Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sorry if this has already being asked, but how many cinema's over here are likely able to play the 48fps frame rate.

Can most digital 3D projectors over here play this frame rate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry if this has already being asked, but how many cinema's over here are likely able to play the 48fps frame rate.

Based on this thread so far it seems like quite a few Irish cinemas have been able to upgrade their equipment for HFR without too much fuss. Vue, Odeon Point Village, Limerick Omniplex, EYE Cinema Galway, among others will be showing it in 48fps. I'd say there's plenty more capable of showing it as well, but Warners are being cautious after the negative reaction at CinemaCon, so not many HFR prints of the film are going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Most (maybe all?) digital projectors can do it. It just requires a software upgrade.

Warner Brothers are only doing a fairly limited release (about 1,000 runs worldwide out of about 25,000 will be HFR).

Odeon are doing it in:
    Blanchardstown
    Limerick
    Point Village
    Waterford

Omniplex:
    Drogheda
    Limerick

Cineworld in Dublin.

Other places, I don't know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VKenneally

no 3D 48ffs in Cork ? :(

VKenneally wrote: »

Doesn't look like it. 'ffs' indeed. :P

You mightn't have liked it anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

Most (maybe all?) digital projectors can do it. It just requires a software upgrade.

Warner Brothers are only doing a fairly limited release (about 1,000 runs worldwide out of about 25,000 will be HFR).

Odeon are doing it in:
    Blanchardstown
    Limerick
    Point Village
    Waterford

Omniplex:
    Drogheda
    Limerick

Cineworld in Dublin.

Other places, I don't know of.
    Not true at all I'm afraid. Sony projectors can do this with just a software upgrade alright but all others need a hardware upgrade as well as software.
    Series 1 DLP digital cinema projectors are not capable at all of this. Series 2 took over about a year and a half ago and these can do it when you install an IMB (integrated media block). This puts the image decrypting part of the server inside the projector and frees up bandwidth that can deal with the extra data required for double the frame rate. IMBs are a relatively new component and have only been available really in the past 3 or 4 months. Very expensive as well!:eek:

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    Not true at all I'm afraid. Sony projectors can do this with just a software upgrade alright but all others need a hardware upgrade as well as software.
    Series 1 DLP digital cinema projectors are not capable at all of this. Series 2 took over about a year and a half ago and these can do it when you install an IMB (integrated media block). This puts the image decrypting part of the server inside the projector and frees up bandwidth that can deal with the extra data required for double the frame rate. IMBs are a relatively new component and have only been available really in the past 3 or 4 months. Very expensive as well!:eek:

Thanks for the info. I'd only ever heard it described as just a firmware upgrade. Have you seen any 48 fps test footage yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

I have. Where before panning shots were jumpy/jittery they are super smooth now. The only thing that will take getting used to is quick movements. Overall, it makes the immersiveness of the 3D much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

VKenneally wrote: »

Emailed the omniplex and they said they weren't doing it and didn't respond when I asked why.

Booked tickets for Limerick on the 13th instead, 90 minute spin up and back but shur what can you do

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    I have. Where before panning shots were jumpy/jittery they are super smooth now. The only thing that will take getting used to is quick movements. Overall, it makes the immersiveness of the 3D much better.

Sounds good. I'm sure the first few minutes will feel very weird but I'm excited to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Full soundtrack is on Rolling Stone:

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/hobbit.html

The IMAX screen is up in Cineworld.

s81VR.jpg

They say you can check it out for free next Saturday 1pm -4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Not bad.. but could just be a very small (in stature) member of the Cineworld staff...

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Not bad.. but could just be a very small (in stature) member of the Cineworld staff...

Its from their Facebook page. They said "Cathal is not a small lad either".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I take it that's screen 17?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's some sample videos showing the differences between 24fp and higher rates at http://www.48fpsmovies.com/high-frame-rate-example-videos/.

I'm still downloading the hobbit samples, but there's a very noticeable difference with the scrolling and action clips. Just based on those, the high FPS videos do really look like that awful motion processing effect that some TVs have that makes everything look super fake. But I think part of it that it makes everything look even more 2D, so it could work really really well in 3D.

stevenmu wrote: »
    There's some sample videos showing the differences between 24fp and higher rates at http://www.48fpsmovies.com/high-frame-rate-example-videos/.

I'm still downloading the hobbit samples, but there's a very noticeable difference with the scrolling and action clips. Just based on those, the high FPS videos do really look like that awful motion processing effect that some TVs have that makes everything look super fake. But I think part of it that it makes everything look even more 2D, so it could work really really well in 3D.

Thats still the old 24fps trailer which has been processed by someone to a higher frame rate. AFAIK, the only version of the hobbit trailer in real 48fps is part of demo reel Warner Brothers made available to test upgraded projectors.

There is going to be some hugely different opinions on it after the press embargo lifts Monday night if the twitter chatter is anything to go by....

The IMAX screen is up in Cineworld.

s81VR.jpg

They say you can check it out for free next Saturday 1pm -4pm.

And this is what a real IMAX screen looks like:

IMAX-Screen.jpg

And this is what a real IMAX screen looks like:

IMAX-Screen.jpg

I know, I'd love if we had one but sure we're never going to get a big 1570 screen here in Ireland.

At least it will be a bigger screen than what Im used to seeing, with a brighter image and bigger sound. Ticket price was the same as seeing a 3D film at peak time at my local cinema too. Im lookin forward to checkin it out anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Quick glimpse of Smaug in the newest TV spot ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Zardoz

IMDB have the running time down as 166 minutes ,thats alot longer than I expected ,the trilogy could be 8 hours long !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that track "Old Friends" got me excited for this, wouldnt be the same without Shore's music. Gollum's theme is back as well.

Zardoz wrote: »
    IMDB have the running time down as 166 minutes ,thats alot longer than I expected ,the trilogy could be 8 hours long !

Yes, it is 166 mins. BBFC rating confirms it.

It's too long according to some who have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

It's been a few years since I read the book but jeez, how are they stretching it out to 7 or 8hrs long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liamalone wrote: »
    It's been a few years since I read the book but jeez, how are they stretching it out to 7 or 8hrs long :(

Because it's not the Hobbit.

It's a series of stories that happened around the time of the Hobbit, including the hobbit.

Also, for example, the battle of 5 armies is about 2 pages long in the Hobbit. It easily merits a solid 40 minutes in a film.

Liamalone wrote: »

Doesnt it dip into the appendices/expanded stories as well? some LOTR characters will make an appearance (aside from the obvious ones who were in The Hobbit book anyway)

Gbear wrote: »
    Because it's not the Hobbit.

It's a series of stories that happened around the time of the Hobbit, including the hobbit.

Also, for example, the battle of 5 armies is about 2 pages long in the Hobbit. It easily merits a solid 40 minutes in a film.

Not to mention the fact that several times in the book Gandalf just leaves Bilbo & co. and the book never covers the very important stuff that he gets up to while he is away.

Not to mention the fact that several times in the book Gandalf just leaves Bilbo & co. and the book never covers the very important stuff that he gets up to while he is away.

Isnt there a whole sidestory when he goes off to Minas Tirith to do some research into the ring in Fellowship too? Aragorn meets Gollum as well as far as I remember, thats all glossed over in the movie and the timeline is greatly reduced. Its years between Bilbos party and Frodo leaving with the ring in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

krudler wrote: »
    Isnt there a whole sidestory when he goes off to Minas Tirith to do some research into the ring in Fellowship too? Aragorn meets Gollum as well as far as I remember, thats all glossed over in the movie and the timeline is greatly reduced. Its years between Bilbos party and Frodo leaving with the ring in the book.

The Hobbit was a children's book but LOTR went to the sort of intimate detail that would even put GRR Martin to shame.

Sticking true to the hobbit would make for a pretty bad film I think - it's too condensed. The opposite is true in the LOTR. It's beautifully written but even so there was no way to fit it all into 3 movies - even with the 12 hr extended cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yep. A bit of faith :)

Any word from NZ premières how is the film?

Advertisement