Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure LOTR had all three films filmed before the first one came out if I'm not mistaken but they still went back and filmed more stuff after the first and second films were released I think.
    Yes they re-shot a lot of the Helm's Deep stuff as they originally had Arwen leading the Elves there and Liv Tyler wasn't very well received after the release of The Fellowship (not really her fault though). I think you can see when Haldir is talking to Aragorn when he arrives and the Elves are marching in behind him that it is pretty obvious that there's some green screen shenanigans going on.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes they re-shot a lot of the Helm's Deep stuff as they originally had Arwen leading the Elves there and Liv Tyler wasn't very well received after the release of The Fellowship (not really her fault though). I think you can see when Haldir is talking to Aragorn when he arrives and the Elves are marching in behind him that it is pretty obvious that there's some green screen shenanigans going on.

Didn't know that, always assumed they shoe-horned Haldir in there just to have a semi recognisable character to kill off just to add gravitas!

I always had a problem with that actually, having the elves staughtered so easily in the second film made it harder to buy Legolas' borderline super-hero shenanigans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jackson does several weeks of pickups on all his films. It's penciled in as part of the schedule. Some of them are quite noticeable in LOTR due to the actors looking different (Sean Astin lost a lot of weight, while McKellen gained some) or their make-up not looking quite right. Gandalf the White has a ridiculously fuzzy-looking beard in the all pickups.

I actually wish Jackson had just stuck to his original plan regarding Arwen at Helms Deep and Sauron fighting Aragorn. He never really figured out what to do with either character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Jackson does several weeks of pickups on all his films. It's penciled in as part of the schedule. Some of them are quite noticeable in LOTR due to the actors looking different (Sean Astin lost a lot of weight, while McKellen gained some) or their make-up not looking quite right. Gandalf the White has a ridiculously fuzzy-looking beard in the all pickups.

I actually wish Jackson had just stuck to his original plan regarding Arwen at Helms Deep and Sauron fighting Aragorn. He never really figured out what to do with either character.
    This time we'll probably get Nuclear Galadriel to punch it out with Sauron.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He intended to have Aragorn duff it out with Sauron?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Yeah. There's some footage of them going at it on some 'making of LOTR' documentary, or maybe it was a special feature on a DVD.

You can see a very little bit of it in this fanmade video around the 1:10 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

If that Aragorn/Sauron bit were in the original film i would NOT have been happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Isn't that the mouth of Sauron rather than Sauron himself that appears in the extended edition of The Return of the King?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Isn't that the mouth of Sauron rather than Sauron himself that appears in the extended edition of The Return of the King?

The video above appears to be different as the mouth only talks before being decapitated, the video snausages posted does seem to show some sort of ethereal Sauron fighting Aragorn its obvious from the scenes though that they cgi'ed in the troll that we see in the extended edition as there shot for shot the same much better that way imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Official titles and release dates for each movie in the trilogy have been announced!

This article also says that the third movie will be released the same day as the "X-Men: First Class" sequel - "X-Men: Days of Future Past".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good to see only a 7 month gap between the release of the second and third movie.

Thats a pretty clunky title for the second one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, does it?

The article claims Smaug is motion captured by Cumberbatch. I can see how Gollum was mo-capped, but a dragon is slightly different :pac:

Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, does it?

The article claims Smaug is motion captured by Cumberbatch. I can see how Gollum was mo-capped, but a dragon is slightly different :pac:

Maybe they have him in one of these :P

1290749-46109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

So the second film is all about Smaug? That's a bit of a letdown, one of the main things I was looking forward to in the first movie was an encounter with Smaug at the end, but it doesn't look like that'll happen now except as a cliffhanger maybe

Gallery of new pic here: http://imgur.com/a/6Eo6z

includes the first pic of Radagast

JVDKQl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Looks top notch

Superb!

Read the book while on holiday, and loved it!

Richard Armitage looks like perfect pick for Thorin Oakenshield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It looks very green screenish, doesn't it? Not entirely convinced I have to say

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    It looks very green screenish, doesn't it? Not entirely convinced I have to say

No more so than LOTR did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

A lot more obvious in this though I think

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

I like the look of it. It seems to have the right balance between light and airy (The Shire) and dark and ominous (the journey). I'm concerned as to how you can stretch a 300 page novel to 3 two and a half hour movies, but I trust Peter Jackson.

Sarxos wrote: »
    I like the look of it. It seems to have the right balance between light and airy (The Shire) and dark and ominous (the journey). I'm concerned as to how you can stretch a 300 page novel to 3 two and a half hour movies, but I trust Peter Jackson.
    Runtime hasn't been confirmed AFAIK.. so I'd imagine they'll be closer to 90 - 100 minutes each.

Basq wrote: »
    Runtime hasn't been confirmed AFAIK.. so I'd imagine they'll be closer to 90 - 100 minutes each.

I'll be genuinely shocked if any of them are under 2 hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the films are under two hours, hence negating the need for three separate films (LOTR proving that bladder capacity have little effect on box office), I think people will be pissed off (continuing the unintentional urinary theme of this post) even more! Would be the height of greed to stretch to three when two would have sufficed. I still think there's going to be a lot of fluff here, and my cynicism hat is still on, but the complete running time damn well better run over seven hours to justify the trilogy.

Good trailer though. Suitably rousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sarxos wrote: »

(1) The book doesnt describe in great battles or Gandalfs quest. It tells you of them but doesnt really get into them whereas a movie can use upto 15-20mins screen time of fights and battle scenes.
    (2) The appendixes/appendices has numerous stories and paths it can thread in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I havent read the book (Or any of the LOTR books), so for me i really don't care how well they follow it.. i just hope the films are at least half as good as the LOTR's.

Trailer looks awesome... can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A 90-100 minute blockbuster is usually considered a bad sign as it suggests it was cut to the bone. There's been some half-decent exceptions to this rule, but normally to the surprise of everyone involved. Even if Jackson could get the film down to that length, the studio wouldn't want it so short unless they were in salvage-mode.

I'd say in or around 2 hours. 2.5 hours or more is very unlikely IMO. Showings-per-day is probably what motivated turning it into a trilogy. What I find striking about the new trailer is how relatively lighthearted it is. They wouldn't be selling it that way if it was going to be another 2.5+ hour epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

That trailer has gotten me quite excited about this. I do like the look of Radagast. I am more looking forward to how Jackson tells the story of the White Council and the necromancer stuff than the main story.

Advertisement