Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

whats the story can the dragon ****ing talk ? and is there much battles in this because i loved the battle scenes in the lotr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Smaug (the effing dragon) is THE original talking Dragon so they really really hafta nail the casting for his voice. Also yes the Hoobit climaxes in a battle called the battle of the 5 armies, and the second movie, (the tale of lost years) should have a shed load of battles in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ricero wrote: »
    whats the story can the dragon ****ing talk ? and is there much battles in this because i loved the battle scenes in the lotr.

Working from my phone here.
    Can someone plant a facepalm on the above? Sorry to sound like a tool but the battles are not the be all, of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

it'd be a crying shame if these don't get made in NZ. That kiwi union rep has been whipped up by the aussie union to make all this hassle and it's probably gonna lose them the movies. Huge loss for NZ if it happens elsewhere, for the workers there but ultimately for the quality and feel of the films as well.
    It's gotta happen there.

also, does anyone else think Peter jackson looks really really ill? like terminally? hope he isn't obviously, he's a magic filmmaker, but he doesn't look well at all.

• Advertisement

Also, HBO are filming George RR Martins Song of Fire and Ice series in Northern ireland at the moment and that's got much the same fantasy element and feel as LOTR/Hobbit so it could happen there too if NZ doesn't work out.

http://winter-is-coming.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

david75 wrote: »
    also, does anyone else think Peter jackson looks really really ill? like terminally? hope he isn't obviously, he's a magic filmmaker, but he doesn't look well at all.
    No, but he's lost a lot of weight and is the guts of a decade older than he was the last time I was paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I thought he looked great.
    he has aged but the I think he looked much healthier.
    Philipa Boyens is also a lot slimmer if I recall from the LOTR "making of" films

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Oh god well they've gone and announced who will play the hobbit..

requirements:

Looks like a hobbit
    Has an English accent
    Has zero acting talent

yeah I am biased but I just can't stand that guy, Americans won't know him, but by god we do... douche bag aarrgghh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Rumor has it that due to problems in NZ, the hobbit may move production to Ireland....

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    Rumor has it that due to problems in NZ, the hobbit may move production to Ireland....

Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I think the UK is more likely than here unfortunately! Can't wait for this one but really hope the screenplay is well devised, that they don't take poetic licence with any parts of the story and that it's a serious piece of work, I don't want it to be too cute or funny!

Studio execs are flying down to meet with New Zealand Prime Minister on Tuesday so I think if they are happy after that meeting then it will stay in New Zealand, otherwise it will probably move to the Leavesden studios in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Studio execs are flying down to meet with New Zealand Prime Minister on Tuesday so I think if they are happy after that meeting then it will stay in New Zealand, otherwise it will probably move to the Leavesden studios in England.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB7O9c-xo9ealkdq9kmJLcqCmTF1J_h4_UsalJt0BKlhywQNQ&t=1&usg=__PjUyN_IfgfBRVkEWqlbHma2VYBs=

Union Meeting.

Prime Minister? Presint!

sylvester_mccoy.jpg

Sylvester McCoy, the old Dr Who, will be the wizard Radagast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The IMDB page has rumoured cast, but doesn't say who Doug Jones is being considered to play, but other sources (e.g Deadline) suggest he'll be playing the Elven King. That site also suggests that Bill Nighy is up for the voice of Smaug, the dragon.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    The IMDB page has rumoured cast, but doesn't say who Doug Jones is being considered to play, but other sources (e.g Deadline) suggest he'll be playing the Elven King. That site also suggests that Bill Nighy is up for the voice of Smaug, the dragon.

Saw an interview with Doug a couple of days ago. He said GDT had a role lined up for him but since GDT departed from the production he hasn't heard anything from Peter Jackson.

Everything is back to normal again.

The Hobbit is staying in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, heard on the radio this morning.

Good news.

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, heard on the radio this morning.

Good news.

The Kiwis have been bricking it. I doubt that they though that it might leave?

What was the official dispute about??

• Advertisement

The Kiwis have been bricking it. I doubt that they though that it might leave?

What was the official dispute about??

Very complicated. An Australian actors union which represents a small New Zealand actors union organised all the major actors unions worldwide to boycott The Hobbit until the producers agreed to enter a collective bargaining agreement on terms & conditions of actors contracts, but this seems to be illegal under New Zealand law and neither side was backing down for a few weeks so it looked like it might have had to be filmed elsewhere.

It was the Aussies tryna poach the films on the kiwis and thats all there is too it. Huge case of sour grapes. Delighted it's back in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

James Nesbitt has signed on to play dwarf Bofur in Peter Jackson’s two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.
    The actor should feel pretty at home on the movie set, considering he’ll be among other Brit TV talents Richard Armitage (Spooks, Robin Hood), Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders).
    “James’ charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles,” says Peter Jackson. “We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast.”
    Meanwhile, acting newbie Adam Brown has been enlisted to play Ori, yet another member of the company of dwarves who set out to free the Lonely Mountain of Smaug.
    “Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence,” Jackson reveals.

They're under a number of different pressures, to make the world feel the same as that in LOTR but somehow brighter and more innocent for want of a better word, to cast it right obviously, but the biggest one, and Del Toro and Jackson have both spoken about this, is getting the voice of Smaug right. This is THE original talking dragon, it can't be 'just another talking Dragon', he's gotta be powerful and convey menace but be silky smooth while so doing.

A lot of the scenes in The Hobbit read like slapstick comedy, maybe as it was written with kids in mind, and i think the biggest pressure they're under is to make it believeable, but some of the casting decisions with the dwarves make it look like they're going for a comedy element. Which to a degree is fine, but overall could be ruinous of the tone of the whole thing.

Talk of the second film has kind of dropped off the radar, but to be honest I'm more interested in those intervening years between the Hobbit and rings, than I am in a movie of the Hobbit. Aragorns journeys in the wild, forming of the white council, big battle finale with Sauron being discovered in Dol Goldur in Mirkwood and being banished..there's a ton of great stuff in those intervening years that could be amazing and they have carte blanche because most of it is in LOTR's appendices, and far less read than the book itself, so less pressure to 'get it right'.

they have carte blanche because most of it is in LOTR's appendices, and far less read than the book itself, so less pressure to 'get it right'.

Are you MAD???
    Some of the people that read the appendices are the nutters that will complain loudest, if anything is incorrect.

(yes, yes, I have read them also)

Yeah but the hardcore(and i'm one of them) are in the microscopic minority compared to the masses these films are gonna be aimed at, but with luck jackson&weta et al bring the passion and craft to it that they brought to Rings. Whatever your feelings about their adaptation, we all have to admit they nailed the spirit of the thing. And it looked amazing.

The second film is where the magic is gonna be i think, unless they screw around with the timeline, which they didnt really at all with LOTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/07/the-hobbit-cate-blanchett-joins-the-cast-as-galadriel/

Cate Blanchett has signed on to the cast of director Peter Jackson’s adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy epic The Hobbit, reprising the role of the ethereal elf Galadriel that she played in Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah but the hardcore(and i'm one of them) are in the microscopic minority compared to the masses these films are gonna be aimed at, but with luck jackson&weta et al bring the passion and craft to it that they brought to Rings. Whatever your feelings about their adaptation, we all have to admit they nailed the spirit of the thing. And it looked amazing.

The second film is where the magic is gonna be i think, unless they screw around with the timeline, which they didnt really at all with LOTR.

I don't know about that. The first should have the
    chase under the Misty mountain, the stealing of the one ring from Gollum, the goblin/Warg attack in the forest, the eagle rescue, the meeting with Beorn, and of course all that goes on in the forest of Mirkwood
    until they reach Lake Town.

The
    Goblin/Warg attack in the forest with the Eagle rescue
    and the events in the Black Forest make for terrific reading, so I reckon Jackson has plenty of great set pieces for the first film just from those two sections of the book.

The second film could then have events from Lake Town right up to the Battle Of Five armies and the return to the Shire.

I stuck spoilers on bits of my post for people who may not have read the book.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I stuck spoilers on bits of my post for people who may not have read the book.

I miss the Tolkien forum :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I miss the Tolkien forum :(

There was a Tolkien forum here on Boards??? :eek:

Advertisement