see, maybe it won't happen. It's just rumour at this stage.

Here's hoping, it would reek of money grabbing if it were to happen. I'm still convinced the Hobbit would easily have been adapted into one movie in the first place, stretching it out to three would be a joke.

Here's tha actual quote:
    "We have certainly been talking to the studio about some of the material we can't film, and we've been asking them so we can do a bit more filming next year. Which, I don't know what would come of that, whether it'd be extended editions or whatnot. But those discussions are ongoing... I'd like to shoot a bunch more material that we [couldn't] shoot. There's so much good stuff in the appendices that we haven't been able to squeeze into these movies, so that's a discussion we're having, yeah."

Not so bad if it's just for extended additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I don't see any mention of a third movie or splitting the second half in that quote. Considering that budgeting is finalised and contracts are already written, I can't see how half way through filming they can just say, 'oh yeah, let's add a third movie'.

Random internet speculation based on hyperbole as far as I see.

GodlessM wrote: »
    I don't see any mention of a third movie or splitting the second half in that quote. Considering that budgeting is finalised and contracts are already written, I can't see how half way through filming they can just say, 'oh yeah, let's add a third movie'.

Random internet speculation based on hyperbole as far as I see.

a youtube comment taken seriously and spread all over the internet I'm guessing. From experience the first movie absolutley has to be locked down by this point if they're aiming for a december release date, and there is not enough in the second half to justify splitting it. To split them at his point is would be unheard of

It's wouldn't be unheard of. The decision to split Kill Bill in half was only made during post-production. Same with the Three Musketeers, although that resulted in a few lawsuits. Contracts can be renegotiated.

Given Jackson's tendency to over-shoot, I reckon they could easily make an extra film. They haven't started editing the second film yet, so there's plenty of time.

• Advertisement

It's wouldn't be unheard of. The decision to split Kill Bill in half was only made during post-production. Same with the Three Musketeers, although that resulted in a few lawsuits. Contracts can be renegotiated.

Given Jackson's tendency to over-shoot, I reckon they could easily make an extra film. They haven't started editing the second film yet, so there's plenty of time.

i agree that if anyone is going to do it, it'd be Jackson, but at this late a stage I don't see it happening. I believe any reworking of the second movie would have to include some reworking of the first movie, and it's too late for that, structurally and technically.

Advertisement