Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have my ticket booked for a late night showing on Friday the 14th. Got a free ticket so I'm trying it in 48fps 3D. If it feels a little weird I'll have no problem going to see it again in regular.

Excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Have my ticket booked for a late night showing on Friday the 14th. Got a free ticket so I'm trying it in 48fps 3D. If it feels a little weird I'll have no problem going to see it again in regular.

Excited now!

Where-abouts, Cineworld? And does it actually say 48fps?
    I have zero interest in seeing The Hobbit but I am interested in the whole 48fps thing. When will cinemas be capable of showing films in this frame rate? And are there many other films due out in future that will be in 48fps?

I know that James Cameron, Ridley Scott and Michael Bay are big supporters of films in 48fps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Where-abouts, Cineworld? And does it actually say 48fps?

In a theatre here in Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Going to see this in the BFI imax in london as i happen to be there the day after it comes out.

Just curious, was this film optimised for imax or will I be getting a half baked jobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Calleja

Anyone know if the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel teasers will be screened before The Hobbit in Irish cinemas or is it just a North America thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Calleja wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel teasers will be screened before The Hobbit in Irish cinemas or is it just a North America thing?

Seems to be rather hit and miss over here. I know in the past there were shows where something was meant to be shown beforehand (particular trailers or whatever) and weren't either due to not having them or the cinema not being notified of the arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

EYE Cinema Galway are now selling tickets for The Hobbit in 48fps High frame rate 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    EYE Cinema Galway are now selling tickets for The Hobbit in 48fps High frame rate 3D

if nowhere in Limerick shows it that way I'll take a spin up and check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

krudler wrote: »

if nowhere in Limerick shows it that way I'll take a spin up and check it out

The Limerick Omniplex will have the 48fps 3D version

http://www.omniplex.ie/exclusive/post/the-hobbit-and-high-frame-rate-hfr-explained

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks like Vue will have it in 3D 48fps as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A conundrum... to break my passionate anti-3D vow just to mock Peter Jackson for single-handedly killing the cinematic aesthetic (slight hyperbole there, but only slight)? Decisions, decisions!

A conundrum... to break my passionate anti-3D vow just to mock Peter Jackson for single-handedly killing the cinematic aesthetic (slight hyperbole there, but only slight)? Decisions, decisions!

Mehhh, I'll go see it just to see what 48fps looks like out of interest but I hope it doesnt take off, 24fps looks fine, always has, "soap opera" was how some people who saw the early footage described, and sorry but I dont go to the cinema to see tv quality movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Given your hard stance on 3D I think you really have to not financially support 3D, and go see this in 2D. OR...go see it in 3D and let everyone mock you for it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think this is going to be utterly incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's a shame there isn't going to be any 2D HFR screenings. But I can't pass up seeing what 48fps is like. It could be the biggest change in film production since the advent of sound and colour, or it could be another fad like 3D. Either way I'll be breaking my 3D vow to find out. However, after having my first viewing of Prometheus ruined by 3D, I might go to see the film in 2D first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, a 2D 48 screening would be nice. I particularly don't want to support Cineworld and their cheeky faux-max which is basically just an excuse to add a few euro to ticket prices.

Fundamentally, I think 48 FPS will be a relatively pointless addition to most forms of cinema - that it can be downgraded with little bother is telling, much like with 2D (someday we may get a technological revolution that will fundamentally alter the way we think about cinema, but it probably ain't going to happen anytime soon). Likely also going to emphasise all those uglier elements of digital cinematography, warts and all. I am undeniably curious, but like with the film itself (genuinely going to be amazed if this saga doesn't feel two or three hours too long) I remain cynical until proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Looking forward to seeing it in 48 fps. Im not convinced that Jackson requires an old throw back to 1920s technology in order to produce a great piece of work. Surely he can utilize a plethora of tricks and combine them with a fluid sharp camera motion to end up with a great looking print thats in-keeping with the universe created by the first trilogy.

24fps has just been the industry standard since day 1, primarily for budgetary reasons. If the tech is there to create a more lifelike film (which should have the required effect of immersing the viewer) then its time to move to that. Why do we all have HD TV's in our house, why do we crave 1080p everything? Why not just keep the old bog standard def BnW portable! :D

Purists (in every facet of life) are invested in an idea or way of doing things, and cry foul when the time comes to change to something else.

Film isn't real life or realistic though, and Middle Earth particularly isn't. The fear is - and one that's backed-up by early reports - that the artificiality is only enhanced by 48 FPS. The contrast between CGI and the 'real' content may well be more obvious than it usually is (I know I often dislike watching effects heavy blockbusters on Blu-Ray for this reason), which if anything is the opposite effect Jackson et al are aiming for. The standards set several decades ago - framerate, film grain etc... - allow us to buy into the illusion of cinema, and there's always the "if it ain't broke..." argument.

Who knows, it's kind of an unknown factor at this point until we get to see it, but I personally cannot imagine it is the aesthetic revolution its being hyped up to be. Curious to find out myself, shame the 3D factor means this may not be the film I discover it with. Higher frame rates will undoubtedly have their place - whether it's to capture slow motion or wildlife documentaries (as mentioned above). Will it stick around in multiplexes? Who knows. Although I'll fully admit I suspect that Hollywood will be pushing its implementation as a money-making racket rather than an artistic revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Johnny, you know you're going to pay to see 3D/48fps! As the Oracle said to Neo, "You've already made the choice, now you have to understand it" :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Won't be seeing it in 3d. Want to take it in without any dumb distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Calleja

All this 48 fps talk has got me curious! The cinema in swords says it has '9 fully digital screens,' does that count?

Calleja wrote: »
    All this 48 fps talk has got me curious! The cinema in swords says it has '9 fully digital screens,' does that count?

No. Even if those screens are capable of projecting 48fps, there's only so many 48fps digital prints going around. The studio is nervous about the film bombing due to the "stage play/soap opera" effect of 48fps, so all these 48fps screenings are in addition to 2D and regular 3D showings.

A 48fps screening will probably say The Hobbit 3D HFR.

No, that was years ago. Most of the building used to be dedicated to a 50 foot 70mm IMAX cinema. UGC/Cineworld converted it to a multiplex when they bought it. What's going in now is just a regular size Digital IMAX screen.

No, that was years ago. Most of the building used to be dedicated to a 50 foot 70mm IMAX cinema. UGC/Cineworld converted it to a multiplex when they bought it. What's going in now is just a regular size Digital IMAX screen.

Its a pity now when IMAX is more popular than ever and some huge films are being shown in the format we no longer have a single proper screen in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

IMAX over 3D any feckin' day.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    IMAX over 3D any feckin' day.

This, I've only seen one IMAX film and it was a nature documentary a few years ago in the States, I'd love to see a proper film in the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

First press screening was last night in Wellington. Reviews are embargoed until next week.

Only reaction I've seen is from one guy that said the 48fps looked spectacular but made it look more modern compared to the LOTR films. Praise for Thorin and Gollum too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

World Premiere is in Wellington tomorrow night too..

Advertisement