Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When you go to book tickets at the sidebar there's on option to filter by 2D, 3D, IMAX etc...

15 euro for evening tickets though - ouch.

Ah thanks, I see it now.

Confusing website.
    Ah yes, that may be so. But the question remains, to see it as PJ intended it to be seen, HFR 3D, or IMAX HFR 3D. Suppose I'll just have to wait for impressions :/
    If you are going to see it in 3D, see it in IMAX 3D. The 2x2k projectors should yield a much brightener image than in regular 3D screenings.

Overall the presentation of Digital IMAX should be really good and well worth checking out. Whether it's worth the significant premium is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The main reason I want to see if it Cineworld is that the seating looks horrible in Odeon Point Village. Don't want to be looking around heads in front of me to see the bottom 1/4 of the screen! Never been there but I've heard poor things about the viewing angle. Are those premium seats at the back worth it?

Odeon ISENSE:
    170_odeon_site_2.jpg

Doesn't look promising anyway. As far as I know the cinema in Blachardstown will be showing 3D HFR, so that's another option!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I presume all IMAX showings will be HFR. It makes no sense to randomly throw in 24fps screenings.

Where can you book IMAX screenings btw? I can't find anything on the Cineworld site.

Yeah I assumed that all the IMAX 3D screenings would be HFR, but people have been asking them on twitter and they can't confirm which screenings will be, and now they can't even confirm which sites will have HFR after previously saying Dublin would get it.

Yeah the navigation on the site is poor, you have to refine the date to "further date" and tick the IMAX screening type to get booking options for The Hobbit.

http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/5758?cinema=75#cinema=75&date=advanced&f=ix

Doesn't look promising anyway. As far as I know the cinema in Blachardstown will be showing 3D HFR, so that's another option!

Yeah I just checked the Odeon site there. Blachardstown and also Limerick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I assumed that all the IMAX 3D screenings would be HFR, but people have been asking them on twitter and they can't confirm which screenings will be, and now they can't even confirm which sites will have HFR after previously saying Dublin would get it.
    I'd say it's the regular 3D HFR screenings that they can't confirm yet. It makes no sense for them be swapping back and forth between 24fps and 48fps in their only IMAX screen. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't offer any Real 3D HFR screenings in order to encourage everyone to see the film in IMAX.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's the regular 3D HFR screenings that they can't confirm yet. It makes no sense for them be swapping back and forth between 24fps and 48fps in their only IMAX screen. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't offer any Real 3D HFR screenings in order to encourage everyone to see the film in IMAX.

Yeah you're probably right. I booked the seats there now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Right, tickets booked!

Thursday night in Swan 3D and then Friday midday in Cineworld IMAX 3D.

Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Has a 48fps screening been confirmed for IMAX?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Has a 48fps screening been confirmed for IMAX?

Yes, by IMAX themselves. It seems Cineworld only found out by reading the IMAX website.

I never knew that IMAX 3D used 2 projectors. That extra brightness plus the higher frame rate should help make the 3D look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My Big Book of Hollywood Clichés suggests a good-looking male character who dies at the end.

I presume all IMAX showings will be HFR. It makes no sense to randomly throw in 24fps screenings.
    Nope. Not them all. :(

Here's my local IMAX's press release
    [QUOTE=IMAX Sydney[/URL]
    THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY IN IMAX 3D

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be screened at IMAX in Darling Harbour in 3D with an IMAX GT projector running at 24fps on the world's biggest screen.[/QUOTE]

The list of international IMAX's showing it is actually quite small. I counted 21 on it. The fact that Dublin is going to be showing it is pretty surprising. I was hoping to finally get to the Sydney Imax for this, but I might have to skip it to try out HFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mellor wrote: »
    Nope. Not them all. :(

I think what the Professor means is that if a cinema screens any IMAX 3D shows at 48 FPS, they will show all IMAX 3D shows at 48 FPS.

It doesn't make sense for a cinema to show some at 24 and others at 48 on the same screen.

Yeah, I was referring specifically to Cineworld Dublin. If the IMAX theatre is equipped for HFR, as the new Dublin screen will be, then I assume all screenings there would be in the same frame rate. I'd imagine in the event that there are non-HFR IMAX screenings in Cineworld they will probably be in 2D.

Ah right my bad. I only found out about IMAX not having HFR and I was a but annoyed. Obvious looking for a post to cent.
    I didn't really care about 48fps at first but id decided to try it out at the IMAX and then was told its not there.
    Don't care now though. Found out the Vmax screens (massive 4K digital screens) will be HFR, so that probably better as it was shot digitally.

Yeah, I was referring specifically to Cineworld Dublin. If the IMAX theatre is equipped for HFR, as the new Dublin screen will be, then I assume all screenings there would be in the same frame rate.

I think you're right. I was looking at the IMAX HFR list on the IMAX website and checked Odeon IMAX Manchester. They are showing HFR IMAX 3D there but not IMAX 3D. Looked at a couple of places in the states too and it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Damn, looks like the BFI isnt showing it in HFR IMAX. /firstworldproblems

Empire Leicester Square would be a good option. HFR + Dolby Atmos.

Yeah but probably because they are showing it in 70mm instead, which is way better! HFR is only available with digital projection and afaik the BFI prefers to shows films in proper IMAX format when possible.

Empire Leicester Square would be a good option. HFR + Dolby Atmos.

Already booked the BFI. Still should be great if its in 70mm as Sad Professor says.

Might then check it out in HFR when I get back here.

Yeah but probably because they are showing it in 70mm instead, which is way better! HFR is only available with digital projection and afaik the BFI prefers to shows films in proper IMAX format when possible.

They have an IMAX digital projector side by side with their 70mm one there now. They are showing it in IMAX 3D so that would be using the digital projector anyway?

1j0Nkh.jpg

Actually, just saw this on their facebook page from a question someone asked about HFR.
    We're still waiting to confirm which version we'll screen. Stay tuned for updates!

Fuzzy might be in luck yet! :P

• Advertisement

They have an IMAX digital projector side by side with their 70mm one there now. They are showing it in IMAX 3D so that would be using the digital projector anyway?
    Yeah, I know they have a digital projector as well. However, they generally show 70mm if they can. 3D isn't digital only. IMAX make 70mm 3D prints as well. Not sure what they are like though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm wonder how the EPIC picture quality would hold up on 70mm. If its from the 5K master it would indeed be purty. You dont see a digital original being converted to high-quality film everyday. Probs one of the first times thats even been viable.

Yeah, I know they have a digital projector as well. However, they generally show 70mm if they can. 3D isn't digital only. IMAX make 70mm 3D prints as well. Not sure what they are like though.

I know yeah but the IMAX website says
    The IMAX release will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

Haven't heard any mention of it getting a 70mm 3D release.

It's possible there isn't. But IMAX don't differentiate between 70mm IMAX and digital IMAX anyway, so they probably aren't going to give those kind of details on their website. The IMAX DMR process is also used to describe how they convert 35mm film to 70mm - the remastering involves reducing grain, etc before converting it back to film. They supposedly use the same DMR process for Digital IMAX, even though there shouldn't be any re-mastering necessary for a film shot or provided to them on digital.

It's all marketing.

It's possible there isn't. But IMAX don't differentiate between 70mm IMAX and digital IMAX anyway, so they probably aren't going to give those kind of details on their website. The IMAX DMR process is also used to describe how they convert 35mm film to 70mm - the remastering involves reducing grain, etc before converting it back to film. They supposedly use the same DMR process for Digital IMAX, even though there shouldn't be any re-mastering necessary for a film shot or provided to them on digital.

It's all marketing.

I guess the DMR also includes the audio mixing though which needs to be done for IMAX releases sine they have a different sound setup to other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Who would she be a romantic interest for?

I wonder, a King of Mirkwood's son maybe i.e. Prince? But then that would be Legolas...
    http://collider.com/orlando-bloom-the-hobbit-interview/118777/:D:D:D:D

Hurrah !

I.Physically.Can't.Wait.

I guess the DMR also includes the audio mixing though which needs to be done for IMAX releases sine they have a different sound setup to other cinemas.

Probably, though I think it mostly just involves them doing their own (proprietary) master of the film. Applying noise reduction, etc. Roger Deakins apparently wasn't too impressed with the IMAX DMR of Skyfall and did his own transfer.

It was also rumoured that the Blu-ray transfer of TDK was taken from the IMAX DMR master. All the 35mm scenes suffer from excessive over-sharpening and removal of grain. I'm not sure if this is actually true or not. Strange if so after the big deal Nolan made about doing everything photochemically that he would then let IMAX start screwing around with the film digitally.

DMR means something completely different to me now due to too much Halo 4 :p

There is a form here to enter a draw for a family pass to the Irish premiere on Dec 9th if anyone is interested.

http://www.98fm.com/2012/category-win/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-irish-premiere/

• Advertisement

I know yeah but the IMAX website says

Haven't heard any mention of it getting a 70mm 3D release.

The Sydney IMAX I posted above is 70mm 3D.

Advertisement