Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Interesting, where'd you hear that from?

probably not the most reliable source, his cousin! :pac:

supposedly he madly impressed at auditions and was signed up straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm all for Freeman and Tennant... but I do think James Nesbitt is one of the most over-rated actors working today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

hobbitfakeposter.jpg

:D

Does sort of look the part alright.

hobbitfakeposter.jpg

:D

Does sort of look the part alright.
    It's just gonna be 3 hours of Tim... I mean Martin.. disapproving glances to camera..

• Advertisement

There are rumours going round in New Zeland now that the production of The Hobbit (with a $500 million budget) is moving to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I feel sorry for the NZ film industry if that happens but it would be some unbelievable boost to the film and tourism industry here if we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well they better shoot a hell of a lot of background footage in NZ before they come here. It won't look too good having Bilbo wandering through ghost estates.

Peter Jackson has confirmed that Warners are flying down to New Zealand next week to make arrangements to move production to another country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are rumours going round in New Zealand now that the production of The Hobbit (with a $500 million budget) is moving to Ireland.
    I read that here: it has to do with unions. :mad: I disagree with Ireland as a location, though: I think it would be better to shoot in South Africa. Specifically, in the Drakensberg, the original "dragon mountains" of which Tolkien was surely aware, since he was born not far away. I've been there, they're incredibly rugged and beautiful and would make a great setting IMHO.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I read that here: it has to do with unions. :mad:

The Union has just now removed the boycott but it might already be too late for New Zealand because countries like Ireland have jumped in to offer Warners special one off incentives to get The Hobbit in their country. Warners will have a tough time turning down those offers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've read eastern Europe as a possible location. Somewhere like Hungary would probably make a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I just do not think that ireland has the mountains, to do this.
    We have hills not mountain ranges

Looks like Ireland may be off the list.

The latest is that Warner Bros are considering moving it to the UK to make use of their own studios where they shot Harry Potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I just do not think that ireland has the mountains, to do this.
    We have hills not mountain ranges

They could do what they did for Braveheart. As far as I remember they shot all the footage of the high mountain ranges in scotland and the rest in Ireland.

Personally I hope for the films sake that it remains in New Zealand but as said previous it would be some shot in the arm for Irelands economy and that wouldnt be a bad thing at all.

Another rumor going around now that Warner Bros are considering shooting in UK & Ireland making use of their big soundstages in the UK and the Irish countryside.

Looks like nothing will be decided till some big meetings next week between WB and the New Zealand government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Freeman confirmed as Bilbo.
    Peter Jackson has, at long last, made an official announcement about who will appear in The Hobbit. He has confirmed Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, taking over the role originated by Ian Holm in The Lord of the Rings. A great many other names were released as well, almost all of whom make up the large company of Dwarves that hires Bilbo to be their ‘burgler’ before setting out to kill the dragon Smaug and recover the dwarven treasure the dragon uses as a bed.

Complementing Mr. Freeman are:

Richard Armitage (MI-5, Captain America) as Thorin Oakenshield, leader of the Dwarves, whose grandfather ruled the Lonely Mountain settlement destroyed by Smaug.
    Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders) as Kili and Fili, nephews of Thorin.
    Graham McTavish (Secretariat) as Dwalin, blue-bearded, first to arrive at the home of Bilbo Baggins.
    John Callen as Oin, skillful fire-maker. Brother of Gloin.
    Stephen Hunter (All Saints) as Bombur, the fat, sleepy and slow member of Thorin’s company.
    Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori, strongest of the Dwarves, who carries Bilbo on his back at one point.
    Peter Hambleton (The Strip) as Gloin, brother of Oin, initially suspicious of Bilbo’s worth, but eventually convinced. Father of Gimli from The Lord of the Rings.

More info to come in the coming hours. That’s only eight Dwarves, so we need five more names to make up the film’s company of thirteen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Kind of hated Martin Freeman till Sherlock where I thought he did a very good job.

I dunno, I think he seems about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

How is he stretching two movies out of this? I read the book in about an hour.

• Advertisement

RTE wrote:
    The cast also includes Irish actor Aidan Turner as well as former Eastenders' star Rob Kazinsky who will play Kili and Fili.

there we have it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Personally, I think they've made the best possible decision in terms of casting Bilbo Baggins. Freeman was my own first choice when I heard they were making the Hobbit. He's got the frame, and looks like a Hobbit. Apart from looking like a Fisher Price man.*

*bonus points for spotting the reference.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Personally, I think they've made the best possible decision in terms of casting Bilbo Baggins. Freeman was my own first choice when I heard they were making the Hobbit. He's got the frame, and looks like a Hobbit. Apart from looking like a Fisher Price man.*

*bonus points for spotting the reference.

i watched that episode of the office lastnight haha :D

Couldn't have had a better choice for Bilbo to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Another rumor going around now that Warner Bros are considering shooting in UK & Ireland making use of their big soundstages in the UK and the Irish countryside.

Looks like nothing will be decided till some big meetings next week between WB and the New Zealand government.

Would not easily believe that, considering that GB has the lake district. Great ciuntryside and lakes for Dale. Also has the pennines and moors. They have some fantastic old wood forrests also.

TBH, GB would be a much easier place to shoot the film

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Is that Aidan Turner from The Clinic?

Is that Aidan Turner from The Clinic?[/QUOTE

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

its a film they can make because 100% of the finalised detail of this middle period is actually in the appendicies of LOTR, therefore it can be made.

Someone over at onering.net had outlined the story last year, it basically runs

Forming of the white council, & Deagol finding the ring, a dark power growing in Mirkwood(Sauron) Gandalf sneaking into Dol Goldur in Mirkwood& finding out it is Sauron there after all, Saruman's turn to the 'dark side', A young Aragorn being made aware of his heritage &lineage & going into the wild, and Gandalf, Galadriel and the elves driving Sauron from Dol Goldur. (big battle finalé kinda thing)

theres your movie. For purists its gonna be rape though, cos their gonna cut and paste&compress from the 100 years or so concerned. (like in FotR, Gandalf leaving Frodo& coming back in what seems a few short months, but in fact is years).

Delighted it's going ahead but really hope they can sort out the union hassle. It'll come to the UK&Ireland or possibly Czech republic if they can't iron it out.

Advertisement