Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ jaysus, how many swooping crane shots can you fit into a 2 minute clip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Deathly Hallows could easily have been done in one film. The second film is mostly CGI battle scenes.

Anyway, there quite a few clips now online. This one gives you a sense of what critics are talking about when they complain about the CGI:

I have to say, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. It's certainly exceptionally well done CGI.
    It'd probably still have been better to do it with costumes though.

I can't see anyway you could do the Hobbit in 1 film and it not be a blurry mess. Just the story of the hobbit needs 2 long films IMO.
    If you're also adding stuff about the Necromancer then I could easily see it stretching to 7 hours.
    If the 3 films are going to be 2:40 though, that's 8. So I'd say there'll be a general seam of bloatedness running throughout the series.
    I wonder is this effectively going to be the directors cut? There was a solid 3-4 hours of extra material in the extended LOTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Obligatory Wilheim scream at 37 seconds into that Goblin Chase scene...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basq wrote: »
    Obligatory Wilheim scream at 37 seconds into that Goblin Chase scene...

Heh, yeah had a giggle at that too.
    Gbear wrote: »
    I have to say, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. It's certainly exceptionally well done CGI.
    It'd probably still have been better to do it with costumes though.

I can't see anyway you could do the Hobbit in 1 film and it not be a blurry mess. Just the story of the hobbit needs 2 long films IMO.
    If you're also adding stuff about the Necromancer then I could easily see it stretching to 7 hours.
    If the 3 films are going to be 2:40 though, that's 8. So I'd say there'll be a general seam of bloatedness running throughout the series.
    I wonder is this effectively going to be the directors cut? There was a solid 3-4 hours of extra material in the extended LOTR.

I think Jackson has final cut on these films but I reckon we'll still get extended cuts too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Extended versions were confirmed a few months ago: http://collider.com/the-hobbit-extended-edition/200163/

One of the common criticisms of this film seems to be too many redundant / overstretched scenes that should have been deleted ones. Can't imagine what the four hour versions are going to be like :eek: If anything, the inevitable shorter fan edit of the three will be the one to watch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it has already been revealed that there's going to be an extended cut as well.

They still have to finish shooting the second and third film, so if anything the theatrical cuts of the next two will probably be longer now that they know there's going to be three films. Unless Jackson has contractual obligations regarding the length, which may have promoted the decision to add a third film.

I still can't get over how much Jackson is able to shoot. He obviously has no qualms about second and third units directors shooting whole scenes because there's no way he's on set for every scene.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the extended LOTR versions were the definitive versions of the movies, particularly in the case of Fellowship and TT, can't see that being the case this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Looking at that clip, it really reminded me of the RTS video game of the LOTR. For a video game it's good, for a movie it's horrendous. The CGI is excessive. The worst part is, it could have been done using sets and actors just as easily, and would have looked better.

Moria looks totally different in that clip, in comparison to LOTR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The extended versions of LotR gave the films room to breathe - proof that in rare cases more can ultimately be beneficial. The only one I don't think benefits is RotK, which IMO was too long in the first place, but definitely with Fellowship and Towers the huge amount of characters and plot are well-served by the added scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Saw it asked yesterday or hte day before - but Movies@Dundrum did their tests and got certed for the HFR showings yesterday morning - so Dundrum will be showing Hobbit in 3D and HFR from opening night. The SGC Cinema in Dungarvan are also showing it. Don't know about Swords or Gorey though, don't think so.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it has already been revealed that there's going to be an extended cut as well.

They still have to finish shooting the second and third film, so if anything the theatrical cuts of the next two will probably be longer now that they know there's going to be three films. Unless Jackson has contractual obligations regarding the length, which may have promoted the decision to add a third film.

I still can't get over how much Jackson is able to shoot. He obviously has no qualms about second and third units directors shooting whole scenes because there's no way he's on set for every scene

Its mad, to make the Nolan comparison again who you always see on set directing action sequences, like the opening of TDKR, there he was in a chopper flying alongside the stunt crew directing as it went on. James Cameron does too.

The extended versions of LotR gave the films room to breathe - proof that in rare cases more can ultimately be beneficial. The only one I don't think benefits is RotK, which IMO was too long in the first place, but definitely with Fellowship and Towers the huge amount of characters and plot are well-served by the added scenes.

Some sequences really benefited, and scenes thematically changed with the extended bits, like the Mouth Of Sauron sequence. It actually changes the reason Aragorn orders the charge on the black gate, its not to distract the army of orcs like it was in the original its to avenge Frodo after they think he's been killed and its basically a suicide run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This is the first I've heard of the Hobbit being 3 movies. 3! That's insane :eek:. I don't see how they can stretch it to that many hours, the story isn't that long. Still, if this means we'll have a very long Bilbo/Smeagal riddle scene then I'm all for it :pac:

Shame about all the CGI though - they could have made it tie in better with LoTR if they'd used more costumes and sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not Moria (iirc).

I have tickets booked for IMAX Waterloo. BFI announced a few days ago that they're not showing it in HFR, which has made a lot of punters very unhappy. I don't think I mind so much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's seriously taking the piss. I can't imagine that there's anything relevant they could possibly have to leave out given the length as it is so it'll just be trivial filler rubbish that adds nothing.
    I still can't get over how much Jackson is able to shoot. He obviously has no qualms about second and third units directors shooting whole scenes because there's no way he's on set for every scene.

Sure Andy Serkis was off on his own for large parts. I'd imagine that Jackson trusts him given how much they've done together. Serkis is class to be fair.
    PunkFreud wrote: »

It's not Moria.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

there's no way they're going to be able to justify a nine-hour running time for what is basically a short, lighthearted adventure story.

The straight BBC dramatisation for radio in the 60s was eight hours for just what is in the book.

The straight BBC dramatisation for radio in the 60s was eight hours for just what is in the book.

yeah but you can sum up a visual in a few seconds compared to describing something aurally. same as the book, a half page description of a building can be done in one shot on film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Cineworld have confirmed that the IMAX 3D screenings will be in HFR. And also in Screen 9.

Only 8 IMAX D screens in Europe showing the IMAX 3D HFR version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Vokes wrote: »

I have tickets booked for IMAX Waterloo. BFI announced a few days ago that they're not showing it in HFR, which has made a lot of punters very unhappy. I don't think I mind so much though.

Happy enough; proper 70 mm IMAX will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Cineworld have confirmed that the IMAX 3D screenings will be in HFR. And also in Screen 9.

Cheers. We are booked for Screen 9 in Cineworld, and I was trying to find out info on whether it would be the HFR version. They really should mention it on the booking page.

• Advertisement

The Hobbit: where choosing how to see a film becomes a baffling ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Do you have a list of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ See here..

Do you have a list of those?

International

CineplexX Donau Plex IMAX Vienna - Vienna, AT
    Hoyts Carousel & IMAX - Perth, AU
    Cinepolis JK Iguatemi Sao Paulo - Sao Paulo, BR
    Cinepolis IMAX Theatre - Paris, FR
    UA i-Square & IMAX - Hong Kong, CH
    United Cinemas Canal City 13 - Fukuoka, JP
    109 Cinemas Kawasaki & IMAX – Kawasaki, JP
    109 Cinemas Nagoya & IMAX - Nagoya, JP
    United Cinemas Sapporo Factory & IMAX - Saporro, JP
    109 Cinemas Shonan & IMAX – Shonan, JP
    United Cinemas Toshimaen & IMAX – Tokyo, JP
    CGV Sangam & IMAX - Seoul, KR
    CGV Wangsimni IMAX – Seoul, KR
    Pathe Arena & IMAX – Amsterdam, NL
    Shaw Theatres Lido & IMAX - Singapore-Orchard Road, SG
    Vieshow Banqiao Mega City Mall IMAX – Banqiao, TW
    Cineworld Dublin & IMAX - Dublin, IR
    ODEON Manchester & IMAX – Manchester, UK
    Cineworld Nottingham & IMAX – Nottingham, UK
    Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX - Sheffield, UK
    ODEON Swiss Cottage & IMAX - London, UK
    Cinepolis Universidad & IMAX - Mexico City

krudler wrote: »
    The Hobbit: where choosing how to see a film becomes a baffling ordeal.

Twitchfilm have a good article on what they thought of the higher frame rate version.

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/12/an-unknown-journey-the-hobbit-brings-high-frame-rates-to-the-masses.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I booked 5 tickets for a group of us on the opening week - in Cineworld & their I-cant-believe-its-not-IMAX screening - but with all the marginally negative waves emanating from this film, I'm girding my cinematic loins for eventual disappointment.

My personal loathing of 3D is being sidelined just to see this notMAX in action, it's the closest I'll likely get to seeing a proper IMAX film sadly; but otherwise, what was initially hype and excitement has given way to a broad sense of impatience - I feel like saying "fine, let's just get this over and done with".

Certainly though if the bloat & padding is as bad as people say, I'm determined not to return in a years time and further fill Jackson's bank account, not unless he promises to use the profits to hire an editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd go to see it in 3D HFR if it was in any cinema in Cork, as it's how Jackson wants his film to be watched, but considering no cinema is bothering, normal 2d version it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't think I could hack watching this in 3D for that length of time, the glasses do get sore on me ears and nose after a period of time and end up annoying me.

I really want to see the 48fps in action, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is the first I've heard of the Hobbit being 3 movies. 3! That's insane :eek:. I don't see how they can stretch it to that many hours, the story isn't that long.
    The book isn't long, but the story actually is.

I think 5-6 hours and two films would of been enough though.
    Pretty sure it's not Moria (iirc).

Yeah its Goblin Town. It's under the same mountains as Moria but further north. The fellow choose to avoid that path and went through Moria instead.

• Advertisement

Another really interesting read on HFR.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-debuts-in-48fps/

I don't know yet if I'll love or hate the look of it, but I'm really curious to see it now.

Advertisement