Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Many of the dwarfs were pretty slapstick in the book too iirc, don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'm still not thrilled with the idea of a trilogy, (hell, considering how short The Hobbit is in comparison to some other books that have been adapted, I was confused how they were going to get two films out of it) BUT, I do have every faith in Jackson making it work. He did a phenomenal job with LotR, so I wouldn't expect anything less than an outstanding three films.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

I saw the trailer in the cinema last night and was very disappointed, I've read the book countless times, as has my girlfriend, and teh two of us were horrified at the attempt at putting in a lot of slapstick comedy. I was already annoyed enough at teh fact that the managed to make a 300 odd page book into 3 movies. I have an awful feeling teh fims are going to be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

WHAT?! They're making this into a 3 part movie?!? I know what to do, I'll go into the Hobbit thread on boards.ie and bring it up there, where it has already been attacked and defended on a near daily basis for the last 2 months. Or I'll read the last few pages and get an idea of why they're doing it and where the additional plot content will come from!

Nah.... Definitely the first option..

Also, on a somewhat related note:

548430_4619463089793_967272508_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I actually loved the LOTR posters, especially for the first movie!

I couldn't stop looking at this one before the first movie came out, still think it's wonderful:D

Lord-of-the-Rings-1-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-movie-poster-1020476892.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ that was one of the better ones. The teaser posters were generally pretty decent. But the floating head posters for the second and third film were terrible. The Two Towers poster had a huge full moon in it for no particular reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Another poster and you can enlarge to see everyone well up close - I think it's a little odd that Thorin and Kili look like normal men compared to the others, hopefully won't look as jarring on screen...

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Hobbit-cast_download1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Benedict Cumberbatch has revealed
    here that Smaug's eyes will apparently open at the end of the first movie, and we'll see the full dragon in the second of the trilogy.

Well thanks for ruining that for me!

All part of the service! ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Three films .... wow, well mad!

Still looking forward to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and then you quoted it, ruining it for everyone, well done.

krudler wrote: »
    and then you quoted it, ruining it for everyone, well done.

Unspoilered when i quoted it. I step away from all blame.

I'll accept responsibility and apologise for the lack of tags in the initial post. Human error!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it's society's fault :p

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it's society's fault :p

Hear hear! :D:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So so the marketing department clearly haven't seen the film yet. Or pj really has dropped the ball when it comes to the Dwarves. [IMG][/img]C26F0AF4-9061-462C-AACD-71C1C2BE6BB6-208-000000022A8870CF.jpg

Been confirmed that there will be extended cut of the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey released at the end of 2013. Warner Bros. announced it in a 90th anniversary press packed that was released today. It's believed that there will be extended cuts of all three films which means that Jackson must have an awful lot of footage shot or else he's planning on shooting additional scenes specifically for the extended cut.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll be genuinely shocked if any of them are under 2 hours.

Called it :pac:

Running time announced as 2hrs 40 minutes.

I would expect the sequels to get progressively longer much the same way LOTR did.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ooohh. Lighthouse cinema are having a lord of the rings marathon before the hobbit comes out!!
    www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1796

They're also putting hobbit tickets on sale next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Recognise this place?
    photo.jpg

It's been built up since my last visit, what with new tenants moving in and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I actually loved the LOTR posters, especially for the first movie!

I couldn't stop looking at this one before the first movie came out, still think it's wonderful:D

Lord-of-the-Rings-1-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-movie-poster-1020476892.jpg

Actual location where this was filmed:

New+Zealand%2C+South+Island+455.JPG

Anyone know of any cinemas showing advanced screenings in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

My favourite Dwarf...probably because he doesnt look like a Dwarf:rolleyes:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm278505728/tt0903624

I heard a rumour about a potential Elf love story in the second film is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Jesus, New Zealand looks incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

stoneill wrote: »
    Recognise this place?
    photo.jpg

It's been built up since my last visit, what with new tenants moving in and all that.

Another Nama owned golf course?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Cineworld are showing the hobbit from thursday 13th. Not sure if other cinemas have changed their scheduled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Big album of Hobbit photos I saw on Reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/fHnbj#7

This guy looks like a serious badass:
    Ef0on.jpg

Any ideas who it is?

Edit: On a hunch I googled "Conan Stevens the hobbit" and it would appear that this is Bolg. As far as I remember he's the
    son of the Orc who killed Thorin's dad in Moria, or something to that effect.
    Anyone who isn't familiar, Stevens played Gregor Clegane in the HBO adaptation of A Game of Thrones.
    He's essentially a 7ft tall body builder who moonlights as an actor. He did quite well as a giant muscly nutcase in AGOT and certainly looks the part in that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

After seeing that I actually can't wait!!!:D

Advertisement