Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The premiere was on in Wellington!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1128/breaking16.html
    Tens of thousands of people packed New Zealand's capital city, clambering on roofs and hanging onto lamp posts today to get a glimpse of the stars at the red carpet world premiere of the film The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey.

Wellington, where director Peter Jackson and much of the post production is based, renamed itself "the Middle of Middle Earth", and fans with prominent Hobbit ears, medieval style costumes, and wizard hats had camped out the night before to claim prized spaces along the 500 metre red carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

TobyRyan wrote: »

She's an elf in Mirkwood in film 2. We can't tell yet if it's a harmless makey-uppey role like Lurtz the Uruk in The Fellowship, or if they are going for a full-on Warrior Elf Romantic Interest for Main Character role.

She's an elf in Mirkwood in film 2. We can't tell yet if it's a harmless makey-uppey role like Lurtz the Uruk in The Fellowship, or if they are going for a full-on Warrior Elf Romantic Interest for Main Character role.

I heard rumors of the latter, had no idea she was involved in the production:confused: Is Legolas being roped back into it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Her character is Turiel, she's one if the mirkwood elves. Not specifically named in the book. But not many elves are. So they needed to flesh out the some elf characters for the battle if 5 armies, and probably the white council section too, which was not covered in the book

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Her character is Turiel, she's one if the mirkwood elves. Not specifically named in the book. But not many elves are. So they needed to flesh out the some elf characters for the battle if 5 armies, and probably the white council section too, which was not covered in the book

Sounds good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

She looks awful compared to when she was in Lost. I know it's been a few years, but she looks like she has aged a lot with that hair. Pity, I always thought she was a ride :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I heard rumors of the latter, had no idea she was involved in the production:confused: Is Legolas being roped back into it as well?

Although not named, Legolas would probably have been floating around. It is his gaf after all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Who would she be a romantic interest for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Will reviews be coming out for the hobbit now that they've done the premier or... ?

Not sure how the whole film industry works with that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Magill wrote: »
    Will reviews be coming out for the hobbit now that they've done the premier or... ?

I think reviews are embargoed until next week or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Embargoed until Dec 3rd I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Will there be any midnight showings?

Just wondering as I would prefer to see it at midnight :D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Who would she be a romantic interest for?

My Big Book of Hollywood Clichés suggests a good-looking male character who dies at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I see her as being a cheaper version of Liv Tyler for a XenArwen warrior princess type that PJ has wedged into the story. Unlike the Lurtz character from TFOTR this character Turiel is being played by a fairly well known actress and as such I imagine much like Liv Tyler's Arwen she'll have to have something to do and have a fair bit of dialogue. Also like Tyler's Arwen I expect most of this action and dialogue to be complete dreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Magill wrote: »

Reviews are embargoed until Dec 3rd (US press hasn't seen it yet).

Twitter reactions from people who were at the premiere has been very positive though.

Bryan Singer ‏@BryanSinger

Just saw #Hobbit. Having some serious frame rate envy. Amazing and involving. Loved it! And @ianmckellen118, my friend, you are brilliant!
    Jonny Mole ‏@jonnymolenz

Wow, Hobbit was incredible - an epic!
    Kylie Klein ‏@KokoKabana

The #Hobbit is everything I could have hoped for. Perfection. TWO MORE FILMS PLEASE. #3SR
    Kylie Klein ‏@KokoKabana

Standing ovation for Peter and Fran. #hobbit http://instagr.am/p/SkB96EuXgB/
    Bang-It BananaDawg™ ‏@wolf_monkey

So yeah- The Hobbit was pretty intense! :O
    Steven Joyce ‏@stevenljoyce

Really enjoyed #Hobbit Unexpected Journey world premiere. Masterful movie. Congrats Sir Peter Jackson et al. Privilege 2 be there #HobbitNZ
    Peter Dunne ‏@PeterDunneMP

@Fish_NZH yes, bold and dramatic, and did not seem like three hours
    Cory Knights ‏@Ruptunex

****ing hell, The Hobbit looks stunning on the screen at Embassy and sounds even better
    Seeby Woodhouse ‏@seeby

Peter Jackson is a f**ing legend. The hobbit was awesome. Go see it people. Support NZ like Pete does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Twitter reactions from people who were at the premiere has been very positive though.

Great stuff... Really want it to be up the standard the lotr set. Can't wait.........

Courtesy of NeoGaf :P

Courtesy of NeoGaf :P

;)

Really lookin forward to it now. Only a couple more weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As always with early screenings, its likely a lot of the people at the premiere would have been 'friends of the production' so definitely wouldn't take anything they say as gospel. Still, looking forward to the embargo removal - I want my faith restored that three films wasn't storytelling suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

As always with early screenings, its likely a lot of the people at the premiere would have been 'friends of the production' so definitely wouldn't take anything they say as gospel. Still, looking forward to the embargo removal - I want my faith restored that three films wasn't storytelling suicide.

Yup, World Premiere attendees are like festival audiences, can't really be trusted.
    The Guardian's list of reactions includes a lone voice daring to suggest that the first half is slow - disappointing, but not surprising. Presumably they're going to pad the sh*t out of these to make three full films:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/nov/28/the-hobbit-premiere-twitter-reviews?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9383

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

neilloc wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, cos that is a beautiful shot, and I'm sure some of the river sequence was shot there, but that's not the location of the Argonath! I was only there in August, and I've attached a photo of it.

The shot is from the imagined perspective of the Argonath, looking down at the boats coming towards you. Which is why I'm pretending to be one of the Argonath (Yup, I'm that cool). Crazy that there's a major road running right along the top of the cliff, just out of shot in the movie!

Also, I've included a couple of photos of what Hobbiton looks like now. They've left it literally 100% as it is in the movies, which is just magical. Everyone should go...

It's the same place - see the little turn off on the road below you onto a dirt track?- that's where my pic was taken from

My Big Book of Hollywood Clichés suggests a good-looking male character who dies at the end.

Surely not....
    He's a bloody dwarf!!!
    :(

So, 6 days ago :
    Cineworld Cinemas ‏@cineworld

IMAX have secured HFR Hobbit prints for Dublin, Nottingham & Sheffield IMAX sites. No info on which shows they'll be at this time

Today :
    Cineworld Cinemas ‏@cineworld

@jamesking420 We will be showing The Hobbit in HFR, sites still TBC. We'll make an announcement on here shortly.

So even though you can book tickets now for IMAX 3D screenings, you don't know if you are booking tickets for the 48fps version or not. Ugh.

Problem with the IMAX showing is that it's a digitally remastered version of the movie for IMAX, the movie was not filmed with IMAX cameras. Therefore I'm unsure whether to see it in HFR at another cinema or go for the Cineworld offering...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cineworld 'IMAX' (ahem) is digital IMAX, so it wouldn't really make a difference.

Cineworld 'IMAX' (ahem) is digital IMAX, so it wouldn't really make a difference.

Ah yes, that may be so. But the question remains, to see it as PJ intended it to be seen, HFR 3D, or IMAX HFR 3D. Suppose I'll just have to wait for impressions :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So, 6 days ago :

Today :

So even though you can book tickets now for IMAX 3D screenings, you don't know if you are booking tickets for the 48fps version or not. Ugh.

I presume all IMAX showings will be HFR. It makes no sense to randomly throw in 24fps screenings.

Where can you book IMAX screenings btw? I can't find anything on the Cineworld site.

Ah yes, that may be so. But the question remains, to see it as PJ intended it to be seen, HFR 3D, or IMAX HFR 3D. Suppose I'll just have to wait for impressions :/

The main reason I want to see if it Cineworld is that the seating looks horrible in Odeon Point Village. Don't want to be looking around heads in front of me to see the bottom 1/4 of the screen! Never been there but I've heard poor things about the viewing angle. Are those premium seats at the back worth it?

Odeon ISENSE:
    170_odeon_site_2.jpg

• Advertisement

I presume all IMAX showings will be HFR. It makes no sense to randomly throw in 24fps screenings.

Where can you book IMAX screenings btw? I can't find anything on the Cineworld site.

When you go to book tickets at the sidebar there's on option to filter by 2D, 3D, IMAX etc...

15 euro for evening tickets though - ouch.

Advertisement