Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kess73 wrote: »
    There was a Tolkien forum here on Boards??? :eek:

There was indeed and it was more active than some of the tumble weed forums, that still exist

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Orlando Bloom Close to Return as Legolas in 'The Hobbit'

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00037286.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom Close to Return as Legolas in 'The Hobbit'

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00037286.html

Not quite sure how Legolas could be shoehorned into the Hobbit. I know his father is in Mirkwood in the Hobbit, but Legolas is not in the book at all, and I don't think he is even mentioned in passing at any point either.

Plus as they have already had Legolas being greeted as the son of Thranduil
    in the LOTR trilogy, they cannot have the LOTR Legolas return as anyone other than the son of Thranduil, and Thranduil has to be in the film version if they are to be faithful to what happenes in Mirkwood.

The only way I could really see him used would be if he had a small part which saw him aid Bilbo and the Dwarves
    in their escape after his father locks them in the dungeon.

But that idea is also flawed as Bilbo should then have known him when both were in Rivendell in the LOTR.

Maybe I have forgotten something from the books, but I don't see how Legolas could have a decent sized role in the film of The Hobbit without some serious retcons occurring or some big plot holes being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He could have a role to play at the Battle of the Five Armies (or in the 2nd movie). Jackson can do anything he wants with it, since its barely touched upon in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Vokes wrote: »
    He could have a role to play at the Battle of the Five Armies (or in the 2nd movie). Jackson can do anything he wants with it, since its barely touched upon in the book.

Good point and a very obvious one which I had overlooked. I still feel that if Bloom comes back to reprise his role as Legolas though, that he will not be getting a small role and as such may take time from some of the solo participants in the Battle Of The Five Armies.

It won't put me off seeing the films as I think Jackson will do a great job, and there is a wealth of great material within the pages of the Hobbit for him to use.

The one character I hope he really does justice to is that of Beorn, and I am very curious as to how Mikael Persbrandt ends up looking as Beorn. I have seen him with a beard before and it works on him and his size can be further enhanced with CGI.

IMG_3808_1.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a296557/elijah-wood-to-return-for-the-hobbit.html

Elijah Wood will reportedly reprise his role as Frodo Baggins in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.

According to Lord Of The Rings website The One Ring, Wood could potentially be seen reading from the fictional Red Book Of Westmarch to introduce viewers to the world of The Hobbit.

The report added that Frodo will likely appear in the opening sequence of The Hobbit and could open the door for Sean Astin's Samwise Gamgee and hobbits Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) to return.

Orlando Bloom was recently rumoured to be reprising his role as Legolas from the original Rings trilogy, while Cate Blanchett has been confirmed to return as Galadriel.

Part one of The Hobbit, starring Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, will open in cinemas in December 2012. The sequel is expected to follow in 2013.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is slightly troubling as most of their characters aren't in the book at all. I suppose it'll be ok if they go with the flashback, it could end up being Storytime with Frodo Baggins!

Does anyone know are they still going with the first film being the whole Hobbit book and the second being a new story bridging the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR? possibly showing Aragorn as a ranger protecting The Shire amongst other things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had the good fortune to visit some Rings locations earlier this week, like Rivendell, Helms Deep (just an industrial quarry now!) and Hobbiton Woods. Really got ne hyped up to watch the films again and am now quite excited about The Hobbit. Apparently the main Hobbiton set is currently being spruced up for filming in February onwards: alas dont have the time to get out to it :( The suspicion is that much will be filmed in studio this time to avoid the fanboys!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can't wait to see this bad boy, amazing book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ian Holms rumoured to reprise his role as "Old Bilbo", how they're gonna work that in.... i dunno...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had the good fortune to visit some Rings locations earlier this week, like Rivendell, Helms Deep (just an industrial quarry now!) and Hobbiton Woods. Really got ne hyped up to watch the films again and am now quite excited about The Hobbit. Apparently the main Hobbiton set is currently being spruced up for filming in February onwards: alas dont have the time to get out to it :( The suspicion is that much will be filmed in studio this time to avoid the fanboys!

I take i you're in NZ? Theres quite a few pretty recognisable areas around Queenstown that were used in the movie that are worth a visit and pretty handy to get to. I was also where they filmed the battle of the Pelannor Fields, it was near a small town called Twizel. Been a couple of years since I was over there and been meaning to watch the movies since I got back but not got around to it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I take i you're in NZ? Theres quite a few pretty recognisable areas around Queenstown that were used in the movie that are worth a visit and pretty handy to get to. I was also where they filmed the battle of the Pelannor Fields, it was near a small town called Twizel. Been a couple of years since I was over there and been meaning to watch the movies since I got back but not got around to it yet.

Didn't see much LotR stuff down South - was in Queenstown but didn't get the chance to go adventuring for Rings locations. Did a Wellington tour so got a good bit of the sights in there (I love the fact that Isengard is a crappy public park half an hour outside Wellington). Heading home today though so no more LotR stuff, and would have been interesting a month later to see if any Hobbit locations sprung up. Definitely worth checking out a few of the locations over here though, was a great day out in Wellington anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ian McKellen finally confrmed to return as Gandalf. Andy Serkis as Gollum too.

http://www.theonering.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ian McKellen finally confrmed to return as Gandalf. Andy Serkis as Gollum too.

http://www.theonering.net/

Excellent. The films that I never wanted to end have turned out to be never-ending.

Does anyone else think its kind of a shame they didnt make this before LOTR?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hindsight is 20/20

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nah...LOTR set the tone and the pallette..Had Hobbit been made first it would have been a far more hollywood affair with big names acting in it etc(ie..effin awful)..this is kinda fitting. The middle movie(tale of lost years?) is gonna be where the real magic is i reckon..

they better get someone amazing for Smaugs voice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Getting really excited about this, so nice to have these movies to look forward to! Wonder how dark it will be or will they cater it towards younger audiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Breezed past this thread and all mention of a Hobbit film being made not really thinking about it. Now that I have, I'm pretty excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I understand them wanting to get as many people back involved in the movie but Elijah Wood playing Frodo again?

My housemate tried to justify it last night and I pwned his every response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Frodo isn't in the hobbit from what i can remember :confused:

Just Bilbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Linguo wrote: »
    Getting really excited about this, so nice to have these movies to look forward to! Wonder how dark it will be or will they cater it towards younger audiences?
    Dark? It's a children's book, and it's not like the LotR is exactly bleak either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

My housemate tried to justify it last night and I pwned his every response.

Its important to note that there are 2 movies being filmed with 2 narratives.

"current frodo" with Elijah Wood is indeed justied in making an appearence in the 2nd movie.
    Depending on how the screenplay works out, he may show up at the end with Bilbo's 111th birthday parth and taking possession of the ring.

Also, 17 long years passed from the time of Frodo taking possession of the ring to its destruction. If they use this time in the movie he would also be needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Its important to note that there are 2 movies being filmed with 2 narratives.
    Has this been confirmed though? Initially I believe it was indeed the plan to make two separate films - The Hobbit and a separate film connecting the events of The Hobbit to LOTR. However, I was under the impression that del Toro changed all this. He wanted to integrate the second film into the events of the first, thereby expanding The Hobbit into two films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He's being brought back as a narrator, possibly as they did with the old biddy in Titanic..the story will see him older(before he leaves the Shire presumably) telling the story from Bilbos book and in we go from there. His addition could be cool. What the **** Legolas is doing I dont know. Ok his da runs Mirkwood yadda yadda and apparently Bloom will only be on screen for 2 minutes(for which hes being paid over a million dollars NZ) he RUINED Legolas for me. Walking furniture..the guy cannot act.

Galadriel is neccessary as the white council and attack on Dol Goldur happened at this time.

Oh and its NOT gonna be the Hobbit and the tale of years in sequence. Theyre chopping it up and intercuting both stories together. That's official. it's also a huge change to the storyline as far as i remember. So you wont see Smaug defeated and the battle of the five armies to the end presumably.

There's room for Frodo, Aragorn(he went into the wilds and seclusion as a ranger at this time), Galadriel and one or two others but any more lotr cast members added at this point and theyre just making a hames of it.

Hugo Weaving hasnt signed back on as Elrond yet has he?

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-hobbit-to-net-orlando-bloom-1m-for-two-minute-appearance

Orlando Bloom is set to earn $1 million dollars for his upcoming return as Legolas in The Hobbit. The catch is, he will only be in the upcoming Peter Jackson directed prequel for less than two minutes, which makes his return to the The Lord of the Rings universe a fleeting cameo..................

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

!!BUMP!!

Just to bring news of more delays...

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-hobbit-delayed-while-peter-jackson-recovers-from-surgery

...turning into a proper saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Shouldn't be too much longer though...

Starting to think this movie is cursed though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

david75 wrote: »
    He's being brought back as a narrator, possibly as they did with the old biddy in Titanic..the story will see him older(before he leaves the Shire presumably) telling the story from Bilbos book and in we go from there. His addition could be cool. What the **** Legolas is doing I dont know. Ok his da runs Mirkwood yadda yadda and apparently Bloom will only be on screen for 2 minutes(for which hes being paid over a million dollars NZ) he RUINED Legolas for me. Walking furniture..the guy cannot act.

Galadriel is neccessary as the white council and attack on Dol Goldur happened at this time.

Oh and its NOT gonna be the Hobbit and the tale of years in sequence. Theyre chopping it up and intercuting both stories together. That's official. it's also a huge change to the storyline as far as i remember. So you wont see Smaug defeated and the battle of the five armies to the end presumably.

There's room for Frodo, Aragorn(he went into the wilds and seclusion as a ranger at this time), Galadriel and one or two others but any more lotr cast members added at this point and theyre just making a hames of it.

Hugo Weaving hasnt signed back on as Elrond yet has he?

Jesus.... why is it that the thinner Jackson gets the more bloated his scripts become. He was able to demand a three part telling of the Lord of the Rings, why can't he just insist on a 90min retelling of a simple story? I'm expecting a 'King Kong' level of tedium from this project.....

Advertisement