Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Another really interesting read on HFR.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-debuts-in-48fps/

I don't know yet if I'll love or hate the look of it, but I'm really curious to see it now.

This seems like a very down to earth review of HFR, he actually gives it a chance other than deicding that he hates it straight away like most reviews I've been reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The amount of footage in total that has been released is severely discouraging. This usually only happens when a film is a load of balls. Onto that throw an embargo on reviews?? This does not bode well.

Obviously it'll be a huge hit either way. But I'm genuinely concerned as to the story and the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

david75 wrote: »
    The amount of footage in total that has been released is severely discouraging. This usually only happens when a film is a load of balls. Onto that throw an embargo on reviews?? This does not bode well.

Obviously it'll be a huge hit either way. But I'm genuinely concerned as to the story and the timeline.

All big movies and games have a review embargo these days.

I'm against reviews in any instance ao it shouldn't matter. But if it's that good surely theyd be letting the worlds media have a big circle jerk about it, no?

If LOTR wasn't too insular and niche, and the subject matter in its pure form really was let's be honest, surely the hobbit is a far more accessible and easily successful pitch for the studio no?

Easy to get me wrong. I want this to be amazing. But that clip of the dwarves running through the goblin town coupled with the slapstick hoohaa gives ke no confidence. My whole thing is, what would Tolkien say if he watched it? What would he say? I'd love to know. For this and LOTR.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The embargo was only for a week, it finished a while ago, loads of reviews online. It already has a rating on rotten tomatoes sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When is the release date in Ireland?
    I'll have to bow out of this thread then, it's not out here until the 26th, plus im away so it'll be New Year before I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Mellor wrote: »
    When is the release date in Ireland?
    I'll have to bow out of this thread then, it's not out here until the 26th, plus im away so it'll be New Year before I see it.

It's out here this Thursday the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Press screening is today isnt it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

krudler wrote: »
    Press screening is today isnt it?

Nope, Monday. I have heard there's some sort of preview on today though, and the premiere tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's out here this Thursday the 13th.
    Cheers. I'll have to disappear soon so

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nope, Monday. I have heard there's some sort of preview on today though, and the premiere tomorrow.

ah right, the lads on Click mentioned they were seeing it in cineworld 17 today, I'm kinda tempted to make a trip to Dubland to see it there, fake imax is better than no imax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought the extended LOTR versions were the definitive versions of the movies, particularly in the case of Fellowship and TT, can't see that being the case this time around.
    Saruman's death was ****e tbh, not to mention it made no sense for Gandalf to goad him out of his tower because 'he might know something'. Haven't seen the extended Fellowship but TT was alright I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sean Munsanje (@Seanmunsanje) tweeted at 1:31 PM on Sat, Dec 08, 2012:

Just saw The Hobbit in new IMAX Screen in @cineworld Dublin and omg.... its THE only way I ever want to see 3D movies again. #amazing

https://twitter.com/Seanmunsanje/status/277405109430915072

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

snausages wrote: »
    Saruman's death was ****e tbh, not to mention it made no sense for Gandalf to goad him out of his tower because 'he might know something'. Haven't seen the extended Fellowship but TT was alright I guess.

Yea, RotK didn't need an extended cut at all tbf. I remember being quite disappointed about some things in TT after I saw it in the cinema but the extended cut pretty much fixed all the problems I had with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr.S wrote: »
    There was a press screening this morning, in Cineworld (in IMAX).

General "premier" is tomorrow

Yeah it was a weird sort of press screening this morning though (they're never on Saturdays usually). I believe one of the actors was over doing interviews today. The 'official' - or at least another official! - press screening is on Monday. At least that's what the ticket says ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Yeah it was a weird sort of press screening this morning though (they're never on Saturdays usually). I believe one of the actors was over doing interviews today. The 'official' - or at least another official! - press screening is on Monday. At least that's what the ticket says ;)

Whereabouts is it on? Or when?

Jackson confirms the extended editions will have 25 minutes of extra footage. Kind of backs up the complaint that a lot of the featured footage could have been left out for the extended edition.

• Advertisement

6 minutes of hobbity goodness. See if you can resist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

How long is it screening for in 48fps in Cineworld? I swear I remember reading somewhere that it was 13th-21st but all I can find right now just says the 13th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And a question from me: I presume even with the 48fps screenings, the traditional Real3d glasses work fine - given the huge collection myself & friends have, I'd hate to think we couldn't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm undecided on whether to see it in the iSense screen in the Odeon in The Point Village or in Cineworld. Both have 48fps screenings. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Must let me know if Stephen Colbert actually makes a cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The largely quite negative reviews has me a little rattled..

.. booked my ticket straight away and was at the first showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises' (which I found disappointing), yet I'm still to pick up a ticket for 'The Hobbit'.

And it's released on my birthday too.. what is wrong with me? Have always paid far too much heed to reviews! :(

Got to see this tonight. Well it was good. Not amazing. Drags on interminably in certain parts. Lot of the action is ridiculous. But it feels amazin in terms of spirit. And the new shots of rivendell and stuff are amazing. Gollum is great. Worth seeing but missing the magic of the previous trilogy in a lot of ways.

Saw it in 3d in IMAX in the HFR. If you're not sitting in the very middle of the cinema the effect can be blurry and distracting. I'd say don't go see it in 3d or HFR for the first viewing. Save that for later if you are gonna go again. Two and a half hours I think? It does fly by in certain parts but other parts tend to drag too much. Very stoppy starty. Loads of LOTR history in it which was great.

Lot of people criticising the use of CGI but it was necessary this time around as there's no way that Jackdon could have shot on location like with the LotR series. Any outdoor location would have been swamped with film fans and media and the nightmare of dealing with that means that unfortunately green screen has to be used. As for the run time over 3 hours well I'm not going to write it off just yet as there's a lot of pretty epic stuff glossed over in the book that could easily fill 20-30 minutes of screen time.

Regarding some of the more negative reviews, is there anyone who seriously believes that the film is going to be so bad as to be a one star film. All the 1 and 2 star reviews I've seen appear to be a reviewer going against the grain for the sake of standing out a little. While the Hobbit may not be the 5 star experience we all hoped for I doubt it's anywhere near as bad as Alex Cross or The Watch or The Sutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

People at the people tonight seemed to really liked it from the twitter reactions.

Looking forward to Thursday.

Advertisement